It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gore "Losing It" - Attacks Canada This time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by sardion2000
Obviously you're yet another American who is Ignorant of our Political system.

Please add me to that list and, I'm really sorry to have to say it, but, I'd rather read a treatise on arcane anal bleaching methods than to read about Canadian politics.

It's okay, at least you're not making any assumption on how our system is affected by a conservative minority government.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Please add me to that list and, I'm really sorry to have to say it, but, I'd rather read a treatise on arcane anal bleaching methods than to read about Canadian politics.

Not a good quote Grady. It would be advisable to know something about the political climate of the nation that sells you the majority of that lovely substance that keeps America's economy rolling.

As for Al Gore, he's just playing politics, who cares on either side of the border?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry intrepid, but the mechanics of Canadian politics has never even crossed my mind until this last election and the last Canadian politician I could name started drawing cartoons or something. I somehow think that Canadians would be happier, too, if they worried less about American politics. We pay the State Department to worry about such stuff.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hey guys,
Im a 22year old Canadian who actually lives 25 minutes from the tarsands mining, in a city called Ft.McMurray.
I can tell u the Conservates got 5-6 times more votes then any other party in ft.mcmurray.
AND the reason why so many people voted for Harper is because the Liberal government has screwed Canadians over for years. They have stolen money and acted in the interests over only 1/14th of Canada. We really wanted a change. our health care is getting worse, crime is up, our military is a joke, canada-us relations r bad.
We really needed a change.
Also Ft.McMurray has 10 times more oil then anywhere over east.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

We pay the State Department to worry about such stuff.

That's dangerous thinking Grady, you want to take someone else telling YOU how to think on issues? Eeee, I wouldn't.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm not suggesting that we should not be apprised of important events of the world and how they affect the rest of the world, but the dynamics of Canadian politics, or British politics, or Guamanian politics isn't going to tie up very much of my remaining years. I don't need to know how to make a watch to be able to tell time.

[edit on 2006/1/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Oh my word..

"Blah blah blah..Gore is just playing politics.. Gore is ignorant of our polical system... Just because **I** say so.. Bleeh blahh. bleeeet.. (As the needle rips off the record)

One thing is for sure.. Gore sure has your ultra conservative/liberal (Whatever you are) panties in a wad. (This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.)

So far this is just another I hate (Insert polical figure here) thread.

Come on Sardion, you can do better than that.

Give us some sort of outline (give us some examples) as to why you think Gore is Ignorant of your political system. Maybe you will edumicate' us in the process.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by TxSecret]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Sardion, an ultra-conservative?

This election had absolutely nothing to do with issues. It was about punishing a party that had become greedy and complacent.

Give it an election or two and the Liberals will be running this country again. Either the moderate Conservatives will tire of Harper catering to the more extreme members or the more extreme members will get mad because he is seen as too moderate.

Gore could have no way of knowing who has donated to the Conservative campaign after the election was called. Elections Canada has not released the information yet. The Conservatives submitted their report less than 3 weeks ago and no government agency in Canada moves anywhere near that fast.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Oh that's right.. Sardion is a New Dem... Ok. Edited my last post.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggd
the Liberal government has... stolen money

I agree there.

and acted in the interests over only 1/14th of Canada.

I dont see how reducing unemployment to record lows and creating an economy, which is arguably the best in the world, to be in the interest of only 1/14th of Canadians.

our health care is getting worse, crime is up, our military is a joke, canada-us relations r bad.

First off, I agree that health care is bad, but I dont see how a conservative goverment will make it better. Granted, Harper is planning on making each province more independent when it comes to certain issues. I dont know if this includes health care. Could someone fill me in on that please? Is healthcare going to be a national matter or provincial? Thanks.
Crime is going up in Toronto, not really anywhere else. If Harper is so against the gun regisrty, why did he vote for it? Mind you, i think the gun registry is a load of crap. No gang member is going to register their gun before shooting someone. Harpers idea of putting extra cops on the street is not going to stop crime. Police are on the scene after a crime is commited. There needs to be better pre-crime initiatives, like triplet pre-cog's who can see the future. HAHAHHAA...sorry just had to slip that in. But seriously, we need more help with stopping illegal guns from getting into criminals hands. I dont know exactly how we can accomplish this, but i know putting officers on the street wont help.
As for our military being a joke, thats true. But when was the last time we actually needed a substanial amount of soldiers to go into battle? WE have about 1100 soldiers in Afghanistan, but this is nothing relative to the 18000 that the US has deployed there. We dont need a growing army at this time. I wish they would spend that money on something more social.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Is healthcare going to be a national matter or provincial?

Kinda sorta both. It's up to the provinces to allocate the transfer payments and the Canada Healthcare Act was inacted by the Feds to mandate that every province must provide a minimum of services. We have a fix for some of the waiting list issues with routine procedures and surprisingly it came from a Conservative from Alberta no less. Cannot find the thread right now but I'm sure someone will be able to find it. It basically entails setting up dedicated centers for say Back Surgeries or Knee/Hip Replacements so it cuts down on the setup time which is quite a time sink. It cut the waiting lists in alberta from like 4 months to 5 weeks(or something along those lines) If Harper mandates that something like that be spread all across Canada I will applaud him.(The experiment was done with purely public money as well)

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Give us some sort of outline (give us some examples) as to why you think Gore is Ignorant of your political system. Maybe you will edumicate' us in the process.

Like duzey said the political contributions have not been announced as of yet that is why I think he is ignorant of my countries political system. By the way I'm just about as opposite of an UltraConservative as you'll get on these boards
I'm just realistic.

Now a little education.

A Minority Goverment is like a President who's own party doesn't control the Congress or Senate(like Clinton and like Bush will be this year hopefully
).

Harper is a Lame Duck and he'll stay that way thank god.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Yes, now Al Gore (self-proclaimed inventor of the internet) has turned his fire and brimstone on our neighbors to the north - Canada.

First of all, Mr. information, that attribution (self-proclaimed invento of the internet) was incorrect and then futher perverted. By the likes of hacks Rush Limbaugh and whoever emulated him (faux "news").

Second of all, if this current Al Gore had been around in 2000, the Bush cartel would not have been able to manipulate the election the way the did. Gore's a rehibilitated man, politically speaking, and unlike so many in the Dem/Repub. apparatus', he is hiw own man: meaning, he is not beholden to anyone anymore, so he is speaking his mind.I say good for him. If this Algore had been around in 2000, he would have gotten my vote.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
In fact, Harper was talking smack after the US refused to acknowledge that the Arctic is ours.

That's right, stay off the ice!

Really the ice is Russia's they are grabbing the rights to by far the biggest chunk of the Artic more then half I think. The rest is going to be divided between the US, Canada and I think Demark.

Most people might not give a hoot about the artric but since its estimated that 1/4 of the earth remaining resources are in the artic regoins it can become very important.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Great discussion guys.

And don't listen to them sardion. You da bomb.

Got this in the mail today, it's a good read and an amusing analysis...

The new prime minister has the support of less than 36 percent of the population. This is not a mandate to do anything but tread political water. Harper will get only two of his major campaign planks easily passed in the house. One, the GST cut, will go through because it is a budget item and to defeat it would mean another election -- it just won't happen. ...Ironically, the other major piece of the Conservative campaign that will easily pass is one that Harper actually has no real stomach for, his so-called Federal Accountability Act. This is richly ironic for a politician who spent most of his career defending corporate money in elections. Now he has to follow through on the centrepiece of his campaign.

As for his other right-wing promises, they are essentially still-born in a parliament where he is surrounded by parties either on the left, or pretending to be. His pledge to get out of Kyoto? Dead in the water. To reverse the Liberals' start on creating a national child care infrastructure? Ditto. Revisiting missile defence? Forget it. Reopening the historic Kelowna accord with First Nations? Not unless they have a keen desire for being pilloried by every First Nations' organization and every premier in the country. All of these promises are history because he has no mandate, nor the numbers, to pursue them. Will he mess with the long term agreement on Medicare? Maybe. But it would be a risky venture.

And what does this mean for the people to whom he made the promises? The extremists in the party in BC -- where racism towards First Nations, visceral hostility to abortion, opposition to the whole notion of child care, and a pro-war mentality are alive and well -- will be extremely unhappy when they realize their favourite policies are going nowhere. These are not people who appreciate the nuances of politics, the need for compromise or the fact that Harper received the support of barely more than a third of Canadians. For them it is simple: he's the prime minister, he should do what we want. Now that the election is over the howling of the populist right could begin in earnest, and not just from supporters. Harper managed to keep his old Reform MPs quiet for 55 days. To keep them, especially the right-wing Christians and anti-abortionists, quiet until the next election would take divine intervention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join