It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documents Show Army Seized Wives As Tactic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Jan 27, 2006 — The U.S. Army in Iraq has at least twice seized and jailed the wives of suspected insurgents in hopes of "leveraging" their husbands into surrender, U.S. military documents show.

In one case, a secretive task force locked up the young mother of a nursing baby, a U.S. intelligence officer reported. In the case of a second detainee, one American colonel suggested to another that they catch her husband by tacking a note to the family's door telling him "to come get his wife."

The issue of female detentions in Iraq has taken on a higher profile since kidnappers seized American journalist Jill Carroll on Jan. 7 and threatened to kill her unless all Iraqi women detainees are freed.
ABC

The US kidnapping innocent civilians, can we sink any lower? What's next, kidnapping friends, next door neighbor, someone's pool guy? Kidnapping a suspects wife? We don't even know you they are really a an insurgent! How can we claim any sort of moral high ground, win hearts and minds, how can we differentiate ourselfs from the terrorists, when we act just like they do?

EDIT: Someone made an ATSNN post the same time I did, it's HERE.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by curme]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
As an USAF brat and 13th generation american, I am disgusted with what I read here!!! Why have we lowered ourselves to destroying children and the innocent? Why are we acting worse than the beasts we are sworn to protect the population from???? To those in the U.S. Army who took the mother from the nursing child, please read this:
"The cruelest joke Satan every played on mankind was to convince them they would live forever!, you too will serve your time, be it eternal"

[edit on 27-1-2006 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It's not a new tactic, you realize that? It was used in WWII, Korean War, Vietnam and practically every other war. This is war folks; it’s not a patty cake party.

how can we differentiate ourselfs from the terrorists

You dont see a difference between blowing yourself up in crowded market and kidnapping?

The US kidnapping innocent civilians

They were wives of insurgents or terrorists, so I wouldnt be so quick to judge this. Especially since we have no information on the reasons this was done.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with Kidnapping, it's not like they're going to harm and behead these women. They're just being used as bait against the insurgents.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaVillen
Nothing wrong with Kidnapping, it's not like they're going to harm and behead these women. They're just being used as bait against the insurgents.

Yeah, it's not like we are going to torture anybody! Wait a minute... um... nevermind.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
They were wives of insurgents or terrorists, so I wouldnt be so quick to judge this. Especially since we have no information on the reasons this was done.

Hmm, more dangerous thinking imo. So it's OK to do this to "wives of insurgents or terrorists"? Do they share their husbands politics? Would they be allowed to have a differing view? Would they be allowed to voice said views? So because Fatima married Achmed 20 years ago that makes her a viable target?

Unplug man, not every Muslim is a terrorist, or a threat. Your fear is making you as bad as the terrorists. What's next, breaking the legs of the "insurgents or terrorists" kids legs so that you can get intel that you need?

Believe me, I went easy on you here, I could have been more graphic.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have one question. Does it work?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I have one question. Does it work?

I have another question Grady, after reading my post, should that matter?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Hmm, more dangerous thinking imo. So it's OK to do this to "wives of insurgents or terrorists"? Do they share their husbands politics? Would they be allowed to have a differing view? Would they be allowed to voice said views? So because Fatima married Achmed 20 years ago that makes her a viable target?

Unplug man, not every Muslim is a terrorist, or a threat. Your fear is making you as bad as the terrorists. What's next, breaking the legs of the "insurgents or terrorists" kids legs so that you can get intel that you need?

Believe me, I went easy on you here, I could have been more graphic.

They dont say "War is hell" for nothing. What do you expect the military to do when they are facing such a violent enemy? We didnt start making real head way in the pacific until we bacame as brutal as the enemy.

I'm not saying I like the idea of the US kidnapping Iraqis. However, this is war and I want us to win it. If that means kidnapping insurgent's wives to bait them, than I say go for it. I'm not in the business of hamstringing our military.

Yes, it matters and I would ask one more question. Were they treated appropriately? It's a dirty war with an enemy that know no bounds. The relatives of these scoundrels under the right circumstances are fair game.

Absolutely! These woman should be respected and treated as guests and than released unharmed.

They dont say "War is hell" for nothing.

That's the saddest sentance I have read on this site. I have read many. :shk:

I don't think we need to engage further, you are truely blind.

I need a shower.

Oh give me a break. If you have to ignore the fact that in war, sometimes you have to do bad things, than you are the one who is blind. Please explain to me why we shouldnt kidnap an insurgents wife if she can help stop an attack? Of course i'm being hypothetical here since we dont know the facts of this story.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes, it matters and I would ask one more question. Were they treated appropriately? It's a dirty war with an enemy that knowd no bounds. The relatives of these scoundrels under the right circumstances are fair game.

[edit on 2006/1/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I need a shower.

Edt: To show that I can edit a post afterwards too to make a point. Nice try Dronetek.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The relatives of these scoundrels under the right circumstances are fair game.

Even though they have NO control over their circumstances? Would you throw a kid(12) of a crack head into jail because of his father's activity?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Would you throw a kid(12) of a crack head into jail because of his father's activity?

How is this even slightly comparable to stoping a care bomb attack that kills 50+?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We already knew this was going on. Why all the fuss all of a sudden? We've known since the start of the war that the allies were targeting family members of suspected terrorists, in order to exploit them for intelligence as well as use them as bargaining chips in the attempt to turn their relatives for use in counter intel operations, right?

It was wrong when we started doing it, it's wrong now. The people justifying it by saying "This is war! War is Hell!", they consistently fail to realize they're using the exact same justification for violence as their enemies. Then it becomes, "He hit me first!" and we all know that goes nowhere. When is a responsible adult going to step in and teach these hormonally challenged children a lesson?

The values we're ostensibly defending have been compromised thoroughly. Justice and Freedom, make way for Expediency and False Security.
The new American values.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Even though they have NO control over their circumstances? Would you throw a kid(12) of a crack head into jail because of his father's activity?

I don't think that's a fair analogy, but the truth is that the police here in Albuquerque who wanted to arrest one of my clients, who has been alluding them for weeks, had me set him up with a visit with his kids where they were being sheltered and then had me answer the phone there to reassure him through the process that the "coast was clear."

I didn't have a problem doing it, because he was a very bad man who needed to face justice, but I made it clear to the police that I don't betray the trust of my clients lightly. Sometimes creative responses are necessary under dire conditions

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I need a shower.

Edt: To show that I can edit a post afterwards too to make a point. Nice try Dronetek.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by intrepid]

Reread my post.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I don't think that's a fair analogy,

Sorry for the snip Grady but I find it very fair, we're talking about that part of the world, not here. They have a different way of life. Exporting our way of life is only going to be resisted, # man we're young compared to the rest of the world. Maybe that's why we can't see anything other than our own lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   

It's not a new tactic, you realize that? It was used in WWII, Korean War, Vietnam and practically every other war. This is war folks; it’s not a patty cake party.

*a one liner insult is not a post*

[edit on 27-1-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
Why have we lowered ourselves to destroying children and the innocent? Why are we acting worse than the beasts we are sworn to protect the population from????

[edit on 27-1-2006 by GrndLkNatv]

Sorry, but no where in the link does it say that the US destroyed any children. That is your interpretation of what you read.

If holding an insurgents family to gain the arrest of the insurgent, then so be it. What is wrong with that? It could save some lives in the long run. Do you not see this? The wife of an insurgent would probably know what their husband is contemplating, therefore they can claim no moral justice, just as you or I could claim it if we aided and abetted any kind of criminal.

I guess you are anti War, thats fine, but realize just what these guys are going through (the coalition),and exactly what they are trying to achieve through orders from above. Arm chairs are fine and comfy, until you get into the field of combat. Thats when it counts..... Be there. do it. wear the shirt. Then complain about the injustice of it.

One last thing, don't forget about all the Western hostages that were held hostage and subjected to mutilation or worse..............

Insurgents? you have seen nothing, nor, i doubt, fully understand what it is all about...........

Eddie out.........................................

[edit on 27-1-2006 by Bikereddie]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Since the wives in Muslim culture are submissive, its pretty much we have to assume that they know what their husbands are doing. As we have seen in the interrogation where the wives have resisted the questions and misinform the interrogators. After all where do terrorists and insurgents go when they finish today's work? Wives should know.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by deltaboy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join