It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel Tanks are no longer useful, but Russia's most advanced Tank

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You know, tanks havn't really changed since WW2. They simply got better armor, engines, and guns. While I like the new Russian Black Eagle, I think tanks have limited mobility, are too heavy, and too hard to deploy. I think in the future, tanks should get better armor and weapons that weigh very little, AND, They should be able to fly. If they can fly, they can easily be deployed into a combat zone and no obstacle can get in their way. The drawback, however, would be that they would then be vulnerable to SAMs. But I think its still a good idea.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
What makes tanks tough is that they have heavy armor. Which is heavy, very heavy.

Something that flys like a helcopter, or plane's armor is alunimum. Which allows them to fly but are very weak, their main defence is speed and the hight at which they fly. Some very high calaber sniper rifle can (and is used) to distroy comercial planes while they are still on the ground. On a tank a mear high powered rifle would bounce right off, but on a plane, it would go right though.

The highest armor found on flying vehicles is usualy by the standards of ground vehicles very week. Probably around the same level of armor on a jeep, or light apc.

Why don't they armor flying vehicles better, or make tanks fly? In order to fly you got to be light.

While I know huge things do fly, still considering size they are built light )low density), a scaled up smaller craft with larger engines, larger everything.

Like a paper airplane, they are made out of paper for a reason. You might want something like a rock or tougher, and you can go ahead and try.

To make a rock fly, you would need a great leap in technology.

(and don't even talk about those pet projects of tanks that can sort of fly, on their own, by most tank standards they are weak stunted dwarves that allways would lose had they seen battles with 'real' tanks)

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
As to better armor that weighs less, meh. For all the new super tough low weight armor, some realy insanely tough armor that is heavy and dense will be developed, that is too heavy for a flying vehicle so it will be used for structures or land tanks.

The densest things usualy the toughest so daimond is still the hardest thing around (and has the densest formation), mabey they should use something like that for tank armor : )

<< 5  6  7   >>

join