It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Type 45 launches in 1 week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
just a reminder to everyone that HMS Daring is being lauched on the 1st February on the Clyde. It will be a traditional slip launch and if anyone is around would be well worth trying to have a look.

www.type45.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
cool.

of course, being 30 now, I can expect to live for about ten years after it becomes obsolete.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
you must be in very good shape if you think you will survive that long!!!!!!
knowing traditional UK government policy, we will still e using them 35 years from now

[edit on 25-1-2006 by paperplane_uk]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I believe average male life expectancy is now about 70 years in this country. Non-Carrier Warships typicly have a useful service life closer to 25, 30 tops.

Of course, there's also a difference between being obsolete and being useless. The oldest missile weapons in existance (thrown rocks) are still in widespread use, and frankly, no nation can ever afford to just scrap all of it's warships once something better comes along. So you may be using them in 35 years, but I'll still call them obsolete by then.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
paperplane do you know what other warship are being currently built on the Clyde only I went pass the shipyards (at the BAe systems site) on Monday and caught a fleeting glance of strange warship under construction ... very high superstructure large flat deck (big helicopter area) stern had a massive opening ... I thought it must amphibious/landing/dock ship because of the open stern, unless it is left open to aid engine installation ... in which case it might have been the Type 45

[edit on 25-1-2006 by Popeye]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Sounds like one of the new bay class ships to me...

[img]http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/data/[(1447)-23-11-2005]BayFor.jpg[/img]
This look like it?
Mounts Bay and Cardigan Bay are 2 being built.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Sounds like one of the new bay class ships to me...

[img]http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/data/[(1447)-23-11-2005]BayFor.jpg[/img]
This look like it?
Mounts Bay and Cardigan Bay are 2 being built.

That it exactly saw her mainly from the stern

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yeah we've got 2 down here and the officer incharge of both is quite a cool guy, goes to our SCC unit.

They recently had to go back into port because the engines blew up
sea water went back into the engine.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
yeah it could only be a bay class '___', we have 4 being built at the moment
2 on the clyde and 2 on the tyne (Swans). just for reference the other major vessels being built at the moment are Hms daring and its first two sister ships being built mostly at goven but with the bows and masts at Vospers. BAE in barrow has 3 astute class vessels being built but are at least 18 months from launching the first i think (old info). Vospers is also building HMS Clyde in Portsmouth, she is the new OPV(H) for the falklands.

Ps. I saw some pics of HMS clyde earlier in the week and she is coming along very quickly should be launched at a guess within the next 6 months.

PPs the marines are also getting some new boats to replace the rigid raiders etc they use now. prototype just passed intial testing

www.navynews.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
PPs the marines are also getting some new boats to replace the rigid raiders etc they use now. prototype just passed intial testing

www.navynews.co.uk...

Very nice...
I want a shot

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I thought you might like that, Devil, thats why i included them. They can be quicky converted (by the addition of armour plates and heavy weaponry) from a troop carrier to a mobile fire platform. From what i have heard the make the rigid raider look like a tea tray

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Why so many launches?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Found some more info for you Devil! These will be the toys you get to olay with when you get in.

www.mod.uk...

The craft will replace the in-service Rigid Raiding Craft Mk3, but is a world apart in capability. It differs markedly from most of our boats as it has an aluminium hull, a solid foam collar, twin Steyr diesel engines and Rolls-Royce water jets.

It has incredible manoeuvrability with good acceleration and the ability to turn in its own axis and stop in 1.5 boat lengths. Its total payload is 1.5 tonnes, which is derived from eight troops, two crew and all their equipment and with this load the craft will exceed 35kts and has a range in excess of 250Nm.

It is designed to ensure the troops arrive “fit to fight” therefore, it has a sea kindly Vee hull with the troops sitting as far aft as possible.

This resulted in mounting the engines much further forward than is traditional and using long shafts to connect the engines to the water jets.

Another change in tactics is for the troops to disembark and embark from the aft end of the craft rather than over the bow. This allows the coxswain to maintain control in surf. Due to the water jets and shallow draught the troops will only wade in knee-deep water as opposed to chest deep with the current RRC3.

The initial invitation to tender was stalled due to Operation Telic and lessons learned from this conflict have been incorporated in the design. So much so, the craft can be easily converted within a couple of hours to a fire support platform.

In this role troops will be protected within a citadel of ballistic material and able to fire up to four general purpose machine guns. Despite being a small boat, this will provide spectacular firepower. In addition, to GPMGs, grenade- launchers, smoke discharges and other weapon systems are being included in the design. The fire support role is designed for Riverine patrols.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sadly I think I will be joining the RNR or the RMR and not going full service....but heh if I stay with the SCC I should get a shot at caledonia some time...
Nice job mate,
Wonder if you can make it cartwheel?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The launch video is now in the website.

www.type45.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have just been reading up on the type 45..Pretty cool except I hate the look of it. Does not look like some advanced warship to me lol. I think the full electric propulsion system sounds interesting.

top topics

join