It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun with Imaging in the Geosciences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Classified Uncalibrated Mars Color Image

I created this classified image for a term project.

It is a color image of Mars that has been classified.

It's accuracy is variable, and probably unreliable in a quantitative sense because the image is not calibrated. However the attempt of classification exhibited (I feel) interesting results.

My explaination of the image is that the red represents the sky with the least sun-angle and dust. The yellow represents high angle to the sun top-soil the green represents low angle to the sun top soil (hills and such). The blue of which you can see very little of, is the most extreme low-angle to the sun (almost perpendicular to the rays of the sun).

The thresholded pixels (black) represent dust or highest sun-angle in the atmosphere (thus darker than looking towards the sun) and also a little variablility (shadows or colorations) on the rocks in the image.

Post your Mars images and let's have fun interpreting them.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Stratrf_Rus]

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Stratrf_Rus]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Okay, so you created it? What makes it classified? What's the point of this thread?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You are misunderstanding the term classified, it means that features are given a classification that is easily recognizeable and is useful for various things such as determining clay alterations and ore bodies and etc.

The point is to have a real scientific discussion on Mars rather than a misinformed//uninformed discussion about why there's an funny colored rock on the surface...

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I suspect Keen, like myself, is so used to people posting stuff on these boards talking about NASA hiding the true colors of Mars that when we see the words "classified" and "Mars", we make assumptions on the meaning of classified. I spent about 30 seconds laughing at you when I read "
I created this classified image for a term project. " Then kicked myself after reading the rest of your post.

On to the subject at hand, though, I think you need to clarify how you color-coded the image. I read the legend, but how did you come to the conclusions in classifying the various areas? Could you include the original image as well?

Also, as this was for a term project, I suspect you've already analyzed your results. What were your conclusions? Also, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but what was the point of changing the colors (other than to hurt the eyes
)?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I can grab an original on my computer at home, it would be the color and I could get the raw images; however as I said because there is no callibration, it's hard to tell that anything I've interpreted is remotely accurate.

The way it was colored was using a geosciences program...a simple classification option which allows me to select training sites (sites of a specific pixel value) and then a threshold limit (usually 10 for each band...so 3 bands "pics" and thus 30 limit).

This makes it so that however many training sites I've chosen (up to ten) becomes a range of pixel values, and those become primary and secondary colors so that one can group similarities.

A Landsat image for instance can be used to determine vegetation health...in the infrared band, by classification.

Because the classification will take minute differences in the "red" color (false color) and change it to distinctly different colors such as red//green.

Then you can say "ok the green represents unhealthy vegetation growth near urban areas".

There's quite a lot I can do with the Mars images but until I get a method to callibrate them I don't see any point...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus
There's quite a lot I can do with the Mars images but until I get a method to callibrate them I don't see any point...

so wat ur sayin is thid thread has no point! thx alot!

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Shoudn't this really belong to BTS?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotdogsandsoup

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

so wat ur sayin is thid thread has no point! thx alot!

I suppose your debate of what discharged equipment from the Viking Landers is in an image has more point? This is a place where we can discuss Raw Mars Image data, it is not centered around simply my classified image; I even stated that...

You guys can post your images too!

new topics

top topics

join