It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Passport Ring Linked to Al-Qaeda Busted in Columbia (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Nineteen individuals so far have been nabbed in various cities around Columbia by authorities who say the group supplied Columbian passports to members of Al-Qaeda and Hamas. The group reportedly made counterfeit Colombian, Spanish, Portugese and German passports which could have been used by terrorists to enter the United States and countries in Europe. Currently eight individuals are being searched for in the United States for aiding with the passport scheme.

www.forbes.com
Colombia has dismantled a false passport ring with links to al-Qaida and Hamas militants, the acting attorney general said Thursday after authorities led dozens of simultaneous raids across five cities.

The gang allegedly supplied an unknown number of citizens from Pakistan, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt and other countries with false passports and Colombian nationality without them ever stepping foot in the country.

An undisclosed number of those arrested are wanted for working with the al-Qaida terror network and the militant Palestinian group Hamas, said acting Attorney General Jorge Armando Otalora.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good to know that the ring has been busted, but we don't know if any terrorist or unscrupulous individuals made it legally thru our borders with these fake passports. This ring has been under investigation since 2002, so hopefully officials of both the U.S. and Columbia have a grasp and idea of exactly who is doing what.

Related News Links:
www.breitbart.com

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
My apologies but it seems this story has a different spin also and honestly I'm not sure if the Columbians has it right or the US has it right.

Colombia busts 'passport ring'

In Washington, however, justice and homeland security officials were surprised by the announcement on Thursday of the investigation, which they said involved people posing as members of Colombia's largest rebel army, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC - not al-Qaeda or Hamas.

Al-Qaeda, Hamas, FARC or another Columbian terrorist group? I don't know.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Very early reports also indicated there were ties to al-Qaeda so I would not let it bother you.

Forbes unlike other news seems to be rather good because it appears they get the facts straight from the get go.

Regardless which group it is, they are still making fake passports and that alone is not a good thing.

join