It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Hunters find Earth size Planet , predict Alien Life discovered by 2020!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
...another string to the 'global acclimatisation before full disclosure' bow.

They have recently been getting the public used to the fact that there are planets that show/potentially signs of life. They'll determine the next step based on public reaction.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Words of encouragement here:

www.sciencemag.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think one of the coolest things about this discovery besides the possibility of the future detection of Alien life , is that Astronomers were able to detect an Earth-like planet 28,000 LY's from Earth, with Earth based telescopes.

Also the Planet is in orbit around 2.5 AU's from its Star, or 2.5 times the Distance Earth is from the Sun. Most Exoplanets that have been previously discovered using the "Wobble" Technique are large Jupiter class Gas -giants that orbit there respective stars at a distance comparable to that of Mercury's orbit around our Sun.

The major draw back however, is that these planets once found likely won't be seen again from Earth.

On the plus side Astronomers can monitor thousands or even millions of Stars at the same time looking for planets in this way , which means that the discovery of a truly Habitable Earth-like Planet may be found fairly quickly.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
More Astronomers are weighing in on the possibility of Alien Life.

Earth twin boosts hopes of life

THE possibility of extraterrestrial life just went up with the discovery of the most Earth-like planet ever spotted outside our solar system.

< snip >

"This discovery is only one planet, but it strongly suggests that small (Earth-like) worlds might be as common as flies in the outback," Dr Shostak said.

Dr Williams said he agreed. He said an unpublished analysis showed that as many as one in three or four stars may have planets like ours.

I imagine many people are going to be recalculating and revising their last Drake Equation calculations.

This has to be good for the Aliens and UFO Forum! I mean when the Scientists are getting excited about the possibility of Alien life that has to be good stuff!

[edit on 28-1-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
shouldnt this be in the astronomy section?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Im a true sceptic,

What part of Astronomers talking about the discovery of habitable planets and Alien life doesn't deserve to be on the Aliens and UFO forum?

Have you ever heard of the Drake Equation?

SETI: The Drake Equation

This discovery directly effects these Drake Equation variables.

fp is the fraction of stars that have planets around them

ne is the number of planets per star that are capable of sustaining life

[edit on 28-1-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
yes i have

until we have proof of alien life, then its just an equation.

Hunting for planets (earth like) i still feel is more an astronomy thread.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Astronomy and the search for Alien life are somewhat interconnected don't you think?

Especially when Astronomers are talking about the prospects of Alien life.

Reuters

"This is an important breakthrough in the quest to answer the question 'Are we alone?'" said Michael Turner of the National Science Foundation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join