It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Council Tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Am I the only
idiot in this
country who has to pay 850 odd
Quid a year, just to have my
'wheelie' bin emptied?

I work and live on an MOD site, behind a
green iron and razor topped wire fence.

Gloucester City and County Councils do not provide me with

a) Street lighting: This has been u/s since 1985;
b) Road repairs - "that's not our problem. It's an MOD issue because we class the site as MOD property!";
c) Policing - "that's an Army issue - under the Official Secrets Act!";
d) Road sweeping - "you'll have to take that up with the Army!"

The only service I do get, is my wheelie bin emptied every Monday morning, but only then, because they have to empty the site bins.

All that for £850 a year.

I think that you'll agree with me when I say that that is exceptional service from a Council who, it is alledged, want to raise our Council Tax to cover the deficite in council worker pensions!

Has anyone else been
over by their council?

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Thankfully, I don't have to pay council tax yet as I'm only seventeen years old. However, it really
me off knowing my mum gives some of her hard-earned money to people who use it to put up
ugly Christmas decorations in the town centre and other pointless things that are a waste of money.

I do agree though, paying £850 a year for basically
all is not right.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
lol i think every UK member would agree with you,

Oh they did plant some flower bed next to a road with our money! but they only lasted a few days as the kids kicked the heads of them all,
hmmm

And do you lot have to take you bin right out to the street or they will not walk the extra 4 foot to come pick it up?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[edit on 30-1-2006 by asala]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Yeah, I have to put the bin on the path outside the garden wall. I dunno about "the extra four feet".
It's more like, "the extra thirty feet" for me.
Well annoying.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Just thought I'd grab an update from the shelf.

Here we have that useless, fat, butt ugly, tub of lard Prescott owing £7000 back tax and he doesn't land up in the nick for non payment of council tax.

What a
Liberty! That
fat scrounging
ard has just about killed the golden goose.

Why imprison OAPs who cannot afford to pay his outlandish tax? Why didn't he get jailled for non-payment?

We should do what they did to
ards like him in the middle ages, and boil his fat arse in a vat of oil.

nt!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I dont think I could have worded that better fritz

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Yes, well said fritz, I admire your restraint

Your lucky your bins are emptied so regularly! If a single car is parked on the wrong side of the street, our binmen get very upset, and rather than try to get it moved, usually storm off and come back 2 days later. Walk up the street to get a bin? You'd sooner see Santa Clause flying down and emptying them.

Apart from the great bin emptying service, they do some great "strategic development plans" and "exciting community schemes", like getting the council tax paying public to clean the rivers, or spending millions on white elephant projects designed to gloss over the direness of the area.

Hip hip hooray for wonderful councils!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'm so glad I gave you the impression of the super-efficiency of the Gloucestershire bin person (scarcasm)

I live about, oh damn it! I don't know, about 15 feet from the road round the TA Centre where I work. If my bin is not on the pavement, it don't get emptied.

And woe betide you, if you dare to put out black bin bags out for collection. They collect them all right (as they're supposed to do) and throw them in the back of their truck (as they're not supposed to).

Guess what? They catch the
bags on the side of their truck then, they just
off site, leaving ME to clear up the mess!

top topics

join