It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about the death Penalty?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
it's funny, as a slder I am allowed by law to take lives to spare my own, my fellow soldiers, my mission, VIPs etc, yet executing a person who has killed for his own pleasure/interests is such a sin. Where is the logic?

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I am 100% against the death penalty. I don't really agree with the prison system either, but I don't know/can't think of a better alternative.

1. Death is the easy way out for a murderer, they should be punished effectively.
  2. Murder is wrong, full stop. The executors should be punished (*) for murdering the criminal.
  3. Too many innocent people are executed.

*= EDIT (Typo)

[edit on 25-1-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I am for the death penalty. In my state we dont have it, yet.
I use this topic as a means for a voting decision. I am hopeful that it will pass someday. I would volunteer my time to 'roll on switch one...'

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
I am 100% against the death penalty. I don't really agree with the prison system either, but I don't know/can't think of a better alternative.

1. Death is the easy way out for a murderer, they should be punished effectively.
  2. Murder is wrong, full stop. The executors should be murdered for murdering the criminal.
  3. Too many innocent people are executed.

1: The purpose of death penalty is not to punish someone, its to prevent them for doing it again. They dont belong to the society we live in.
2: And the police should be kidnapped for putting them in jail?

3: Probably not as many as the innocent ones sitting on life sentence.

Just my opinions on your statements

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I respect your opinion, I just think murderers shouldn't be killed as a way for them not to do it again. They should be severely punished, kept away from society and not be given an easy escape (execution).

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panzeroth
1: The purpose of death penalty is not to punish someone, its to prevent them for doing it again. They dont belong to the society we live in.

Exactly. It really should be carried out as humanely as possible. The idea of punishment is more about revenge and vengeance than justice.
Incarceration isn't about punishment, nor is it about rehabilitation.
It is all about keeping criminals out of society as long as possible.
For me, a two time first degree murderer is not welcome back. Therefore, execution is the humane thing. Unless its in Canada where he can take all the university courses he wants and get degrees for free, that the common working man can't afford to do.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Im all for "eye for eye tooth for a tooth".

I personally think you should be killed the same way you killed your victim. If you stabbed a person 30 times you should be put to death with 30 stabs of a knife. If you burned someone alive you should be burned alive. If you raped someone and then shot them in the head there should be some kind of rape machine that rapes you and then you are shot in the head.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
'An eye for an eye and the whole world would be blind'

First off...
at the "rape machine". I know it's not an appropriate thing to laugh at but... man!

Anyway, who would carry out the '30 stabs of a knife', though? Surely they'd have to be stabbed thirty times, too. The cycle wouldn't end until everybody on Earth is dead.

EDIT: Who would kill the last man/woman on Earth?!

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
'An eye for an eye and the whole world would be blind'

First off...
at the "rape machine". I know it's not an appropriate thing to laugh at but... man!

Anyway, who would carry out the '30 stabs of a knife', though? Surely they'd have to be stabbed thirty times, too. The cycle wouldn't end until everybody on Earth is dead.

EDIT: Who would kill the last man/woman on Earth?!

Why machines would carry out all the sentences not humans. machines that stab, shoot, burn whatever they can do it all just watch robot wars.

Really its more like 'An eye for an eye and all the eye gougers go blind' You dont poke out someone eye and your eye wont get poke out.

Its just my opinion on the subject everyone is entitled to their own.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Thanks for that one. A blind world would save alot on lighting.
But, although I do feel very emotional about certain monsters, ie: serial rapists, molesters, killers and I admit I would not protest too loudly were these sociopaths tortured to death. But, I know it is wrong.
Even the green river killer, who killed countless women and then traded his life for information on where the bodies were, so he lives on... Oh how I'd like 5 minutes alone with him.
But, my goal is to get to a point where I am totally content just to humanely kill the scumbag. I think they should reneg on the deal and execute him anyway, since all his victims didn't sign on for a death sentence. He tricked a lot of them, one more trick, on him, I could live with.
But punishment like cited above, that isn't ethical, it isn't justice, it is spite, it is base, hate for hate, evil for evil, revenge.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Ahh, my bad, my bad.

If you really wanna get technical with the whole 'eye for an eye' thing then all the knife attacks on the criminal would have to be exactly the same angle and in exactly the same place as those that were carried out on the original victim. So yeah, machines would be best.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
i think that the death penalty is a punishment that only a perfect judicial system should be allowed to carry out, because we don't want an innocent person to be executed.

not 1 nation on the planet has a perfect judicial system

therefore

death penalty is bad

though i'd disagree with it even if we had a perfect judicial system.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Here's my stance:

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?" - from Matthew 5

Either you trust what it says here, or you do not. A Christian who believes in an eye for an eye is living an oxymoron.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I used to be 100% against the death penalty. But the crimes ive been hearing about lately make me consider changing my mind.

After hearing about the Tanya French and Alan Webster case (And total joke of a sentence for it) I'm for it in cases such as this, And if you don't know about this case (is in UK) and if you're easily well offended i guess, please dont look up what they did

I just think, the people that are a danger to public, murders, rapists, peodephiles etc, after doing what they may have done, do they really deserve a life, even if it is spent in a jail cell?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i am for the death penalty in only the cases without a doubt and the person addmitted he killed like the btk killer he has no reason to live. put him to death the same way he did his victims. and anyone else who intentally took another persons life perposly noone has that right ever. however if the killer is saying he or she is innocent and it cant be proven 110% then no i dont believe in it. it should only be given to those without a doubt enjoyed the killing.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crookedblue
I just think, the people that are a danger to public, murders, rapists, peodephiles etc, after doing what they may have done, do they really deserve a life, even if it is spent in a jail cell?

Do you deserve to judge whether they live or die?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Nope, not at all. Just my opinion

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by crookedblue

Do you deserve to judge whether they live or die?

Does he/she (the person commiting these acts) deserve to judge whether or not his/her vitcim lives or dies? Or whatever they end up doing with them.
Holding hands and praying to god isnt working, we should all know that by now, people are still being killed/raped/looted, and released convicts often kill/rape/loot again.
"Zero tolerance shall be issued forth..."

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Does he/she (the person commiting these acts) deserve to judge whether or not his/her vitcim lives or dies? Or whatever they end up doing with them.

Nope.

Holding hands and praying to god isnt working, we should all know that by now, people are still being killed/raped/looted, and released convicts often kill/rape/loot again.

That's not found in my Book, sorry. By the way, hope you've never done anything wrong.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Nope.

Then why shouldnt we be allowed to prevent them from doing it again?

That's not found in my Book, sorry. By the way, hope you've never done anything wrong.

I wasn't refering to the book as it holds no values to me. And I havent done anything serious that is against the Norwegian law as far as I can rememebr, no.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by Panzeroth]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join