It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Turns Back On New Hamas Leadership

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Though winning this weeks election, Israel has opted out of talks with Hamas. The US and and other European nations said thursday, that unless violence was rejected and the threat to destroy Israel is dropped, no legitimate government would be recognized.

cnn.netscape.cnn.com
Israel went a predictable step further. Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert issued a statement saying, ``The state of Israel will not negotiate with a Palestinian administration if even part of it is an armed terrorist organization calling for the destruction of the state of Israel.''

President Bush said, ``If your platform is the destruction of Israel, it means you're not a partner in peace, and we're interested in peace.'' Similar statements came from other parts of the world.

Hamas campaigned mainly on cleaning up the corrupt Palestinian Authority - playing down the conflict with Israel - and Hamas leader Mahmoud Zahar said Thursday that Hamas planned to completely overhaul the government.

``We are going to change every aspect, as regards the economy, as regards industry, as regards agriculture, as regards social aid, as regards health, administration, education,'' he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So this is what we do? We encourage democracy. Heck, we go to war to BRING democracy. But when a government is freely elected by the people, and we don't like it, we just turn our backs and walk? The Palestinian people have the right to elect whom they choose. And while, yes, Arafat was insane, he's dead now. The platform which these people ran on was not the destruction of Israel.

If Israel wants to show the world that they are serious in their peace attempts, they can not turn their backs on these people. Both sides are guilty. Only both sides can restart. But by taking this stance, its as if Israel has thrown down the proverbial gauntlet.

Also, when other muslim countries see this, what will they think about us and our "democracy" That it is nothing more than another puppet regime? It seems that way to me.

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com
www.guardian.co.uk
www.turkishweekly.net

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
they chose, they should and you should accept the response, hamas doesnt recognise israel and intend to destroy israel, why should we accept them suddenly because they have power when their intent of violence and destruction of israel hasnt changed?

screw what other muslims think, they dont seem to care what we think of them supporting terrorism but then call us racist for stating they all support terrorism, this election shows their intent is not of peace with israel and probably never was or will be.

israel has already showed they want peace, the palestinians have not, what concessions have they made EVER?

israel has many times tried and gave concessions of no benefit of israels, the palestinians are only giving demands only favoring themselves and its what they want or nothing else.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by namehere]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Though winning this weeks election, Israel has opted out of talks with Hamas. The US and and other European nations said thursday, that unless violence was rejected and the threat to destroy Israel is dropped, no legitimate government would be recognized.

I support Israel, but if the people of those tertitories elected those people, who am I to say what is good there?

I'm just a white bread analyst.

With one field trip to the mideast under my belt.

We should negotiate with them. We might be surprised at how amenable things could become.

Palestinians are definitely people too.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Great point spliff4020, But if you have not already noticed Isreal only plays BY THERE RULES that only they can play by. If anything this will just go to show Israel does not want peace. Like come on what does Isreal/US want Palestinians to vote for a yale educated leader that will brown nose Isreal ?
. Bottom line, Palestinians have voted and if you dont like who they voted why give them a democracy ?.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by helium3]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
oppps please delete

[edit on 27-1-2006 by helium3]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Regardless, Hamas is a terrorist organization.So the palestinians have opted for a terroristic regime,therefore how can they be for peace?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The Palestinians elected a Terrorist government, Democracy succeded, they got what they voted for, The whole "you wanted democracy now ya got it accept it" argument is BS and you all damn well know it, We dont negotiate with terrorists, thats what Hamas is, Our leaders have said they will not negotiate with Hamas unless they renounce terrorism, The card is in Hamas/the Palestinians hands, They are the ones who decide if peace comes or not, Whats so hard about renouncing terorism? Thats all they gotta do.

I still dont get how some of you people feel so sorry for those poor Palestinians, Why is it ok for them to scream death to Isreal? for them to blow themselves up? for them to scream death to the west? and so on and so on, But if an Isreali or any one else says anthing remotely bad about Palestinains, they are called racists? The double standard is BS.

You people need to realise this ffs, There will never be peace in the middle east, The Palestinians will never accept Isreal no matter how many negotians take place, no mater how much the tree huggers want it, its not going to happen until one side is eliminated, Isreal can give up all but 1 square foot of soil and the Palestians will still whine and still blow themselves up for allah, over the fact that Isreal owns 1 square foot os soil. I dont understand why you people have so much hope for peace in that land.

[edit on 28-1-2006 by C0le]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
If Israel wants to show the world that they are serious in
their peace attempts, they can not turn their backs on these
people.

Sorry Spliff but even if Israel said they'd talk to Hamas it
wouldn't do any good. The only reason Hamas exists
is to destroy Israel and the Jews. They declared war on
Israel. So Hamas wouldn't want to talk to Israel ... except
to yell at them to get out of that part of the world.

Israel already showed the world it was serious in it's peace
attempts. They were ready to give away the whole enchalada
with Bill Clinton's talks at Camp David.

Everything rests with the Palestinians and Hamas now. It's
all up to them and frankly, it doesn't look good.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
*ahem*

Need we be taken back to history class?
Waaaaay back in 1776, a group of revolutionaries in the American coloniesdeclared their independence against the Empire of Britain. Now, how would the world's superpower view be on this? Not only having lost their influence in a large area of the globe, but having lost many of their sons in battle against the said revolutionaries.
Don't post without reading the rest, as some are wont to do..
I am in no way condoning Hamas, a group whose main goal is the destruction of Israel. They have commited atrocities that do not further their cause, and set them ever back in the eyes of the world. Frankly, the acts these people are the cause of sickens me. I would gladly see their hate, which has been whipped and frothed to this insane level) wiped off the earth.
That being said, the case today is that they have been elected as the caretakers of the Palestinian people. This isn't Bolivia, this isn't Iceland. Palestine and Isreal sit astride the hearth of Mideast and western world culture. This has been the hotspot for conflict for thousands of years. With todays technology, the whole world literally *is* watching the developments. Hamas has been elected to power and, in many ways, represent the whole extremist ideology of the middle east
It is my belief that, for better or worse, the whole game has just been stepped up a notch. The extremist ideology has representation and, further, has a responsibility.

``We are going to change every aspect, as regards the economy, as regards industry, as regards agriculture, as regards social aid, as regards health, administration, education,'' he said.

The ball is in Hamas' court now. Either they take responsibility for their position in the world and contribute to regional and global well being, or they piss it away in what will be seen as the descent of madness or a valient struggle against the great satan, depending on which lens you choose to hold.
The western world cannot embrace Hamas with open arms, nor would I want them to. If I were in the ears of western leaders, I would tell them to do almost exactly as they are doing now. Refuse to acknowledge a legitimate government untill a rejection of violence as a political tool. Nobody can have peace, less an integrated state, while they are at eachother's throats. That is to say, keep a close eye on your neighbor, Isreal. Have faith in him, but do NOT go so far as to trust him.
In as many words, this is the most significant development in some time. Hold out for hope in this matter. What happens now will reverberate down for decades, centuries. In essence, We (as humankind) cannot f--- this one up.

top topics

join