It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books on Ancient Civilizations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Someone asked a couple of days ago about books on ancient civilizations.
I did try a search through the archived threads but found it much too tedious, so rather than spend hours doing that -- I decided to compile my own list. It is by no means extensive but it does have a lot of the 'out there' authors. If anyone else wants to add to the list, please feel free. They were all I could think of at the time but I am sure there are tons more.

The first 3 books (which I haven’t read) are from the Edgar Cayce website and tell his version of Atlantis, South America and Mu.

Most of these authors I have read at least 1 book that they wrote. All of them seem to have a different or controversial idea of what may have happened in our past and a lot of their concepts are mentioned in various threads on the board.

1. A.R.E.'s Search for Atlantis
Gregory L. and Lora H. Little

2. Secrets of the Ancient World
Lora H. Little, Ed.D, Gregory L. Little, Ed.D., John Van Auken

3. Ancient South America
Recent Evidence Supporting Edgar Cayce's Story of Atlantis and Mu
Gregory L. Little, Ed.D., John Van Auken; Lora Little, Ed.D.

4. Gods of Eden
Egypt’s Lost Legacy and the Genesis of Civilization
Andrew Collins

5. Gateway to Atlantis
The Search For The Source Of A Lost Civilization
Andrew Collins

6. From the Ashes of Angels
The Forbidden Legacy of a Forgotten Race
Andrew Collins

7. Earth Chronicles Expeditions
Zecharia Sitchin

8. From Atlantis to the Sphinx
Colin Wilson

9. The Atlantis Blueprint
Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-Lost Civilization
Colin Wilson, Rand Flem-Ath

10. When the Sky Fell
In Search of Atlantis
Rand Flem-Ath

11. Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings
Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
Charles H. Hapgood

12. Message of the Sphinx
A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
Graham Hancock

13. Underworld
The Mysterious origins of Civilization
Graham Hancock

14. Supernatural
Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
Graham Hancock

15. Fingerprints of the Gods
Evidence of Earth’s Lost Civilization
Graham Hancock

16. Heaven’s Mirror
Quest for the Lost Civilization
Graham Hancock

17. The Orion Mystery
Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
Robert Bauval

18. Pyramid Quest
Secrets of the Great Pyramid and the Dawn of Civilization
Robert M. Schoch, Ph.D. and Robert Aquinas McNally

19. Voices of the Rocks
A Scientist Looks at Catastrophes and Ancient Civilizations
Robert M. Schoch, Ph.D.

20. Voyages of the Pyramid Builders
Robert M. Schoch, Ph.D.

21. Survivors of Atlantis
Their Impact on World Culture
Frank Joseph

22. Atlantis and Lemuria
Frank Joseph

23. The Sirius Mystery
New Scientific Evidence for Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
Robert K.G. Temple

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
A very nice compilation, sparkie...I have 9 out of the 23 you listed.

I would like to add to those titles with a few selections which I think you might like...

The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age
Richard Rudgley
Touchstone ISBN 0-684-85580-1

The Sign and the Seal
Graham hancock
Touchstone ISBN0-671-86541-2

Mankind and Mother Earth
Arnold Toynbee
Grenada Publishing ISBN0-586-08314-6

Man and His Symbols
Carl Jung
Dell ISBN0-440-35183-5

Man the Messiah: God's Plan Fulfilled (Edgar Cayce on OT)
Robert W Krajenke
Bantam Books

Legends of the Earth
Dorothy B Vitaliano
Citadel Press ISBN 0-8065-0534-6

The White Goddess
Robert Graves
Carcanet Press ISBN 0-571-17425-6

The Occult
Colin Wilson
Vintage Books ISBN 0-394-71813-5

I have a large number of books related Native American history, although I'm not sure if you're interested in those. For me, there is nowhere else a better source for the study of ancient civilizations. Ignored and largely forgotten as a New Age affectation, the civilizations of the Americas are a fountain of information, 10's of thousands of years old, and just bursting to be discovered.

Sometimes the very thing we are staring far over the horizon to catch a glimpse of, is actually right under our collective noses .

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Please include the list of books on Native American History, it is just as important as anyone else's view and could give us other ways of looking at things than the regular streams. I will have to see what my public library holds from your list. Preoccupied with the Canadian elections right now but will have a really good look at your list. From a brief glance I have read only a couple from it so I will have a great deal of reading ahead. Yaa

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
All the books by David Hatcher Childress, he is a prolific writer who has been to virtually all the places he mentions. His books were a good series to get an idea of the scope of ancient cultures.

"Legend" and "A Test of Time" David Rohl, for Sumer, Egypt, and Israel

"New View over Atlantis" Mitchell about megalith, ley lines, etc.

"Cataclysm: The day the earth nearly died" Allen and Delair. evidence of how the last one ended, about 9500 BC

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Great sources!
Please keep on going!

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I recently bought Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith, by Graham Hancock, which is a book along these lines. I haven't yet read it, though, but it sounded interesting enough to lay down twenty-something dollars for it. I haven't read anything by him so far, but I've been to his website, www.grahamhancock.com I've also heard mixed reviews about his writing, but again, until I read it I can't comment on that.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
With the exception of the Inca and Mayan civilization, there are relatively few books which cover the civilizations north of Mexico. I am of the opinion that there is a reason for this. Authorship of books pertaining to the true history and religion of the North American Native communities give credence to a system of belief which flies in the face of the established European doctrine.

My own Christian values changed dramatically as I explored the scant information which exists in terms of Nature Based Religion. A very brief fling with 'Old World paganism', through Wicca, opened a door to Native American traditions which, in many ways, paralleled what I found meaningful in that short-lived experience. The books, which I have been gathering because of that revelation, now occupy 'primary' space in my collection.

These are the ones which I found most enlightening...

The Sacred Scrolls of the Southern Ojibway
Selwyn Dewdney
University of Toronto Press
ISBN0-8020-3321-0

They Shared to Survive
Selwyn Dewdney/ Franklin Arbuckle
MacMillan of Canada
ISBN 0-7705-1349-2

Indian Rock Paintings of the Great Lakes
Second Edition
Selwyn Dewdney/ Kenneth E. Kidd
Published for the Quetico Foundation
University of Toronto press

Ojibway Heritage
Basil Johnstone
McClelland & Stewart
ISBN 0-7710-4442-9
(I suggest any of the dozen books Basil Johnston has written, especially 'Ojibway Ceremonies' in conjunction with the above mentioned book)

The Ojibwa of Southern Ontario
Peter S Schmalz
University of toronto Press
ISBN 0-8020-6778-6

Sacred Legends of the Sandy Lake Cree
James R. Stevens
McClellend & Stewart Ltd.
ISBN 0-7710-8355-6

Potlatch
George Clutesi
Gray's Publishing Ltd

Native Americans
Edward S Curtis
Tashen
ISBN 3-8228-1353-2
(This book is a portfolio of photographs Edward S. Curtis took in his travels between 1907 and 1930)

Native North America
David Hurst Thomas
Oxford University Press
ISBN 0-19-510887-6

Book of the Fourth World
Gordon Brotherson
Cambridge University Press
ISBN 0-521-31493-3

Book of the Hopi
Frank Waters
Viking Press

A Forest of Kings
Linda Schele/ David Friedel
William Morrow and Company, Inc.
ISBN 0-688-07456-1

The Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya
Mary Miller/ Karl Taube
Thames and Hudson
ISBN 0-500-27928-4

The Maya
Life, Myth and Art
Timothy Laughton
Duncan Baird Publishers
ISBN 1-900131-81-1

Art Beyond the West
Micheal Kampen O'Riley
Laurence King Publishing
ISBN 1-85669-269-8
(This book also details art outside of the Americas, but yet what is covered is important, and so I include this book)

Art of the Andes
Rebecca Stone-Miller
Thames and Hudson Ltd
ISBN 0-500-20286-9

and, last but not least, one for all the ATSers...

The Mayan Prophecies
Adrian G Gilbert/ Maurice M Cotterell
Element Books
ISBN 1-85230-906-7

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Everyone interested in this subject should read Climate Change in Prehistory by William James Burroughs

It's actual science, based on real evidence - as opposed to the invented evidence, misunderstandings and misinterpretations upon which many of the previously listed books are based.

And, although I don't agree with his conclusions, Before the Flood by Iain Wilson is also fairly well grounded in reality (or, at least, speculative reality).

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think almost all researchers will find the impressive and massive collection of works available for free at The Internet Sacred Text Archive invaluable. Another tremendous resource I only recently uncovered is the Twilit Grotto's Esoteric Archives, which while not specifically oriented toward the study of ancient civilizations is certain to have a great deal of interesting information on the subject. In fact there is so much copyright free material available online that a great deal of research and learning can be conducted without leaving the house or laying down a single dime.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cicada
I think almost all researchers will find the impressive and massive collection of works available for free at The Internet Sacred Text Archive invaluable. Another tremendous resource I only recently uncovered is the Twilit Grotto's Esoteric Archives, which while not specifically oriented toward the study of ancient civilizations is certain to have a great deal of interesting information on the subject. In fact there is so much copyright free material available online that a great deal of research and learning can be conducted without leaving the house or laying down a single dime.

Excellent advice, Cicada...especially the Sacred Texts site. While it fdoes not yet have a particularly expansive section on Native Americans, what is there is still important. As well, they are in the process of expanding this section.
In relation to other histories, Sacred Texts is a gushing well of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I recently bought Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith, by Graham Hancock, which is a book along these lines.

I hate to disappoint you, but i found the book quite boring. It wasn't really earth-shattering, but it's not a waste of money either. If you're interested in religion and freemasonry I'm sure you'll find it a good read though. I had expected something totally different, and was quite disappointed.

I bought Supernatural two days ago, from what I've read about it on net, it's a very good book, so I can't wait to start reading it.

I've also read The Message of the Sphinx (Keeper of the Genesis) and The Orion Mistery (by Robert Bauval and Adrian Gilbert)

A book that is on top of my list right now is:

Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
by Charles H. Hapgood

Originally posted by Essan
Everyone interested in this subject should read Climate Change in Prehistory by William James Burroughs

I hope to be able to get my hands on it, it seems like a very interesting book.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cicada
Another tremendous resource I only recently uncovered is the Twilit Grotto's Esoteric Archives, which while not specifically oriented toward the study of ancient civilizations is certain to have a great deal of interesting information on the subject.

I would like to add the online library of theTheosophy society
to this. Like The Twilit Grotto, it is related to ancient history indirectly and there is a huge volume of work available.

top topics

join