It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Math

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hey all - I'm looking for some help with a math issue I have encountered.

The short of it is this - I'm working on the detail for a scifi setting which is a galaxy-wide federation. I'm working on the assumption that seconds, minutes, and hours are equal throughout the galaxy. There is a Central Time Standard, which is based on the attributes of the world where the Federation is based. (This is useful, due to the existence of essentially instant communication across the galaxy.)

So. On to my question. I'm looking for a formula or standard equation, which I can later plug numbers into, for the following type of problem:

Let's say on the Central World a year = 350days and on Planet A a year = 250 days. To begin with, assume the days are equal length.
How would I solve this so I can know how often the two worlds experience New Years at the same time??
IOW, I want to be able to say, "This was something that only happened once every X years..."

Does that make sense?

If so, how much more difficult does it become if using the same numbers above (350 and 250), the day lengths were 20 and 30 respectively?

I don't necessarily want the answers to these questions, as they are examples, but if someone could solve them and show me how, so that I can do it, too - that would be awesome.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm a sucker for little details like this...

Thanks!

[edit on 24-1-2006 by quango]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I don't have an equation for you, but how another author did it. In the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, he has years broken up. He has the T-Year which is the standard Earth year, and then the local year. The T-Year is the galaxy standard, so that everyone can keep the same frame of reference.

new topics

join