It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm sorry it is only us humans who can truly clean up mother earth but how can we do that if we can't keep ourself clean. If we could be clean with ourself then that would in return effect earth and all other living species.

The only way I see this happening is if all of mankind work together as one world, with the same goal's in mind of cleaning up the globe for our own survivial. Then as a whole we would have to change our harmful technology into ones that actually dont harm.

We dont have to settle for less rather we could improve over what we allready have, with the use of classified technology this could be attained.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkCyrus
We dont have to settle for less rather we could improve over what we allready have, with the use of classified technology this could be attained.

How do you know this technoloy could achieve what you're saying...if it's classified ?...

Another option is to lead by example and forsake society. Learn about primitive living and live in the wilderness.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Another option is to lead by example and forsake society. Learn about primitive living and live in the wilderness.

Erm. What wilderness? Where?

Pristine, untouched and unpoisoned I mean.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Pristine, untouched and unpoisoned I mean.

I know Capitalism is spreading around the globe. I know the atrocities of the logging industry, etc. There is still lots of pristine wilderness around the world though. Perhaps sometime in the future there won't be.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The human race as a desease on a large scale is a very feesable idea.
Perhaps we do from planet to planet sucking it dry before we move to a new world.
Our last conquered planet could have been Mars. I can see earth looking like that one day.
Prepare to move on to Venus!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
the most effective way to clean up would be if every car company scrapped there gasoline and deisel cars right now and started building nothing but hydrogen or electric cars. the technonoly is available, honda, acura, even ford have the abilitys. someone has to start mass producing hybrid first then hopefully others will follow.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrowingConspiracy
the most effective way to clean up would be if every car company scrapped there gasoline and deisel cars right now and started building nothing but hydrogen or electric cars. the technonoly is available, honda, acura, even ford have the abilitys. someone has to start mass producing hybrid first then hopefully others will follow.

I definetly agree that would help tremendously. Although I am told the factories that produce the electric batteries are harmful to the environment.

Also I understand the Deisel cars in Europe are actually quite friendly to the environment.

Don't forget about the concrete/cement used for the roads. That's not exactly good for the environment either
. So perhaps the electric/hydrogen/solar powered cars could be adapted to natural terrain so we could also scrap the roads.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   

humanity did live as this once in the Hunter/Gathering stage of our development. At that time, also, there were less than a million people on this world. Think of the areas where mankind can survive climatically. Not very extensive. So, will you be one of chosen few who gets to live in the wilderness, or one of the 6 billion odd people that die off?

Our last conquered planet could have been Mars. I can see earth looking like that one day.
Prepare to move on to Venus!!!

You are assuming we destroyed mars, hopped in our space ships after destroying every trace of civilization, hopped over to earth and destroyed every trace of our technology, to start again? Oh, and you're also assuming that we seeded every plant and animal on earth from mars, so that they share a similiar geneology? If that'[s the case, then you could be right, sir.

the technonoly is available, honda, acura, even ford have the abilitys. someone has to start mass producing hybrid first then hopefully others will follow.

Fact: The technology to build a hydrogen-powered car is available.
Fact: The price of each prototype H2 car is in the price range of several thousand dollars. It will be years before the fuel cell will be at an economic leve to permit mass production.
Fact: There is no (inter)national infrastructure that would be able to support a sudden glut of H2 capable cars onto the market. That infrastructure will come from either two directions: Macro (H2-capable gas stations), o rthe Micro level (Hydrogen produced off of your natural gas line or solar power from your home). How many of you are able to invest in H2 production equipment? Not many. There are many more problems with the Blessed H2 car. Back in the 1900's, who would have caught wind of Diesel's engine, or the combustion engine made by Mercedes and thought "Hey, let's stop breeding horses and pump out MILLIONS of these suckers!"

Not nessesarily the batteries (harmful to the enviroment in their own right), but the hydrogen itself is produced in a dirty way. H2 is more of an energy storage system in that energy is taken from the Coal plant and used to crack the oxygen out of the water to create H2, even more to compress it and get it to your local H2 station. Don't like coal? how about some more nuclear plants? No? Well, we could invest in wind power, buuuuuutt...

NOT
IN
MY
BACKYARD

Asphalt, the stuff we use on our developed roads and highways, is actually 90% reusable. Essentially, Asphalt it is the thick and gloppy stuff that's left over from oil processing. That is mixed when aggregate stone, voila, you have a road covering that is fairly flexible and durable once it cools. Rip it up, melt it down, add in new aggregate and maybe some recycled tires for good measure, and lay it back down on the road

What I'm getting at here is that it's not enough to tell people that the human race is a disease on the earth. It's no use wishing for things to change, either. It is also unnessescary to go to the extremes of living in the wilderness.

Main Entry: ge·stalt
Pronunciation: g&-'s(h)tält, -'s(h)tolt
Function: noun
Inflected Form: plural ge·stalt·en /-&n/ or gestalts
: a structure, arrangement, or pattern of physical, biological, or psychological phenomena so integrated as to constitute a functional unit with properties not derivable by summation of its parts

Source: The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Human kind is a gestalt. What I mean by this is that, from the outside looking in, we are viewed as a warlike culture that delights in nothing more than drinking, polluting, and pillaging.
With the vast scheme of things, it's obvious to look at ourselves and give up in the immensity of the situation. The key to the gestalt, though, is that we are the fundamental units of the humanity we are.
The human body also serves as an example of a gestalt. All our organs serve a greater good to make up our body. Take them apart from eachother, they are lumps of flesh and goo that do nothing. Hook them together, and we've got a heart that beats, lungs that breathe, intestines that power it, all supported by a skeleton that is protected by your skin.
In the gestalt system, you cannot be readily differentiated from the masses. But you can make a difference. The majority of humanity, myself included, does not have the intelligence or or technical know-how to donate some miracle technology to humanity. You are part of humanity, for better or worse.
With that distinction made, you don't have to be a geinus or a saint. You just have to be a good human. Take responsibility for your actions. Turn off lights when you don't use them. Take shorter showers. If you can afford it, invest in some solar panels (Very long lifespan, by the way). Grow an organic garden. For gods' sake, stop buying at wal mart or mcdonalds. Give to charity. The list goes on.
Our ancestors made a great big mess of this planet. We can't just give up and say "Good try", can we? Just...take responsibility for who you are, and what your actions mean to the greater good. That's the first step.

If you don't mind, I'm gonna go ahead and get off this soap box

[edit on 29-1-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Are you kidding?

A great portion of the Earth's surface is still untouched by human hands. Outside of the major population centers -- China, India & Pakistan, the U.S. & Canada, and Europe -- there are small areas of population surrounded by wilderness, relatively speaking. Even in the countries where there are population centers, it's not hard to find huge areas of wilderness (the western U.S., most of Canada, western China, southeastern Europe, as examples).

Here's a random statistic which might help put things in perspective -- in the U.S., 3% of the land is covered over in concrete right now. All the housing, factories, roads, military bases, etc. accounts for just 3% of the total land in the U.S. Add in 40% of the land in U.S. that's used for farming and livestock (as in pastures), and you've still got half the land in the U.S. left over. And the U.S. is one of the most developed nations on the planet!

Now, I agree wholeheartedly that poorly using and wasting land is a bad thing, and it drives me crazy to see poorly thought out urban sprawl, for example. And the land we're not using should be left in its natural state. But the whole "we're running out of wilderness" bandwagon is more of an urban legend than a fact.

[edit on 1/29/2006 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoodDoctorFunk
...What I'm getting at here is that it's not enough to tell people that the human race is a disease on the earth...
[edit on 29-1-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

Go here. Read and heed. You go first and set the example for the rest of us...

www.vhemt.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I wasn't saying that humanity is not a disease or parasitic. I'm not going to kill myself, though, and I am not going to withold from breeding. Rather, breeding infers that two people are involved. If you were to have one kid, there would be One less person who was not replaced in the next generation.
I stand by what I said about people using hollow words about humanity without backing up their bluff.
I tread lightly on the world, which is much more than I can say for many of my fellows. But that's just me. In the end, humanity is free to choose it's direction

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Here's a random statistic which might help put things in perspective -- in the U.S., 3% of the land is covered over in concrete right now. All the housing, factories, roads, military bases, etc. accounts for just 3% of the total land in the U.S. Add in 40% of the land in U.S. that's used for farming and livestock (as in pastures), and you've still got half the land in the U.S. left over. And the U.S. is one of the most developed nations on the planet!

I have yet to fully read this thread, but this caught my eye...

ThunderCloud:

How much of the remaining land is habitable or usable? There is a vast chunk of territory in this country that is quite hostile to most life. How will your numbers change if you account for that fact?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
..How much of the remaining land is habitable or usable? There is a vast chunk of territory in this country that is quite hostile to most life...

All of it is habitable if society is willing to make the sacrifices. With a massive system of canals and dams we can turn the most arid desert into productive agricultural land. We can build cities in the Arctic if we choose to pay the energy costs. The most rugged and precipitous mountains can be leveled with enough heavy equipment and explosives.

It all comes to the costs society wishes to pay. Right now we have a tenuous balance of economic utilization and resource preservation. Fringe elements on both sides claim the other has the advantage, but all things considered contemporary American society has kept a reasonable balance.

Unlike the original poster I am quite optimistic about the future and know things are better now than a generation ago.

new topics

top topics

join