It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bases in plain sight? inside normal buildings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
A while ago I rvaugely remmeber reading an article where the author actually travelled to I believe Russia and went to a former secret base that was in a normal building in a city IIRC. I want to say the article was in wired magazine, but I can't remember for sure, nor do I remember what the article was about?
I want to say that the place he was taken to was a former soviet missile base, or bio production lab or something crazy, but it looked like an office building, church or school but again I cant really remember.

Anyway this memory got me interested, and thinking and wondering if there are other bases if you will that are basically hidden in plain site? I knwo I have read some stuff that people have reassesed the idea of building some big hardened bunker in the miiddle of no where since its very obvious and more or less a large target, and instead have though a more low key appraoch might be the better one.

So does anyone know about any known bases or production facilities that hidden in plain site or disguised as something else if you will? I'm not taling about office space or something like that, but something more like a storage, production, testing facility?

[edit on 26-1-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Who is to say that the same thing can't happen anywhere in the world? Even in something that looks as innocent as a house in a neighborhood. Not saying the house itself is a base, but that it can be an access point for a base that is located nearby...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Exactly therainmaker. I am interested in hearing about sites that's true intended use is somewhat covert in that it's hidden in plain site or disguised as something else. I have heard of a motel in the foothills of Virginia that is actually a CIA facility IIRC, but it functions as a normal motel but
but has a facility under it or something that is used for meeting etc.. and no I'm not thinking of the famous Greenbriar.

I know cellular companies have started to put their towers inside stuff like flag poles, church steeples etc.. so there are less ugly towers to look at, but I have wondered if the military and or govt hasnt done similair things but for different reasons?

So does anyone have any good stories or examples about past or present sites like this?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is a very interesting idea, warpboost. I'm going to do some research later on tonight.

I know they used to use farm houses for entrances to Nuclear bunkers.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk...

There are several in the UK, right in City Centres.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Its not that hard to beleive that it would be in the US as well, they have reinforced floors with security access in normal buildings already. Some of them have reinforced concrete and steel and bullet proof and tinted glass in them.

Those kinds of changes are more common after 9/11 anyway so it wouldnt be too hard to do it with out sturring the people in the buildings. I beleive they call these floors "crisis centers"?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Delirious
Its not that hard to beleive that it would be in the US as well, they have reinforced floors with security access in normal buildings already. Some of them have reinforced concrete and steel and bullet proof and tinted glass in them.

I have heard that there are buildings where the outside wall and tinted/mirrored windows is just a false wall for looks, and inside there is reinforced wall with no windows. From the outside it looks like a normal building, but its really hardened.

I also agree there are probably underground areas that have entrances inside normal buildings. Maybe in some places you put some type of access card into the elevator and you can access the second secret basement

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
JBurns said:

"I know they used to use farm houses for entrances to Nuclear bunkers."

...that's exactly the type of thing I am talking about...

I know of one location that's allegedly like that here in Massachusetts.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It's hard to believe everyone doesn't know about this by now, but here's an example of what you're speaking of and yes, the government rents office space in otherwise unremarkable buildings to do their business.

Situated in a lush and remote valley in the Allegheny Mountains five hours' drive southwest of Washington, the Greenbrier is one of the nation's premier resorts, a place that touts itself as a playground for foreign princes and America's political elite. Twenty-three men who were or would become U.S. presidents have stayed there. Dinners are six courses. The most elaborate are set with 24-karat-gold vermeil and served by waiters in forest green livery. A fleet of bottle-green stretch limos idles in front of the columned portico. Spread over 6,500 manicured acres, complete with golf courses, skeet shooting, spas and a stream stocked with rainbow trout, the Greenbrier wants to be seen as a resort of distinction and aristocratic carriage. It is designated a National Historic Landmark -- and seems among the last places one might expect to find a Strangelovian bunker.

Though the resort has knowingly hosted both the ultra-sensitive congressional hideaway and the people who maintain it, there seems to have been little concern that any of the Greenbrier's 1,600 employees would reveal the facility's existence. Many have heard rumors about what lies beneath the vast extension known as the West Virginia Wing, which houses luxury rooms and a complete medical clinic. Some have direct knowledge of the installation, but no one will talk openly about it. The Greenbrier is the only significant private employer in hardscrabble Greenbrier County, and its workers -- many of whom are second- and third-generation employees -- don't have to be reminded of the strictness with which the resort manages its public image. "Anyone who doesn't work here and who is of working age, there's a reason they're not here," says the hotel's president, Ted Kleisner. "Everyone comes to work for life here. People die. People retire. And a couple of people get fired each year. That's it."

Even before the facility was built, the Greenbrier and the U.S. government were no strangers. In the winter of 1941-42, the hotel served as a U.S. internment facility for Japanese, Italian and German diplomats. On September 1, 1942, the U.S. Army commandeered the entire resort -- purchasing it for $3.3 million from its owner, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad -- then converted it into a 2,200-bed military hospital. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower was twice a patient there. (He returned to celebrate a wedding anniversary in 1945.) After the war, the rail- road bought the resort back. Other governmental links followed. In 1949, Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson met at the Greenbrier with the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the secretaries of the Army, Air Force and Navy for what a history of the Greenbrier called a "top-secret discussion of postwar military strategy." In 1956 Eisenhower hosted an international conference there with the leaders of Canada and Mexico. Hotel operators at the time answered the phone: "Good morning, Greenbrier White House." The hotel has three connecting "Eisenhower Parlors," and Ike's bust is on display in the North Parlor.

www.washingtonpost.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/1/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The Greenbrier is no secret, as warpboost mentioned above there is still another hotel more worthy of interest in the VA area.

I recall a Popular Science article when I was in high school, circa 1990, with lots of info and photos of the Greenbrier.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
After the break-up of the soviet union as much as possible was changed.

If something was a secret watchimagiggy, it definately moved to somewhere more secret, as after the break-up a lot of REALLY secret stuff became not so secret, since so many parties had access to it.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
after the break-up a lot of REALLY secret stuff became not so secret, since so many parties had access to it.

I was wondering if you have any good examples of that type of scenario you could share? thanks

new topics

top topics

join