It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What religious texts have YOU read?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I just want to know what religious texts members of this community have read, it is something that simply interests me.

i'll start:

the bible
part of the babylonian epic of creation
various buddhist texts
parts of the book of mormon
the quran

edit: what do you think of the texts you have read?

also, this is not for a discussion of the religion behind the text, just the texts themselves.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The Bible, NIV, KJAV, and Good News versions.
The Qu'ran
The Bhagavad Gita
The Dammapada
The Apocrypha
The Gnostic Gospels
The Tibetan Book of the Dead
The Tao Te Ching

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Bible (KJV)
Book of Mormon
Book of Abraham, Book of Moses, and Doctrine&Covenants (other Mormon works)
some of the Koran

I have lots more I've downloaded from the internet, but haven't had time to read yet. If you count mythology as a religious text, I've also read some Greek and Roman mythology, but I consider those separate from 'religious texts'. Of the works I haven't read yet, I would like most to finish the Koran, read the Apocrypha, and some of the other biblical-era works, like the gospel of Thomas.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The Principia Discordia
The Catholic Bible
The King James Bible
The Gideon's Bible
The Odyssey
The Koran (translated by N. J Dawood, 1956)
And various assortments of mythology.

I assert that the Odyssey is a religious text, because it tells stories of interactions between deity and man. Heinrich Schliemann found the city of Troy from references in the Odyssey, so it has at least some connection to reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I've read the Bible - not all of it though.

I'd love to broaden my knowledge and get to know a bit more about other beliefs, but books related to Christianity keep me busy.

Can i ask, having read all those diff religious texts... what people believe? Don't want to pull this thread offtopic, just curious for a 1 line answer if nothing else

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
God or no God, it doesn't matter. Kindness is all that does.
'This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."
--Dalai Lama

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   

God or no God, it doesn't matter.

If there is no God, whether we believe or not in a god, perhaps, does not matter.
However, if there *is* a God... let's say... Jesus... it certainly does matter whether or not we believe in Him.

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
-- Jesus

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
so Buddha and Gandhi are damned to hell? Joining me, of course, which I like.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII

me to!

we can roast smores on our own burning souls!

i'll bring the marshmellows, last time i brought the chocolate i was attacked by a bear

not so much attacked, but it was close to me

ok, maybe it was far off in the horizon

but its still a bear

[edit on 23-1-2006 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I've allready got some people signed on to stage a coup.... want in?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hmm... i'm unwilling to go any more offtopic, pm me or start a new thread if u want to continue this.

To be polite i will reply, not that ur likely to take much notice...

I would be saddened to say that I believe so - but then, you don't believe in that. I can only say that it is your life, God gave us free will, and it is yours to do with it what you will..

PS: No not offended, but a question: is laughing at the concept of hell a symptom of disrespect for a belief system?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Sorry, it is. But I do respect all peoples' faiths as equally valid to my own, atheism too. I was getting a dig in at the ol' devil, no one else. I sometimes can't resist taking a poke at him. If he does exist, he is the only target of my joking, and also, if he does exist, I have no respect at all for him.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Koran
I Ching
Tao Te Ching
Urantia Book
Bible
Apocrypha
Book of Mormon
Various other Chinese Texts

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Sorry, it is. But I do respect all peoples' faiths as equally valid to my own, atheism too. I was getting a dig in at the ol' devil, no one else. I sometimes can't resist taking a poke at him. If he does exist, he is the only target of my joking, and also, if he does exist, I have no respect at all for him.

By all means, laugh at the devil. But distinguish between laughing at the devil, and laughing at the *belief* that hell could exist. There's a diff... subtle, yes, but still a diff.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
the bible
part of the babylonian epic of creation
parts of the book of mormon
the beginning of the quran
Mahabharata (not sure of spelling)

Mahabharata is the most interesting to read. It was like reading a good novel.

The quran was the most boring (felt I read the same again and again) so I only read the beginning.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The Rules of Maat
Medu Mtr
Buddhist text,
Book of the dead

Which I hold to be more truthful than others.

Yoruba concepts of religion
Sufi
Shinto
The Qu'ran
The Bhagavad-Gita
Bible (King James, International, Coptic)
Book of Mormon
Santeria
Minorly Hindu

Joseph Campbell got it right in the book heros of 10,000 faces. It talks about the comminalities among the ancient and modern texts and the relationships with each other.

[edit on 12/09-2005 by BlackThought]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
actual religious text.....

the bhagavad gita (read it constantly over and over again)
the 12 upanishads
the bible
the book of morman
the kuran

pluss i am an avid reader on hindu/vedic knowledge especially books written by a.c. bhaktivedanata swami prabhupada. i've read to many of these books to name them all. a few books on bhuddaism and taoism.
alot of old mythology from all over the world. norse, greek, roman, celtic .....

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
i found this thread from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back and was hoping to revive it, as it would really shed some light unto the background of some of the more recent members.

oh, and in addition to what i had read before, i've read:
the bhagavad gita
the 12 upanishads
parts of the tao te ching
and a boatload of mythology.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I've read:

Smatterings of the Bible(the OT and NT; though mostly NT).

The Havamal(very interesting).

A bunch of Greco/Roman, Norse, and Egyptian mythology. I really enjoy reading the Greco/Roman stuff, not to mention the Norse stuff which is always interesting. The Egyptian myths have never really interested me much, though(except for myths involving Horus).

I've also read a lot of Celtic myths and legends, like "Gods and Fighting Men" by Lady Gregory. The Celtic myths are my favorite by far, especially ones concerning Manannan mac Lir.

Overall, I've found that I've enjoyed the non-Judeo Christian texts much more.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
epic of gilgamesh
some koran
some talmud
some alistair crowley
and the best text of ALL time, The Holy Bible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join