It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schr�dinger's cat comes closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is an absolutley bizarre case of quantum mechanics at work. The scenario is a little more than mind boggling to say the least, and the possibilities are .....

They say in this article that something called decoherence prevents large objects from being two places at the same time, however, arent large objects made up of atoms?

www.nature.com...

The physicist Erwin Schr�dinger famously said that quantum theory would allow the existence of a cat that was simultaneously living and dead.

Now a team of physicists has published the recipe for making a large object - not cat-sized, but certainly bacterium-sized - in such a quantum quandary1. A tiny mirror, they propose, can be in two places at once.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I am so sick and tired of that cat. physical things like that simply CAN'T be in two places at once. But then, that all depends on what you consider a space...
deep, huh?

But seriously, they lost my support when they said mirror. Simply because it will only APPEAR that it's in two places at once. An optical illusion, of sorts. They'll impress me when the find a way for my money to be in two place at once.

Alright. Peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Loki, you have to start small first...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
I am so sick and tired of that cat. physical things like that simply CAN'T be in two places at once.

Loki take it more as a methaphor.

Most westerners only see things true or false, 1 or 0.
What Cat's theory tells you is that there is more to life than that. It is not 1 or 0, it's inbetween

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Shroedinger didn't theorize that there may be two cats one dead one alive.Shroedingers cat was a metaphor for the difficulties that scientists have when observing experiments at a quantum level.The idea was that if you look in the box to ascertain if the cat is alive or dead the cat dies and therefore it has effected the experiment.The act of observing things on a quantum level effects them.

top topics

join