It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran starts to rattle its Saif…

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The world threatens sanctions, Iran threatens military action. Anybody surprised?

haaretz.com

A senior Iranian official threatened that Tehran may forcibly prevent oil export via the Straits of Hormuz if the UN imposed economic sanctions due to Iran's nuclear program, an Iranian news Web site said on Monday.

This is the first time an Iranian official makes military threats in a public statement on Tehran's recent disagreements with the West.

And more importantly:

Rudaki said that "if Europe does not act wisely with the Iranian nuclear portfolio and it is referred to the UN Security Council and economic or air travel restrictions are imposed unjustly, we have the power to halt oil supply to the last drop from the shores of the Persian Gulf via the Straits of Hormuz."

Iran is not only defying the world in regards to its nuclear development, they will use military force to defy any sanctions imposed on it as a result. Iran will use force to keep ALL oil from leaving the gulf, not just their own.

Looks like Iran just wants a fight…I think they may get one.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The Iranian Navy will last about 5 minutes if it attempts to blockade any trade routes to other countries.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Anyone have current info on what kind of shape the Iranian Navy is in?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Iran's Navy is not the threat to the USA, land based anti ship systems would be the threat.

Iran would use its navy to keep tankers and such from leaving the gulf, but would use land based weapons to engage any warships.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Oh please. So when the US picks a fight with someone, that isnt wrong. When Iran defends itself or threatens to defend itself...thats wrong. Talk about the classic Orwellian ''double-think''.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by LetKnowledgeDrop]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Looks like Iran just wants a fight…I think they may get one.

It's Iran's way of imposing their own sanctions in reply to sanctions placed on them.

Iran did not pick the fight.

And if you are going to quote "Israel should be wiped off the map", the hardliners have been saying that in Iran since the revolution, but Israel is still here.

Iran's government are not stupid. They won't use nukes on Israel, because they know Iran would be destroyed in return, as well as the Palestinians being victims in the aftermath alongside Israel of any attack by Iran.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The biggest treat that Iran will be is not about nuclear weapons but rather a retaliation against the Persian gulf.

It they attack the Persian gulf it will be a tragic and very costly interruption of oil supplies that will affect the entire region, Europe and the US.

Why will they do that? because they know that is all about oil.

Imagine what a shortage of oil will do to the superpowers of the world that depend on it specially the US.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LetKnowledgeDrop
Oh please. So when the US picks a fight with someone, that isnt wrong. When Iran defends itself or threatens to defend itself...thats wrong. Talk about the classic Orwellian ''double-think''.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by LetKnowledgeDrop]

ITS NOT JUST THE US!

news.bbc.co.uk...

The move was condemned by the US and European countries,

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw also issued a statement condemning Iran's decision.

and he was to meet his French and German counterparts, along with EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana, in Berlin on Thursday to decide their response.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about LetKnowledgeDrop? With a name like that, you sure like to spin facts. It seems to me you just repeat the talking points you read on websites that sell anti-alien caps.

War with Iran? Yep and i'm scared as crap right now. In fact I had a dream a couple nights ago that we had started bombing and woke up in a cold sweat.

Has anyone seen the movie "The Day After" or "Threads"?

www.imdb.com...
www.imdb.com...

Both movies are about a nuclear war that starts in Iran.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The US would shut down and destroy 90% +of all offensive air and sea threats posed by Iran withen 48 hours. That is not to say that Iran could not score a few early hits on shiping.. including the Navy but over all Iran would be relegated to a ground army quickly.

That Army could makes some initial movements into Iraq and Kuwait but withen a week it would be uterly destroyed and demorilized.

The US would have no reason at all to inviade Iran but this would give the opening to destroy its nuclear plant and its military infrastructure. Only a week or two and the lights, communications and supply lines will be out across Iran.

Actually would be to the wests benifit to have Iran do something premptively to save all the BS UN resolutions and political crap that would otherwise have to happen to end the stuipidity.

If Iran starts a war all the US has to do is shut it down and eventually the people will over throw their own sicko governement. No ground troops even needed other than defending Kuwait and Iraq borders. Possibly some afgan skirmishes.

X

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The Iranians would probably use mines to assist in closing down oil supplies from the gulf,of course pushing up oil prices even more than they are now.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
What kills me about this is that it’s Bush calling for a diplomatic end to all of this. It is the Iranians who are being difficult and seem to be egging the world on to war. Yet, we still have all these numb skulls trying to convince us that it’s all part of Bush's dastardly plan.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by bmdefiant
The Iranians would probably use mines to assist in closing down oil supplies from the gulf,of course pushing up oil prices even more than they are now.

Exactly, Iran knows what will hurt the most, and that is the dependency of the oil and the effect on the oil markets.

They could be destroyed by a conflict but they will target the persian gulf first and any working oil field in their reach.

It took a long time for Kuwait to get back in business after the first gulf war and the environmental consequences were catastrophic.

But as everything ones loses in a conflict and others profited from it.

That is the way of wars and conflicts.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I feel war with Iran is Bush's magnum opus. Its gonna be the one thing that will fulfill his agenda as well as those who are in power in the big picture.

Lots of stuff will happen that will set things in motion. I wonder if anyone is trying to avert disaster...

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
What kills me about this is that it’s Bush calling for a diplomatic end to all of this. It is the Iranians who are being difficult and seem to be egging the world on to war. Yet, we still have all these numb skulls trying to convince us that it’s all part of Bush's dastardly plan.

Bush is calling for diplomacy? Since when?

He was the cause of all this back in 2001 with his idiotic and inflammatory "axis of evil" speech.
Up until that time Iran was becoming more moderate and relations with western nations were improving greatly.
I'm sure the plan to attack Iran was drawn up around the same time as the plans for Iraq. Things have probably stalled a bit with Sharons headache but I'm sure his replacement will get things moving again soon enough

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Originally posted by Dronetek

Bush is calling for diplomacy? Since when?

Have you ever heard of google.com? One search of: Bush+diplomacy+iran , gave me the following.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Bush urges Iran nuclear diplomacy

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and US President George W Bush
US President George W Bush has said he wants to resolve the Iranian nuclear crisis through peaceful means.

www.cbsnews.com...

Bush Diplomacy: Phase II

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2005
(AP / CBS)
(CBS) CBS News Reporter Charles Wolfson, has covered the State Department for CBS News for over a decade.
With the first foreign trip of his second administration now behind him, President George W. Bush has given initial indications of the course he wishes to take on several key issues, especially Iran. Mr. Bush knew he had a problem with key allies because of the way he handled the war in Iraq. Fixing that was at the top of the agenda for the meetings in Europe this week. The best and most practical news he got was at NATO where all twenty-six members agreed the organization should help train and equip Iraqi security forces. Not everyone was enthusiastic about the idea, but no one said "no."

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

Bush: Diplomacy with Iran is best
(Agencies)
Updated: 2005-04-14 08:38

The Bush administration on Wednesday reaffirmed its commitment to diplomacy as the best way to stop Iran from developing a nuclear weapon while Israel's leader ruled out a military strike to destroy Tehran's nuclear program.

www.washtimes.com...

Nuclear diplomacy with Iran

By Ilan Berman

You may have missed it, but sometime this spring, the Bush administration decided to subcontract its Iran strategy to Europe. In late February, in a dramatic reversal of its long-standing assertion that the United States will not negotiate with Iran over its nuclear ambitions, the White House unexpectedly announced that it was siding with the "EU 3" — France, Germany and Great Britain — in their efforts to diplomatically stall Tehran's atomic advances.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Iran's Navy is not the threat to the USA, land based anti ship systems would be the threat.

Iran would use its navy to keep tankers and such from leaving the gulf, but would use land based weapons to engage any warships.

No but the Iranian navy with its allies "Russia and China" could be a real "challenge"

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Dronetek, Bush would not recognise diplomacy if it came up and bit him on the arse!

Like I mentioned previously, he was the one who started all the trouble with Iran, at a time when it's leaders were trying to mend relations.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Russia sees what is going on, realizes that Iran has initiated this whole debacle and does not want to miss out on the lucrative rebuilding cash cow.

China is not going to buck the world in such a manner.

Yes, Iran is totally innocent. It makes it a point to supply and finance terrorists, demands the destruction of Israel and persues nuclear weaponry although the rest of the world is calling for the termination of such a program.

I can see how the Iranian president could not recognize his insanity, but I fail to understand how observers can fail to see it and then post the innocense of the Iranian government's continued actions and behavior.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I agree with you sweatmonicaIdo, the destabilization of Iran did not work, so now final conflict will be done before Bush gets out of power, when US invaded Iraq, Iran was part of the deal but Iraq proved to be a littler bit hard to deal with.

Bush will not leave office until Iran is deal with.

The diplomatic means are part of the strategic game played to make US look to the rest of the world as a fair player.

We know what kind of diplomatic means we are talking about is my way or the highway.

Bush will be crazy to invade Iran, Iran is bigger than Iraq and much more stable as a country with plenty of loyalist to die for the cause and take as many of our soldiers as they can.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No but the Iranian navy with its allies "Russia and China" could be a real "challenge"

I doubt either Russia or China are likely to intervene directly.
Russia appears to be washing their hands of the whole Iranian mess since the Iranians turned down their enrichment offer, and China has been laying low despite their energy deals with Iran.

It's not in either's interest to confront the US directly.
They'd much rather see the US weakened further by getting caught up in another grinding mideast war, without actually having to do anything themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join