It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural abortion of male fetuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

When times are tough, women tend naturally to abort a higher percentage of male fetuses. Researchers call it culling, but they don't know why it occurs.
This much is known: During times of social or economic stress, a woman's liver tends produces more of a hormone called cortisol that proves so damaging to male fetuses they actually kick out in response to it. Female fetuses, more vital on the whole, seem relatively unaffected by the cortisol.

One theory states that damage to male fetuses is a side effect of this hormonal stress response.

But in a new study, researchers provide evidence for the other theory, that the body is purposely culling the males by pumping out cortisol in an effort to get rid of a child-to-be that is less likely to survive the presumably difficult situation outside the womb.

SOURCE:LiveScience

This was a rather.....interesting report to read.

I always suspected that nature prefered females, and now it appears it may well be true.
Evolutionary it does make alot of sense.

I wonder if eventually males will be taken out of the (evolutionary/biological reproduction) picture all together..disturbing thought.

Opionions? Comments?

EDIT: Corrected spelling errors.

[edit on 1/24/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well, if the reason for the hormone production is to specifically abort male fetuses, how does this fit into evolutionary theory? Would it be because more females would be born at this time who could pass on this tendancy to abort males?

(Note: I do believe in evolution to an extent, but like many, feel many things are still lacking, and am waiting for more to be explained.)

And it seems to me, somewhat, with what little thought I put into it, lol, that the idea evolutionary feat would be to negate the human male.

apc

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Don't worry. Even if nature decided to kill off us males, too many women love the rooster and would be bound to bring us back.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Darn feminists! *shakes fists wildly at nothing*

yea doesnt make sense but i didnt sleep last night. interesting stuff. scary that the women might finally have the last laugh, slowly culling all the males

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It doesn't really work that way.

After all, the males that are born during periods of stress are hardier and more likely to last into old age.

And let's not forget, one male can breed with many, many, many females.
That's what makes us so neat. We can sire whole nations in the span of one female pregnancy cycle; while the fairer sex has to spend 3/4 of a year waddling around hungry just to have a shot at a kid or two, men can conceivably father multiple children each and every day.

new topics

top topics

join