It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am at a loss; I must swallow my “pc geek” pride…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hello all. First up, I pride (or did rather) myself as a “computer guy”, you know the ones. I am that “guy” that everybody in the office goes to when they have an issue but don’t want to get IS involved. I’m the guy that solves all his peer’s PC issues for free and they love me for it. I always get “you are in the wrong career...” and “you should charge for that”.

Anyways, I need to suck it up and ask for some help. I am stumped.

I have a few home built rigs at home and one of them (my oldest one) I decided to wipe clean and start over fresh. I’ve done it before and Ill most likely do it again. Anyways, something after this reformat isn’t quite right and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The PC freezes up and gets choppy, frame rates nearly zero on games that it played just fine before the wipe. Actually, the PC plays these games exactly like you would expect a machine that had way less than minimum requirements to run them. But like I said, the rig played them fine before.

The hardware is fine, trust me on that one. Of course I have done all of the obvious stuff: Drivers, windows updates, yada yada yada.

I wiped it again last night, deleted the old partition and everything, as deep as you can without replacing the HD. This time I only updated windows and drivers, installed nothing else. And guess what? Same thing.

I am wondering if one of Windows newer updates caused older NVIDIA cards to go screwy?

Anyways, here are the specs:

Althon 2200 XP
768 DDR Ram
4600 Ti 128 card
SoundBlaster 512
Windows XP pro
(This rig was the shiznit in its day)

Any help or suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Is your fan cooling your CPU working properly?

On the other hand, one thing people sometimes forget to update is DirectX. It basically "powers" the graphics behind Windows and is essential for most games to work. An updated version of DirectX may solve your problem. Head for the DirectX site to download the latest version of DirectX for your Windows.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It could be shorting out. If that is the case, just take it apart and rebuild it making sure to clean all the insulating dust out as you're going and replace all the screws and whatnot making sure everything is in there snug and tight. Use the metal screws not the plastic clips as they will melt eventually.

Also make sure you have a fresh gob of Thermal greese between your heatsink and your cpu.

[edit on 25-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Skippy,

I never install Windows video or sound driver updates!

Man, I can't tell you the number of times I've had to deal with these. Everything is fine, Windows shows a video/sound driver update, Okay ... Install ... Restart ... Wammo!

I'd have to say virtually 90+% of the time they incorrectly detect the ACTUAL video /sound device, especially with onboard components.

I can assure you, if you stick with the ACTUAL manufacturer's drivers and updates, it will resolve your issue... well at least 99.999% of the time.

Any questions, please reply with your specific device components and configuration.

[edit for spelling]

[edit on 1/25/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You need direct x 9C:

www.download.com...

and the newest certifieted driver:

www.nvidia.com...

Both are needed to work properly.

Also, you need a special driver for your monitor-yes, i am serious. Go to the manufacturers site and find the driver for xp and your monitor,

Let me know how these updates do.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys. DirectX is on there, and Microsoft wont let me add the Mag driver for my monitor (its thinks the one there is fine).

Still cant get it. Even lowered my refresh rate.

Man this is a tough one...

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It interesting, I am the same I do mt own work.

Changed my wife's video card from a nvidia 32m 5500 to a 256m 6600.

She really only plays sims2, it was fine before just a bit slow. Now its all chopped and screwed. Spider webbed.

I have done it ALL, and its still messed up.

There is no way it should be running worse.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It interesting, I am the same I do mt own work.

Changed my wife's video card from a nvidia 32m 5500 to a 256m 6600.

She really only plays sims2, it was fine before just a bit slow. Now its all chopped and screwed. Spider webbed.

I have done it ALL, and its still messed up.

There is no way it should be running worse.

The Sims is screwy. I have it on one PC that is about 5 years old with 312mb of ram... runs fine. On my dell with 512, it lags, and on the kids NEW pc , that has over a gig of ram, it lags. Somethings wrong with that game, I think.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm wondering about the CPU/case cooling as well, that's made mine act up before. Also had that happen when the power supply was going out. Considering the age of that comp, might be something to check>

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Im stumped.

I have actualy reformatted the disk a few more times since my original post.

I think I will take some if your advice and I will open it up and clean it out. Ill re-seat the CPU with some fresh thermal paste and I will add another fan or two.

One thing that I still dont think is the issue but I havent been able to correct is the Monitors driver. Its a Mag Innovision 786N 17" and you simply cant find a driver for it. Search Google and it looks like Im not the only one having a hard time finding it either. But Windows doesnt think it needs it, and I didnt need to install it in the past when it worked fine so who knows.

I really think a Windows update has done something to F-up my 4600 Ti's performance card.

Maybe ill try a wipe again, but this time install and try a game before I do any windows updates.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This may sound a bit weird but have you tried installing an older version of the video driver?

I've seen one instance in which the lastest driver actually slowed the system down and caused 100% CPU usage to display a graphics intensive program (not even a game or CAD program).

Did it have the latest driver before the install?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I agree with 12m8keall2c and AceOfBase, The problem might be caused by an "upgraded" videodriver. I´ve had that problem myself with NVIDIA. Avoid having Windows Update "upgrade" your NVIDIA driver.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The answer to the question is yes, but ill try again.

I have the origonal disk. I wipe all the drivers and then just install that and see what happens. I am certain I have done it this way alreayd though, but ill try again with more attantion to just this.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I still think you're having overheating issues and or shorting out problems so it would probably be in your best interst to do a complete rebuild and cleaning(regardless you should do that twice a year NEway sooo). It may be more "labor" intensive but it's usually the first thing on my list when my PC screws up. It usually saves me alot of time by not having to format and reinstall.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well what do you know? The Canook was right. Fan on the graphics card was burnt out. Nice call!

Not only that, called BFG Tech looking to buy a new fan, and it went like this:

They said "just send the card in, lifetime warranty"
I said "No $hit?",
They said "Yes $hit!"
I said "Ive had it a long time, no box or reciept"
They said "so what? Send it in"
I said "No $hit?"
They said "Yes $hit"

So, it will take a bit, but ill have it fixed for free!

Thanks all

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Well what do you know? The Canook was right. Fan on the graphics card was burnt out. Nice call!

WHAT?! Skippy, you mean that thru all of this you hadn't taken notice that the fan on your video card wasn't spinning? Guess you'll have to stay after school for some remedial education on Observations 101.

Just kidding.

Hey that's great news, that they'll honor the lifetime warranty. No $hit!

Glad to hear "problem solved".
Sardion2000

[edit on 2/10/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

WHAT?! Skippy, you mean that thru all of this you hadn't taken notice that the fan on your video card wasn't spinning? Guess you'll have to stay after school for some remedial education on Observations 101.

You know I never thought to look because just a month or so prior I opened the case up and cleaned it out good, checked connections, etc. I just ASSumed. You know what happens when people ASSume...

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

You know I never thought to look because just a month or so prior I opened the case up and cleaned it out good, checked connections, etc. I just ASSumed. You know what happens when people ASSume...

aaahh ... I've been guilty of those three letters a time or two [or more]. It seems sometimes the last place we look should have been the first. Live and [hopefully] learn.

I had a situation with a Tyan Tachyon card where it would sound an overheating alarm at very odd times. Heavy game play might be fine, but start in on a text docmument, etc. and the alarm would sound. It wasn't always the same either, it was very sporadic.

I upgraded to an Antec 430W PS thinking it just wasn't getting the proper voltage, etc. Nope.

Turned out it was the soldered connections on the 4 pins used for the external supply. They had become slightly "cracked" from either tension on the cable, or through plugging/unplugging the connector. Out came the soldering iron, case closed.

It works fine now, though I was almost ready to ditch it. That is until I found those very minor "weak" connections.

Still ... Glad to hear they're honoring the warranty. Especially no box, receipt, paperwork, etc !?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I have a few home built rigs at home and one of them (my oldest one) I decided to wipe clean and start over fresh. I’ve done it before and Ill most likely do it again. Anyways, something after this reformat isn’t quite right and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The PC freezes up and gets choppy, frame rates nearly zero on games that it played just fine before the wipe. A
The hardware is fine, trust me on that one.

You need to trouble shoot.
Uninstall any drivers you have installed and if possible use the drivers that came with Windows. Use the driver roll back feature in device manager.
As others have said check your CPU fan and heat sink.
Replace the power supply unit with one that you know works fine.
Exam your graphics card and replace it with with a Graphics card that you know is working.

Only do one step at a time if you need to make a list of changes that you made that way you can undo any changes that dont fix the problems that you are having.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
OMG!

Check this out guys: I sent my old card in last week. Today I get a box from BMG, less than a week. Guess what they sent me...

A 6800 GS Overclock!! No crap!!

I sent them a 4 year old Ti4600 with no box or reciept, they sent me, in a mater of days, a card literally twice as nice.

Um, I think every video card I ever buy from now on will be a BFG!!! How could I not? Amazing, and more importantly easy customer service!

YEAH BABY! Small vitories people, its what its all about...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join