It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashes of Light near Sirius

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
We are not talking about distance of light, as I understand there was one origin of flashes not far from Sirius. What I am trying to find out is the visual separation in arsec from the Sirius itself. It can be easily done if we compare with other visual binaries such as Alcor and Mizar for example.
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Probably something as simple as Scintillation il post a wiki link of course that's just me speculating.

Wiki

Lot's of cool stuff out there though so who knows.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I am not saying that we have evidence of something extraterrestrial here; we just need some clarification from the author as his prior posts are somewhat ambiguous. “Flashes” can mean different things to different people, also visial separation from Sirius is important, but what I can see from the posts – definitely not meteors, please.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
Probably something as simple as Scintillation il post a wiki link of course that's just me speculating.

Wiki

I agree that it could be a dim star, with a magnitude just on the edge of what we can see, scintillating in and out of visibility.

The OP said the flashes were "small", but because the OP was written 3 1/2 years ago, I'm not sure we will ever get a good clarification of what he meant when he described it as "small flashes of light" (even if the OP himself comes on and tries to describe what he saw 3 1/2 years ago). However, scintillation is just as good a theory as any.

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tanasyuk
We are not talking about distance of light, as I understand there was one origin of flashes not far from Sirius. What I am trying to find out is the visual separation in arsec from the Sirius itself. It can be easily done if we compare with other visual binaries such as Alcor and Mizar for example.

My bad. I didn't understand what you were asking.

Originally posted by tanasyuk
definitely not meteors

Based on what? I'd very much like to hear your reasoning for saying this. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
We can argue back and forth, but we need to contact MrMicrophone first. As I am new to the forum I can’t do that. Can you help to send him a private message? I also witnessed something very similar or maybe different and I really need some clarification to be sure!
i]reply to post by C.H.U.D.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsoobvious
reply to post by Astyanax

you guys relize this thread is three years old right?just pointing that out.

hehe I think no one noticed your post - thanks for the update - was walking the dog very early and was looking at Sirius intently - nada! - now I know why

Perhaps the other posters on this thread are from back in 2006 trapped in a vortex - and we happened to get out of it and are currently living in 2009!

*I have to say - sometimes early morning around Venus I see these 'sparks' popping every now and then...hmmm

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tanasyuk

I've U2U'd the OP.

I'm not arguing with you. I just want to know why you think what the OP saw could not have been a meteor? You stated that like you were very sure of it, and I'd like to know what your logic is behind that? Thanks

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
The OP was three years ago, in January.

What's the code for the blush smiley?

Oh, there isn't one.

Anyway, you get the idea.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Hey Folks,

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond, just got back from vacation.

When I observed the flashes they were in different locations "popping" around the star. I pulled up an astronomy site and immediately checked for anything that might explain what I saw. Most of the little flashes of light appeared along an arc from about 7 o'clock to 3 o'clock from the star. They continued for several minutes. I have checked for any explanation and couldn't find one. The flashes were bright enough to be seen from my back yard in the city. I created a little representation of what I saw sans the flashes.

Like I said before there were a lot of little flashes, like flashbulbs going off.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal

Wiki

I can assure you it wasn't Scintillation. The flashes were obvious not a twinkling. I don't believe it was a swarm of meteors either since it would have had to have been a very narrow window and heading at my exact observation angle, for 8-10 minutes.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MrMicrophone

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your diagram, but did Sirius turn invisible during each "flash"?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
No. Sorry should have described the graphic.

The O is the location of Sirius in relation to the flashes represented by the *'s. This is just show the approximate area where the flashes were appearing. They did not flash in the same place twice and only in that confined area. They were "popping" rapidly sometimes several at a time. They weren't meteors. As I said earlier, imagine a scifi show where ships are jumping to hyperspace in a flash...now imagine you're a long way off watching the flashes...that is what it was like. Hope that helps.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join