It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealth Differentials Make the USA More Vulnerable?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Poor nations might be relatively jealous of rich nations, which leads to animosity, which leads to hatred, which leads to violence. Spreading wealth might be a world policy to reduce violence/terrorism.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
You have to realize that spreading wealth would make us even weaker since there are a finite amount of resources in the world. Think of it like spreading copper. If we have all the copper, why give it to other people?

[edit on 1/27/06 by RedDragon]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
So we should work extra hard to give money to the world so they done hate us? That sounds both pathetic and dangerous.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
CNN presented the findings of "two liberal think tanks – the Economic Policy Institute and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities" who discovered that the wage disparity between the rich and the (working) poor in certain states (ie, MA, TN, NY, and NJ) has grown greatly in the last 20 years, and not in the way we'd like: the rich have benefitted most drastically.

It would appear that the wage gap WITHIN the US would be more of an immediate issue than any external problem.

Didn't someone predict a civil war?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
How do you go from pay gaps to civil war?

It was John Titor who predicted a civil war. Although the time hes said it would happen has passed.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
How do you go from pay gaps to civil war?

It was John Titor who predicted a civil war. Although the time hes said it would happen has passed.

Um, when people don't have money to eat and pay rent, they generally do tend to revolt. Remember the French Revolution?

I'm not really a Titor fan, to be honest, but I do think the convergence of market trends with prophecy, even if it is mis- timed, it kind of interesting and worth keeping an eye on.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

Um, when people don't have money to eat and pay rent, they generally do tend to revolt. Remember the French Revolution?

You can research more on the French Revolution and the causes that lead to it in the first place. It was more than just no money.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Thanks for all you comments. RedDragon, you brought up a good point about a finite quantity of resources, but remember that unless you are omniscient, perceived resources can be thought of growing in at least two ways: 1) undiscovered resources become available, and 2) discovered resources are put to better use. It is my belief that we do not know everything about the resources we do have and their potential.

Charity is a "supernatural virtue": it is a great act of kindness of the giver, and frequently puts a smile on the face of the receiver.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

You can research more on the French Revolution and the causes that lead to it in the first place. It was more than just no money.

You're right; it wasn't "just no money." And all I knew were the basics about the French Revolution, since that's not really my area of history, but I took a look at wiki and found some actual facts.

Causes of the French Revolution include the following:

1. A bad economic situation as well as an unmanageable national debt, both caused by and exacerbating the burden of a grossly inequitable system of taxation and France's funding of the American Revolution.
  2. Resentment of royal absolutism (described as "divine right," which I didnt know... see also Senator Says Bush Is Acting Like 'King George').
  3. Aspiration for liberty and republicanism
  4. Resentment of Manorialism (seigneurialism) by peasants, wage-earners, and, to a lesser extent, the bourgeoisie
  5. The rise of enlightenment ideals.
  6. Food scarcity in the months immediately before the revolution (which, between mad cow, bird flu, and monsanto, is a medium- term possibility).
  7. Resentment at noble privilege and dominance in public life by the ambitious professional classes.
  8. Resentment of religious intolerance.
  9. The failure of Louis XVI to deal effectively with these phenomena.

Sorry to say, but none of those really sound that far-fetched, and some are already in place here...what do you think?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
your idea has already been proven not to work. the US is the worlds largest giver of donations. look it up. you'll see that we give more money to other nations than any other country in the world. and yet, we are still hated. it has nothing to do with how generous you are. we are the world superpower. historically, the dominant country in the world is both coveted and hated by everyone else. just a fact of life at the top.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
we are the world superpower. historically, the dominant country in the world is both coveted and hated by everyone else. just a fact of life at the top.

Yes and we want to stay at the top

new topics

top topics

join