It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is electricity EXACTLY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Ok. I'm very familiar with the dogmatic teachings of electricity but I've always been keen on the "unexplained" element of electricity.

Ok all you double E's and electrically oriented scientists.
Take a look at this read and disect it. I'm curious as to what you all think about this.

amasci.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I earned my BS in Electrical Engineering at UM, and I learned new things from reading Beaty.

He does a good job of making something very complicated seem simple without delving into the most complicated physics of electricity.

I recommend his writtings to anyone who wants to understand what electricity really is.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
That's cool.. It took me a long time to get past a few misconceptions about electricity and I thought it would be cool to share this info with others. It still warps my brain however when it comes to the 'em wave' nature of electricity. It doesn't really exists but it does. (I mean, what the heck are "waves" anyways?)

This stuff is a little out there but I find it fascinating nonetheless. Have any of you studied any Etheric theories of field theory unification and gravity? It's interesting to find out what Hertz, Einstein, Lorentz, and Maxwell had to say about the 'ether'.

Take a look at this. :

www.virtuallystrange.net...

I know this piece is questionable but I'm a HUGE fan of Tesla and I've always wondered what the truth concerning him 'really' is. I've read alot of unofficial stuff concerning Teslas "Dynamic theory of gravity". Does it really exist and why did the governement go through such lengths to conceal all his work in secrecy? (Most of his notes and manuscripts are no where to be found as far as I can tell)

Anyhows, something else in science that I find absolutely fascinating (and this is for all of you 'know it all myth busters' out there) is "quantum-entanglement". To me this is one of the most interesting and clearly documented mysteries of science. Did I mention that light behaving like a particle AND a wave is really cool?

Anyways, for all you that don't know what quantum entanglement is here is a link.:

www.joot.com...

What does electricity, quantum entanglement, gravity and photons have in common? Probably more than you think if you consider the "ether".

Perhaps one of these days we will be able to detect the "ether". Maybe it's made out of Higgs Bosons.. (You will have to look that one up)

Maybe the Ether is God Himself!

[edit on 25-1-2006 by TxSecret]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think the question you should of asked is...
what is STATIC electricity ?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
i was led to believe electricity was a stream of electrons

i may be wrong but im pretty sure i remember it correctly

now; i couldnt tell you the differance between electrons and photons; because i dont know

good question tho

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
I think the question you should of asked is...
what is STATIC electricity ?

OBVIOUSLY you did not read the article.

Static electricity is poorly named.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Want to have fun ask the same question about Gravity.

We have a good understanding of what gravity does, we think we know what gravity is. People will tell you its a property of matter proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. But the question of why atoms attract one another in this way is still not fully understood.

Well I havent found a full answer yet.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Want to have fun ask the same question about Gravity.

We have a good understanding of what gravity does, we think we know what gravity is. People will tell you its a property of matter proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. But the question of why atoms attract one another in this way is still not fully understood.

Well I havent found a full answer yet.

You're totally right. We haven't. All we know is that matter distorts space-time, which makes the path of things shift towards the mass in question. Forward becomes sideways, so to speak.

By why? How can this simply exist? Is there a sub-space of this fabric? Is it something real? Is it like light - but carried by "the graviton"? Does it have energy? Can it be created artificially?

The truth is we don't quite know for certain. In fact, there's a lot we don't know for certain. We have some guesses, and we're doing pretty good with what we can see - but it's everything that we can't see that's a problem.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Ok, now the discussion is getting interesting. We are now treading into an area that gets really funky..

There are many many theories of gravity but for right now I'm getting away from the 'warped space' theory and leaning towards the theory that involves gravity caused by matter interaction with the 'ether'.. I mean.. (as I will expound on more in a sec) If matter is indeed made out of energy and this 'energy' indeed comes from the ether it all adds up. According to some the 'energy' from the ether is constantly flowing 'into' matter all the time, if it didn't all matter would just "disolve" and turn back into the field it came from . There are some that say that the ether is the same thing as the 'zero point energy field' or "space time fabric".

Read the link I posted priori that talks about Teslas "Dynamic Theory of Gravity". Basically, it states in a round'a'bout way that everything in the universe is 'made' our of the ether and that all of the 'laws' and 'characteristics' of matter are determined by the ether as well. But that leaves the question.. WHAT on EARTH is the ETHER>>!!
Air is the medium for sound.. Electrons (or charges in wires) is the medium for "electricity" or electical "current".. Air, although it's very airy.. is very tangible but the medium for EM radiation is befuddling. It does make sense though.. If you've read up on the 'zero point energy field' and studied up about the 'back ground radiation in space' and then you realize that all matter is really just energy 'vibrating' and 'spinning' at varying frequencies.. You have to admit, when you look at 'things' from the viewpoint of the ether it all makes sense. (But it doesn't explain the ether 'itself') One thing is certain, the 'laws' governing quantum mechanics DO NOT coincide with the laws that govern our larger more 'macro' sized space.

Things that make you go hmmmm..

Again I ask.. What is this ZPE or seething energetic field that permeates ALL of the universe? Perhaps we are just not meant to know those kinds' of secrets.. or at least not quite yet.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by TxSecret]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
electricity I believe it is the flow of electrons in a circuit.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Well, that website was certainly interesting. While I did know most of the concepts taught there (I almost have my electrical engineering degree) I have never realized before how poorly many of the words used in this field describe its phenomena.

One new thing I did learn was that you can actually see the 'electron sea' in metals, and that it is the reason metals look 'metallic'. That's pretty cool.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on that website, but here is one more common misconception regarding electricity. Water does not conduct electricity. (WHAT? You ask me, knowing that if you drop a radio in your bathtub while bathing, bad things will happen) *Pure water* does not conduct electricity. The reason that 'water' seems to conduct electricity is that it has all sorts of impurities in it, and it is these impurities, in ion form, that allow electric charges to flow.

(reading back over what I wrote, I think that I used the words 'electricity', 'conduct', 'current', 'charge', and several others in ways that would give the author of that website a heart attack! However, I think I still got my points across)

Oh, and to answer TxSecret's question "what do I think of that website", I think it is both very informative and very educational. To the best of my knowledge, everything I read was correct. I didn't explore his entire website, but I did look at everything TxSecret's link points to and read from there to the bottom, and I bookmarked it for later.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on that website, but here is one more common misconception regarding electricity. Water does not conduct electricity. (WHAT? You ask me, knowing that if you drop a radio in your bathtub while bathing, bad things will happen) *Pure water* does not conduct electricity. The reason that 'water' seems to conduct electricity is that it has all sorts of impurities in it, and it is these impurities, in ion form, that allow electric charges to flow.

Wow that's really interesting. Thanks for that bit of info

Do you know which "impurities" commonly found in water are conductive to electricity?

[edit on 093131p://26u35 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Basically it's the trace metals found in pretty much all water. It will vary depending where you live. Here in Edmonton, we have a higher than usual percentage of iron in the water.

Other ions besides water could permit charge to flow, as well; think of an electrolytic battery, where positive ions flow one way and negative ions flow the other way. (all metals become positive ions, non-metals become negative ions) So other impurities, like chloride ions or fluoride ions would contribute, as well; I'm not sure what the magnitude of their contribution would be compared to metals, though.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Almost off topic, but if your still reading this thread you might enjoy reading this:

GROUND Radio is a subject which has remained on the periphery of engineering discussions for decades. It has maintained its elusive and mysterious poise because of fundamental anomalies observed when its methods are utilized, anomalies which manifest when signals are both transmitted and received directly through the ground. The inability to adequately address the associated anomalies has produced a remarkable impasse among conventional engineers. Many highly qualified such persons are quite sure that the Ground Radio phenomenon is adequately explained through classic theoretical propagation models. Experimental findings however, have brought to our attention several anomalous features of this form of Radio propagation.

Continued...

Dae

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Im bumping this thread 'cos the website is brilliant. I was totally blown away after reading this about a year ago because of this thread in ATS. Not too long after reading this site I did some research about "Electricity" and found myself some Electric Universe theories, which was only really amazing for me after reading this site the OP posted.

I love how he explains that our naming many 'things' electricity is causing confusion. Now I go on to say that, that confusion is deliberate, just like Tesla's work was deliberately suppressed, They do not want us knowing about "electricity" for some reason...

Mrs. McCave was invented by Dr. Seuss. She had twenty three sons. She named them all "Dave."

Whenever we ask "WHAT IS ELECTRICITY," that's just like asking Mrs. McCave "WHO IS DAVE?"

Bold mine 'cos 23 is cute.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
electricity is believed to be a physical phenomenon associated with moving of electrons within an atom.
Applying a "force" can make electrons move from one atom to another. These moving electrons are believed to be electricity.

A magnetic object can be used to "force" the electricity in to a conductor.
By "forcing" the electricity into a conductor like a wire, we get an electrical current.
Moving magnetic fields can pull and push electrons. Some metals, like copper have electrons that are loosely held. They can be pushed from their shells by moving magnets. Magnets and wire are used together in electric generators.

A battery produces electricity using two different metals in a chemical solution. A chemical reaction between the metals and the chemicals frees more electrons in one metal than in the other. One end of the battery is attached to one of the metals; the other end is attached to the other metal. The end that frees more electrons develops a positive charge and the other end develops a negative charge.

i hope this definition is ok?

electricity is NOT to be misinterpretet with energy, but is here only uses to explane electric current as todays people think it works

I believe that it is the flow of both positive and negative atoms more that the flow of merely electrons, why? simply because the whole electron flow theory, is based on negative charge with a flow from negative to positive, and the flow of atoms is based on both negative and positive atoms in both directions:
for examble we take a wire, move some magnets around it to make electric current, now who can tell wich end of the wire is positive or negative?

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Bluess]

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Bluess]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
We've all been taught to follow electrons as though they were tiny little charged bb's moving through wires.

I've been reading a lot of cutting-edge thinking regarding electromagnetic theory, and much of what these new thinkers are saying is that the electron doesn't travel through the wire at all, but rather is a field that exists OUTSIDE it, traveling like a giant wave which hits a boundry. The effect on that boundary is what we call "electrons".

new topics

top topics

join