It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Pursues Fraud in the Wake of Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The FBI is investigating an unspecified number of instances of fraud, corruption, and misuse of public office, all of which occured in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. Relief efforts resulted in an increased oppurtunity for unethical people to take advantage of the system. Agent John Raucci said there would be indictments, but he refused to indicate how many might be expected, or who might be targetted.

abcnews.go.com
The FBI has uncovered fraud by public officials in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and has created a task force to investigate corruption as federal money pours into the Gulf Coast region, Mississippi's top agent said Monday.

"We are seeing public officials facilitating some of the fraud," John G. Raucci, agent in charge in Mississippi, said in an interview with The Associated Press. "It's not widespread, I will say that, but we have seen it and we have begun addressing it."

Raucci would not give details.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Understandably, details are sketchy. This is, after all, an ongoing investigation. It's nice to see something being done though. I hope it doesn't all turn out to be lip service. That would be a let-down.

The situation down there is mirroring the fiasco in Iraq, with the exception that there isn't quite so much money floating around. To my knowledge, Katrina reconstruction officials aren't lounging on pallettes stacked with shrink wrapped 100 dollar bills.

I know there have been a number of abuses since the disaster. It's amazing how some people can only think of money, even when lives are at stake all around them. Brings to mind images of those idiots trying to steal plasma televisions as the floodwaters rose.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This NYT article is a short read, talks a little about a report put out by the interior department, analyzing the response to Katrina. Apparently, there have been something like 80k pages of documents, including this Interior Department report, that detail specific failures on the part of various agencies, leading up to, during, and in the aftermath of the disaster.

Link

The examination of the Interior Department's role also says that some agency employees may have used government resources to repair their own homes, or the homes of friends or relatives, after the storm.

That's what caught my eye though, in relation to the topic of this thread. It provides some idea of one sort of fraud the FBI is investigating.

join