It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Canada Votes 2006

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Hmmm,

Maybe Belinda Stronach? Seriously, I think she'll try.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Notice how the Bloc has about 8.8% of the national popular vote and the Greens have arounf 4.5%. The Bloc has about 50 seats, the Greens 0.

There's something to be said for some type of proportional representation.

How about with 36% of the popular vote a party can have around 120 seats (like in this election) and with 41% of the popular vote a party can have over 250 seats like the PC's in the 80's.

I'm glad to see the conservative and NDP gains, should be interesting to watch.

-raven

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm sure she will.
Whoever they vote for will have to be the most dynamic Liberal Party member ever if they want to take back a majority next election. They have a lot of work to do.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Regarding popular vote, NDP got 17.4 and the BQ got 10.5. As seats BQ has 51 while the NDP has only 29...

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Regarding popular vote, NDP got 17.4 and the BQ got 10.5. As seats BQ has 51 while the NDP has only 29...

The Bloc messes up the system. Quebecers vote based on ONE issue contributing to 51 seats that hinder Canada rather then help it.

-raven

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'm trying to think of a dynamic Liberal, but I'm having a bit of a problem with it.

It will be interesting to see who they pick.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I'm trying to think of a dynamic Liberal, but I'm having a bit of a problem with it.

It will be interesting to see who they pick.

Bob Ray

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I'm sure the Conservatives would love to pick up those Toronto seats in the next election.

Now there's a guy that can really unite the country - against him.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I just noticed this hasn't been posted yet. So to make record of it...

Conservative Party: 124

Liberal Party: 103

Bloc Québécois: 51

New Democratic Party: 29

Other: 1

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
shocked and stunned
how did that happen?
I am so disappointed.
I will now cease my whining, cuz I didn't vote.
Damn apathy.......
I always go liberal too...
Preston Manning was okay.......but that was it for me for that party.
They are way right. Just right of Mussolini. just kidding
But they are far right of center, the farthest ever to win nationally, I'd bet.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Jeez, it's just a Minority parliment not a Majority. If the Conservatives want to stay in power they are gonna have to do as Harper promised and that is to tow the middle grownd because if they don't then they will be the ones to get spanked this time next year.

The Liberals needed to be spanked and spanked hard. Now hopefully they will use this timeout to get their house in order. I'm very happy at the NDP showing this time around. Still not a Balance of power but much better then last time.

But they are far right of center, the farthest ever to win nationally, I'd bet.

It doesn't matter if they are more right then Atilla the Hun they have less power then Martins Minority last time around.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
they are totally toothless, yes, whew!
but, the world will see them as being our ideal leaders, our height of wisdom...........
good lord that is so depressing. Wheres Joe Clark when you need him?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I'd worry more about it being almost "hung".

Nothing can change, the whole Nation will be static and it results in more harm than having one Group running the place.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Good song lyrics.
Canada has earned whatever it gets for having done this.
Maybe we will ban all immigration, outlaw abortions and sex education, put creationism back in the curriculum, set curfews for teenagers, ban Sunday shopping, and............... okay I'm exaggerating, its just that my home riding has been Reform forever, I have seen it for so long.
Jeans, cowboy boots and sweatshirts will become the standard outfit in Parliament. Not impossible.....

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
BlackGuardXIII, reality check.

They have a majority of 21. That's not a ruling majority - in fact, they will be very lucky if anything gets done.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I guess having the COnservative minority is a good way to see how the COnservatives will perform under Harper. Depending on the results, I think next time might be a majority Conservative government. I don't see a Liberal Federal government back in for a little while. Could be wrong, of course.

I'm glad to see the NDP picking up even more seats along the way.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Hmmm,

Maybe Belinda Stronach? Seriously, I think she'll try.

I was reading Voices on The Star this morning. I found this funny...

It's been a few hours now since the results. Has Belinda Stronach found a way to defect yet?
Don Proctor, Toronto, Jan. 24

bwahahaha

I wouldn't be surprised if she tried for Liberal leadership, either. It'd be kinda funny to see her and Harper going up against her at a Federal level, but I'm bettin she'd be gettin the flip flopper calls not unlike Kerry did in the US

The fact that she switched parties could come back to haunt her. I dunno.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I wonder...

Do you think if Belinda returned to the Conservatives, Peter MacKay would take her back?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
To save us the trouble of having to vote again, I think the next election should be decided on which party leader can grow the biggest beard in 6 months

you'd make a great rhinocerous party representative

you know what was funny, is that ALL the leaders were pleased with the results. waht are the chances of THAT in a major national election.

god bless the four party system. i'm so relieved the conservatives don't have a majority. that would be scary.

i say good on the canadian people for realising although there was a sponsorship scandal, BOTH sides are doing it, and the liberals are the ones who got CAUGHT, lol. i'm guessing, but i like to think that's why the liberals didn't get decimated.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm feeling OK with the outcome.

The Conservatives get their chance to lead but without the majority needed to pass whatever they want. I don't think the Bloc or the NDP will let them do anything to extreme. The minority keeps the more extreme members of the party quiet (hopefully) because they will want to gain seats next time.

I just hope it can work for a while. I really don't want to go back to the polls anytime soon.

Out here in BC, we kept up the tradition of voting in the strangest manner. The Liberals actually gained a seat here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join