It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives Win Minority In Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The Conservative Party under Stephen Harper has officially won a MINORITY GOVERNMENT for Canada.

However, at the moment, the final tally on how the seats will be distributed is still in question. One very interesting thing, for those who followed the coverage, will note this combination:

Conservatives: 123
Liberals: 104
Bloc Quebecois: 50
NDP: 31
Independant: 1
Undecided: 1

This combination has danced around very often during the night, and is very important to point out, because under it the Conservatives, even with NDP support, do not have ultimate power. At the same time, the Liberals, even with Bloc support, could not simply bring down government and thus have power. At this level, EVERY seat is important - and I have a feeling that the Independant seat will be massively important in this next government, more or less holding the balance of power on whether a government will hold or fall during matters of confidence, or whether other bills will pass.

It is also important to note that 1 vote remains undecided, and as I said, at this tight a race, every vote counts.

Also, I will point out that the Conservatives, although the big winners of this election, will have to really play the middle ground in parliament in order to remain in power. This means that for the very large and "scary" issues that people were afraid of the Conservatives pulling in, the other parties will have enough power to confront the Conservatives and pull them from power if brought to a confidence vote, and so those fears will likely fall into shadow.

Also, the Bloc Quebecois, holding VERY steady at 50 seats (this is highly unlikely to change), have lost 2 seats this campaign - and have fallen short of the critical 50% of Quebec support. This demonstrates a fall in seperatist movement, and hopefully will lead to a more unified Canada.

The most massive winners so far have been the NDP, having almost doubled their seats from 17 to between 32 and 30 seats. Depending on the final outcome of the election, they could be the "Kings of Parliament" - since their support might be all that stands between a Conservative government's stand in power, and fall in power. Not to mention the popular vote gains, and the corresponding gains to their party's monetary support for the election to come. The NDP have proven once again that they can be a power.

Finally, for a period of about 10min, the Green Party was also in the lead for a seat. Whether this will come out again (or may be why the riding from B.C. has not yet been reported), in unknown, but unlikely. However, it was the first time in Canadian history that the Green Party did "come on the board" so to speak - and would've granted the party official party status for national debates during the next federal election.

Unfortunately, their overall popular support has fallen, which could prove ominous for a party that should have been able to gain real ground this election with the standing government's weakness.

Tomorrow shall be an interesting day here in Canada. To all those on Above Top Secret and PTS, have a great day!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I watched this all last night on Cspan, they went live throughout the election. I was so happy to see a new government being voted in, it brought tears to my eyes.

I know this is a really great step in Canadian history, more people will realise that they have more power over the federal government then they ever thought before, more accountability will be put in place in the government because Harper saw too much corruption and too many politician's getting away with it, and there will be a lower gst!

I know he means it too, the liberals always talked and talked and talked about cutting the gst, actually if I recall correctly it was 'getting rid of the gst' but that never happened.

This is really good news and i'm looking forward to going back home now.
The guaranteed wait times are too late for my father as he sat and sat, waiting, and ended up with a hanicap parking permit because he couldn't get surgery asap.

This is a wonderful turning point in Canadian history and i'm glad to be alive to see it!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
How anyone could vote in this anit-abortion, pro missile defence, anti kyoto agreement, pro Iraq war man is beyond me. "A time for a change" is great and all, but a change for the worse is not a good thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That's where the balance of power comes in, Harper will meet a lot of opposition, it will be very interesting indeed.
I don't think Paul should have stepped down though from the Liberal party.

I didn't vote for Harper (NDP I did) I don't agree with Harpers way of thinking, but he only has a minority government.
This is his big test!

(and I hope religion stays away from his politics, we'll see.)

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
sensfan, anti-abortion, anti-kyoto, same-sex marriage, pro missile defence was not on the conservatives plat-form.

I believe it was government accountability, tougher crimminal legislation, guranteed waiting times, daycare and fiscal imbalance.

Paul Martin and the liberals made the above scare tactics as their platform, and didn't offer anything else.

True lies- Loved you post. From one conservative to another.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

True lies- Loved you post. From one conservative to another.

Correct me if I'm wrong True lies but I believe she's a Libertarian.

Also alpha, Harper did say he wants a free vote on the Gay Marriage issue so it was on their platform.

BTW The Liberals were in favor of missile defense at one point, but when it because obvious that Canadians wouldn't stand for it then he dropping it right quick just like the Iraq war which I also suspect they were mostly in favor.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

www.thestar.com

The Conservative leader said he wouldn't try to live up to Canada's commitments under the Kyoto climate-change accord
Harper said he'd turn his back on Kyoto, because its targets can't be met, and he'd set Canadian-made targets instead for reducing greenhouse-gas emissions.

www.thestar.com

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper says he's ready to reopen the debate over Canadian participation in the American missile defence system.

The missile defence initiative, combined yesterday with a Harper pledge to turn his back on the Kyoto accord and his refusal to endorse a $5 billion deal for aboriginal aid, could signal the type of major policy realignment Canadians can expect under a Harper government.

In an interview with Radio-Canada yesterday, Harper pledged a free vote in the House of Commons on the controversial proposal to join the missile defence program.

www.canada.com

Newman: On the issue of abortion, will you pledge that there will be no legislation on abortion, there will never be a free vote in Parliament on that issue?

Harper: Never is a long time. What I'm saying is I have no desire to see that issue debated in the near future. We're saying very clear in our platform we're not going to support or initiate abortion legislation and frankly I don't want this Parliament to have an abortion debate.

Newman: So to be clear, you support a woman's right to choose?

Harper: I've always said my views on the abortion issue are complex, I don't fall into any of the neat polar extremes on this issue.

Newman: Explain them then if they are complex.

Harper: No, I don't need to because I'm not proceeding with an abortion agenda.

www.theglobeandmail.com

Within hours of the writ being dropped, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper punched a hot-button issue from the last election.

In a press conference Tuesday, Mr. Harper said if Parliament supported the move in a free vote, he would endeavour to reinstate the traditional definition of marriage as prime minister.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Uhh does Harper want us to go to the polls in another few months or something
He's already acting like he has a majority mandate. Idiot. He promised to tow the middle line, and he is already breaking that promise. That must be a new record.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I can understand the confusion over the Conservatives platform.

After all, it's kind of hard to know what's going on when your candidates aren't allowed to talk to reporters....

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Guess what. Now that Regent Park is getting torn down Mayor Miller is now not so sure we'll even be even able to afford to rebuild those housing units. Great more Urban stagnation.

new topics

top topics

join