It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The Hamas Victory Is Great News!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
When I first heard about the Hamas victory I was stunned.

Then I read this article. It will change the way you think of the election.

Hamas now will have to show to the Arab world that an Islamic party that wins a democratic election — everyone’s nightmarish scenario — is not as bad as it seems. For now, the Palestinians have chosen an Islamic option over a secular one. Let them have it. Let them enjoy life under Sharia. It is their choice — that is what self-determination is about — and we must respect it. After all, the spectacle of an Arab government that is defeated in a fair and free election, and that as a consequence resigns (resigns!), has no precedent in the Arab world. This is good news.

There will be no excuses or ambiguities when Hamas fires rockets on Israel and launches suicide attacks against civilian targets. Until Tuesday, the PA could hide behind the excuse that they were not directly responsible and they could not rein in the "militants." Now the "militants" are the militia of the ruling party. They are one and the same with the Palestinian Authority. If they bomb Israel from Gaza — not under occupation anymore, and is therefore, technically, part of the Palestinian state the PLO proclaimed in Algiers in 1988, but never bothered to take responsibility for — that is an act of war, "

There's more folks. Lot's more. www.nationalreview.com.../comment/ottolenghi200601261002.asp

mod edit: removed duplicate paragraph

[edit on 27-1-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I believe you are correct. Hamas is now a majority in the government as a result of the will of the palestinian people. Now when they attack Israel, it will be an ACT OF WAR and Israel will have no choice but to react in only the severest of terms. I believe the palestinians have shot themselves in the foot!! This could be a good thing. ...or it could launch another world war--a religious war no less

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
why would a possible large scale war with many innocents dying on both sides in the middle east be a good thing? let me tell u, i dont think hamas winning this election is a completely great occurance, but there are two democratic election results in the last 6 years that made me lose more hope for mankind.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I doubt Isreal will anything different from what it's done in the past against Hamas suicide bombers. They will probably just assasinate and kill more Palestinian leaders or people like they always do.

Iran is who Isreal has to worry about, especially if Isreal does anything stupid like bomb Iran Nuclear sites. I was watching one of the major news channels the other day (either CNN or FOX NEWS) and they showed an Iranian skud launcher. So maybe Iran might retaliate the good old IRAQI way from the first Gulf War.

Everyone keeps talking about March being the month that will decide alot of things, and it's beggining to look that way more and more as the days go by.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
hey psychomike.....why are thr first two paragraphs identical except for the quotes? Just wondering....lol

I do agree with you, but I don't think Israel has the guts to retaliate; it will remain the same fighting and bickering.....

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i give him 2 months max before something big happens there

who know though all we can do and stand back and watch and prepare

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Good news for warmongers.
Senseless death YAY!

Please fix your post aswell you have double typed a paragraph.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Agreed,

This is only good news for those seeking for more justification to kill people.

I hope the situation doesnt turn out as bad as some want it to.

ps nice avatar wang

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Yeah I agree. Let them reap what they've sown.

Either Hamas will change, or it will be responsible for another failure for the Palestinian people. It's their choice.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Would you put it past Israeli agents to lob a rocket from Palestine to Israel in order to make it look like Israel was attacked in order to justify war? Isn't this the same group that staged terrorist attacks against U.S. interests years ago in order to make it look like someone else was doing it so we would attack someone else?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
why would a possible large scale war with many innocents dying on both sides in the middle east be a good thing?

It's never a "good" thing. But nonetheless, it's sometimes necessary

let me tell u, i dont think hamas winning this election is a completely great occurance, but there are two democratic election results in the last 6 years that made me lose more hope for mankind.

Perhaps when the Israelis strike back in a "severe" manner for continued Palestinian attacks, the Palestians will then realize their mistake and vote otherwise in the future. This is why Democracy is a good thing.

Why do democratic elections make you lose hope for man kind?

[edit on 27-1-2006 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Would you put it past Israeli agents to lob a rocket from Palestine to Israel in order to make it look like Israel was attacked in order to justify war? Isn't this the same group that staged terrorist attacks against U.S. interests years ago in order to make it look like someone else was doing it so we would attack someone else?

Would you put it past Hamas to load a bunch of women and children into a house, lob a rocket at it and claim that the Israeli army is targeting innocents and justify attacks on Israeli citizens.

That game works both ways.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaVillen
Iran is who Isreal has to worry about, especially if Isreal does anything stupid like bomb Iran Nuclear sites.

The reason Israel will have to bomb Iran's nuclear sites is because, as you said, they have something to worry about. Iran has not held back on their desire for Israel to be "wiped off the face of the map."

DaVillen;

Let's assume for a moment, that you and your family live in a part of the country/world where you can't call 911, or any emergency number, for the police. You are "on your own" for your own security. Your neighbor yells in your back yard that he thinks your a filthy pig and that he'd like to see you removed from the neighborhood. All the while, he's carrying around a deadly weapon; occassionaly pointing it in your direction. What would you do? I know what I would do. He'd be one dead MF. And if his family got cought in the cross-fire; then so be it because there's nothing more important to me than my family. This is human nature. If you would do anything different, then natural selection certainly would win!

I was watching one of the major news channels the other day (either CNN or FOX NEWS) and they showed an Iranian skud launcher. So maybe Iran might retaliate the good old IRAQI way from the first Gulf War.

Not likely if they have nuclear capability.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang
Good news for warmongers.
Senseless death YAY!

This post is almost not worth responding to.

I might suggest it's bad news for the warmongers (Hamas). It is in their Charter that they elliminate Israel. It will be the Palestininas who will reap the consequences for the actions of their government (Hamas, a known terrorist organization). With Hamas in control, there will never be a soveriegn Palestinian state.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
Agreed,

This is only good news for those seeking for more justification to kill people.

I hope the situation doesnt turn out as bad as some want it to.

ps nice avatar wang

The only people looking for justification to kill people are Muslim countries hell-bent on destroying Israel. Israel has the right to defend herself.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
the last two election results in the usa made me lose more hope for humans then the results of hamas winning such power . has the world come closer to complete distruction or closer to a lasting peace since W won in 2000 and 2004. hamas winning is just icing on the cake. the power change in america since 2000 is the cake.

forgive my poor posting skills, ive never tried to take quotes from anyone, and i see that i still need to learn. peace out

[edit on 27-1-2006 by elitegamer23]

mod edit: formatting.
Quote Reference.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

So maybe Iran might retaliate the good old IRAQI way from the first Gulf War.

Uh, anyone who recalls the actual events of that war knows that Iraq's launching of scuds into Israel was not retaliation for anything Israel had done, but rather was a desperate attempt to break up the Coalition by hoping that Israel would fight back and that would cause Muslim countries to drop it.

Seriously man... what channel were you watching to think that was "retaliation"?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

killing innocent men,women and children will accomplish nothing especially peace , isnt that our goal here?

You need to study up on WWII. Tens of thousands of innocents died in that war; yet today, we are "at peace" with Germany AND Japan. In fact, they are allies!! Despite those deaths, Millions were spared their lives as brutal leaders, and their parties, were destroyed or eliminated.

let me tell u, i dont think hamas winning this election is a completely great occurance, but there are two democratic election results in the last 6 years that made me lose more hope for mankind.

the last two election results in the usa made me lose more hope for humans then the results of hamas winning such power . has the world come closer to complete distruction or closer to a lasting peace since W won in 2000 and 2004. hamas winning is just icing on the cake. the power change in america since 2000 is the cake.

Please support your position. We haven't had a successful attack on our country due directly to the actions of Bush and his administration (though, there have been MANY attempts).

Some AL Franken like slob got your ear and you haven't done your research. You're simply "alliterating" left wing propaganda. Democratic nations are inherently more at peace than non-democratic nations.

The beautiful thing about the Palestinian elections is that Hamas is not only responsible for the security of Palestine, but also for its infra-structure; of which they have relatively very little. When the Palestinians basic needs aren't being met by Hamas, they will be replaced--in due time.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
do u consider yourself an innocent man freedom for sum? if u should perish in any future terrorist attack, i will feel no remorse for you. and if u think that the biggest baddest democracy in the world is inherently at peace, your forget were at WAR in iraq and afganistan. china (a communist country) is fighting less wars then the greatest democracy in the world.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

... and if u think that the biggest baddest democracy in the world is inherently at peace, your forget were at WAR in iraq and afganistan.

I should have worded it "inherently more peaceful." The fact that we're not at peace is because we have a right to defend ourselves.

You forget that it was Afghanistan, under the Taliban, who were providing safe harbor to the very criminals responisible for the worst attack on our soil since Pearl Harbor. The very criminals who are against democracy and who are resolved to expunging freedom and turning the west into rule under a fundamentalist religious doctrine.

I suppose you would just sit back and say "Hey Mr. fundamentalist Islamist terrorist: Please don't do that again--it hurts"! Well, the previous administration did that in response to the First WTC attacks, the USS Cole, and Embassy bombings and it did nothing to thwart future attacks. There has to be consequences and those consequences must be deadly for these animals to understand.

As far as Iraq is concerned: this is simply a legal continuation of the first Gulf War when Iraq unilaterally invaded a soveriegn nation (Kuwait) who is an ally of ours. The fact that several independant intelligence reports from other countries, as well as ours, indicated that Saddam hussein had WMD only provided the justifiable need to attack iraq this time around.

I suppose that if your were president you would have decided not to attack Iraq despite the overwelming evidence, at that time, that Iraq posessed these weapons. Then, if Saddam provided nuclear tainted material that subsequently was used against us by international islamists, you would be impeached. There is strong evidence suggesting that Saddam moved much of his weapons to Syria.

china (a communist country) is fighting less wars then the greatest democracy in the world.

You need to do some research on their relations with Taiwan. Besides, China is too busy squashing personal freedoms and killing its own citizens (or did you forget about Tienemen Square). There are other very significant human rights issues China is guilty of; but that is going off topic.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join