It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics - Why did you vote Conservative

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Gays? Why the hell should we care about gays? I'm more concerned about whether or not some shovelhead is gonna kick down my door with a machete or start a gunfight in a crowd than whether or not gays can get married.

The greatest figure in Canadian politics remarked "The state has no bussiness in the bedrooms of the nation."

DE

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I'm also curious why straight people think that relationships between gay people are only about sex. Gay people want love and companionship just like everyone else.

Gay marriage takes nothing away from heterosexual marriage. If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. Other than that, it's none of your business.

edited to add: the Conservative stance on gay marriage is the main reason I can't give them my vote.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by Duzey]

Based on sex and monetary gain. Forgot to mention that.

You can have love and companionship without marriage. If its called a marriage, it makes the couple eligible for such thuings as adoption and private benefits offered to 'spouses'.

Plus, there are people who have seriously taken advantage of this. A couple of male roomates last year in NB got married so that one of the roomates could be eligible for the others medical insurance/benefits at his job. And because one was unemployed, it lowered the household income and the other guy fell into a lower tax bracket. They both had steady girlfriends on the side.

**edit**

Also, this opens up the door for other things like polygamy.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by DeadEagle]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I hope your friend doesn't have any problems come divorce time. That's $1000 right there. Who'll be paying? Did they have a prenup? Will your friend be forced to pay alimony (after all, one of them is unemployed and is having his benefits paid for)? Will they also be splitting up the CCP accruals for the time period?

See, there's all sorts of stupid people who take advantage of this thinking it's all roses, but it's not. Yeah, it sounds like a good idea at the time, but when one has a legitimate claim on income and CCP contributions for the other, it's not so clever an idea anymore. Let's hope for your friends sake (the one with the higher income) that they stay good friends or he could be seriously screwed.

Originally posted by DeadEagle

I can also make a very good, pragmatic argument for this (not that I agree with it). And I will, once I get my new pc and don't have to post on my lunch break.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I hope your friend doesn't have any problems come divorce time. That's $1000 right there. Who'll be paying? Did they have a prenup? Will your friend be forced to pay alimony (after all, one of them is unemployed and is having his benefits paid for)? Will they also be splitting up the CCP accruals for the time period?

See, there's all sorts of stupid people who take advantage of this thinking it's all roses, but it's not. Yeah, it sounds like a good idea at the time, but when one has a legitimate claim on income and CCP contributions for the other, it's not so clever an idea anymore. Let's hope for your friends sake (the one with the higher income) that they stay good friends or he could be seriously screwed.

Originally posted by DeadEagle

I can also make a very good, pragmatic argument for this (not that I agree with it). And I will, once I get my new pc and don't have to post on my lunch break.

There was some sort of an agreement signed before it happened, not sure on the details.

I can make a good case against polygamy, bigamy, trigamy or plural-marriage or whatever you want to call it. I'll be checking.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post the names of the two parties which merged in December 2003 to become the Conservative Party of Canada in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]

The Canadian Alliance and the Progressive Conservative Party

top topics

<< 1   >>

join