It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia catches British Spying with rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Here's a link to the story...while its nothing big, check out the last sentence in the story, sorta got me worried about russia's friendship with us.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Russia is in no condition militarily to be threatening the US. I mean, no offense to the Russians, but thats kind of a bold statement to be making for a country that has most of its best equipment down with no parts to replace them. It may be a misinterpretation of the statement, but who knows, its a crazy world.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Russia is in no condition militarily to be threatening the US.

The hell it's not! - after such a pathetic performance of the US Army in Iraq, I doubt anyone would be scared of it.

Anyway, this is really odd, and I'm not sure what the Brits mean when they say they are Surprised - surprised that Russia found out about this, or suprised such a thing is happening in this day and age or surprised these alligations are being made up or what.....

I wonder if this could interfere with the British-Russian join anti-terrorist excersises a bit later this year.

I'd really like to know if this is true or not.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
The hell it's not! - after such a pathetic performance of the US Army in Iraq, I doubt anyone would be scared of it.

Anyway, this is really odd, and I'm not sure what the Brits mean when they say they are Surprised - surprised that Russia found out about this, or suprised such a thing is happening in this day and age or surprised these alligations are being made up or what.....

I wonder if this could interfere with the British-Russian join anti-terrorist excersises a bit later this year.

Thats your opinion, do you really know anything about military operations? Holding 2 countries with less then 200,000 ground combat personnel is no small feat. With appx 2500-2800 KIA out of the original number of appx. 250,000 troops. Thats in almost 3 full years, if thats poor performance then what would be good performance?

Anyhow, the Russians dont really surprise me in their intelligence agencies skills. They are very experienced in this area. The KGB wasnt feared by the west for nothing. Very skiiled intelligence personnel in Russia.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Thats your opinion, do you really know anything about military operations? Holding 2 countries with less then 200,000 ground combat personnel is no small feat. With appx 2500-2800 KIA out of the original number of appx. 250,000 troops. Thats in almost 3 full years, if thats poor performance then what would be good performance?

?? The countries aren't really big or anything.

A good performance would have seen all US combat personall leave Iraq in a month or two after Invasion.

But mainly it's the inefficiency of the US Army, like how they use 250,000 bullets for every insurgion killed...and how the US forces in Iraq had to import ammo from Israel, because the States couldn't make enough to keep up with demand from a small war which Bush claims has been won.

But to be fair, the odds are against the US Army in Iraq, Bush should have never sent them there in the first place...but we all know that already - dont we?

Anyhow, the Russians dont really surprise me in their intelligence agencies skills. They are very experienced in this area. The KGB wasnt feared by the west for nothing. Very skiiled intelligence personnel in Russia.

Indeed.

But I wish some questions would be answered....here's another one:

What the hell are the British agents spying on exactly?

Donating money to NGO's is by no means illegal, so what are they covering up?

Russia is an ally of Britain, just like it's an ally of USA - so whats up with all this hostility....honestly I don't think Britain is doing the world good with all this spying crap.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Im not really sure what to make of this yet...its not headline news on the BBC today (we're more interested in who is going to be the next England football manager!!!). I feel like its being played down by the media; it would be highly embarrasing for the government if the public were to discover that we are conducting spying missions in Russia. I don't trust Tony Blair at the best of times!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I thought you brits just sent a 00 in with a sweet car to play with gadgets and screw hot women, and then save the day...Why spy?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It would be foolish not to spy on world powers, especially one as secretive as Russia. Its generally accepted that each nation will spy on eachother, but you will be made to look foolish if you're caught.

Does Russia spy on the UK ? Of course they do! The idea is to make it difficult for them to spy on us.

Not sure I'm filled with confidence that we rely on people hanging around a rock, and kick it when it doesn't seem to be working!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
...a non story...

The point is any foriegn agent worth his salts would not be using such a lame relay device in such a public place... especially in Moscow. I've lived there and if you even take a piss where you're not supposed to you have the Moscow militia drive up to you and take all your details and ID n stuff...

ESPECIALLY if you're foreign...

The fact is the FSB are looking for excuses to hassle NGOs and journalists with US and UK links, and cooking up a stupid spy story is typical KGB/MVD rubbish...

It's a shame, but this has been going on for years (when I was out there, Journalists were being raided by FSB agents every other week for articles criticising the govt, them claiming they were 'west sponsered'). I'm very fond of Russia and spent a lot of time in European Rus, but some things don't change very much...

for those who are worried... don't be. If the FSB are doing someting shady and offensive (combatative... not insulting people's mothers) you wouldnt know about it until it was too late anyhow...

Q

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Qoelet]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Russia is an ally of Britain, just like it's an ally of USA - so whats up with all this hostility....honestly I don't think Britain is doing the world good with all this spying crap.

Allies? Only in name, very few countries in this world are actual allies, the rest are just friends with interests. All of these “allies” spy on each other, because they know when the… hits the fan most if not all of those “allies” will not be there to back them up. I would be more worried if the US or Britain didn’t spy on Russia.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Russia is in no condition militarily to be threatening the US.

Pathetic performance my ass!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
er...

What has the US in Iraq got to do with the thread?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

?? The countries aren't really big or anything.

A good performance would have seen all US combat personall leave Iraq in a month or two after Invasion.

But mainly it's the inefficiency of the US Army, like how they use 250,000 bullets for every insurgion killed...and how the US forces in Iraq had to import ammo from Israel, because the States couldn't make enough to keep up with demand from a small war which Bush claims has been won.

But to be fair, the odds are against the US Army in Iraq, Bush should have never sent them there in the first place...but we all know that already - dont we?

Indeed.

But I wish some questions would be answered....here's another one:

What the hell are the British agents spying on exactly?

Donating money to NGO's is by no means illegal, so what are they covering up?

You stupid # if we would have left after a motn or two, we would have yet again abandoned another country.They would still be suffering from another terroristic regime.HAVENT WE ABANDONED ENOUGH COUNTRIES?

new topics

top topics

join