It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Canada Votes 2006

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Well it looks like we are going to have a interesting, yet short lived minority government.
We are going to have a lot of crazy posts on PTS now.

See y'all in 9 months for the next election

I shudder to think of the spring budget failing to pass, it would be my 6th time voting in under 2 years.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It is possible for the conservatives to form temporary alliances to pass their acts. Problem is they seem to be too extreme for most of the rest of the govt. to align with for any length of time. They were saying NDP were willing to work on an issue to issue alliance. So if they don't do anything too far out they may be able to make it work. Some commentators were saying they have to make it work because the voters don't want to visit the polls again, in like you say Umbrax, 9 months

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
To save us the trouble of having to vote again, I think the next election should be decided on which party leader can grow the biggest beard in 6 months

[edit on 23/1/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If it's such a close minority as it seems it will be, I can't see the government lasting very long at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
As expected, metro Toronto stayed Liberal, while Alberta was a 28 seat romp for the Conservatives.

It's odd to think that none of our next cabinet will be from Toronto, while Calgary could have a few ministers.

My money would have to be on Layton for the beard, he's already ahead by a moustache.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
If it's such a close minority as it seems it will be, I can't see the government lasting very long at all.

It really depends on how Layton and Harper are able to work together. Right now the NDP is holding on the Balance of power by 1 seat....

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
OOO intrigue Paul Martin may not conceed tonight-- will he try to form a coalition government with the NDP? Speculation runs rampant....

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I was waiting for that to happen. If there is no majority, the current PM can ask the Governor General to let him try to lead a minority government.

The question is, would she dare?

bad spelling

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkie the Wondersnail
OOO intrigue Paul Martin may not conceed tonight-- will he try to form a coalition government with the NDP? Speculation runs rampant....

Where did you hear that Sparkie?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Just a blurb on the CTV news that they were doing live with a segment from Mike Duffy. He was handed a blackberry that said Paul Martin may not conceed tonight, there was rather brief speculation as to why he would not conceed but they sort of brushed it aside after I typed in the OOOOO comment. They think that he would not be able to hold out for too long and would have to conceed tonight, even if there were enough contested ridings that would make it possible for him to form another government, this one would have to be disolved no matter what. I just thought that the comment was rather spicy, even if it doesn't amount to much.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
They are talking about the precedent set by Mackenzie King in 1925 to form a coalition government after his party came in second. Paul Martin could technically still be PM if the numbers are right and the NDP goes along.

The Governor General has to give the OK for it. Oooh, the Queen suddenly become relevant to our politics.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think a coalition govt. between liberal and NDP would be interesting. Maybe one could keep the other honest, sure would disappoint Harper if it happened. I didn't really know if a coalition government here was possible or legal, I know it happens in other countries with multiple parties. This could become interesting...

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Completely legal and possible. A coalition with the NDP would give them more than the Conservatives and then the Governor General could give permission for Paul Martin to remain PM. It's happened before with Mackenzie King

It didn't last very long but in the resulting election, King took back the majority.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
In minority situations, the incumbent government has the first opportunity to form a coalition, regardless of seats, but they must be able to reasonably prove to the GG that they have the confidence of their partners.

In the event they fail to do so, the option will then go to the Conservatives to form a coalition for a majority.

The precedent is there, but it has never been officially tried (at a federal level) since 1925.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I would be shocked if it happened but it is technically possible.

1925 was also the last time a Governor General refused an incumbent Prime Minister's request.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If the Liberals and the NDP ever did that, just imagine the backlash it would cause.

I can almost picture 500 000 enraged Albertans on horseback with unregistered shotguns descending upon Toronto in the early morning hours.

Seriously though, congratulations to the conservatives on the win, the NDP on their best showing in many years, the greens for being upbeat, and generally to those who cared enough about their country to go out and vote tonight.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
enr.elections.ca...

Literally minute by minute coverage of the election. As of the time of this posting, there is:

Conservative 123
Liberal 104
Bloc Quebecois 50
NDP 30
Independent 1
Green 0
All others 0
(total = 308)

Looks like it's going to be a minority Conservative government. I didn't like any of the political parties this time around, so I ended up spoiling my ballot. (and writing something rather nasty on it, too, which I shall not repeat on ATS, hehe) My hope is that there is a minority government, so that no one party has all the power. I would LOVE to see it so that the winning party requires either the support of the official opposition to pass anything, or else requires the 3rd and 4th place finishers to support them; that way, we might actually get something resembling democracy. Unfortunately, the Bloc have enough seats that this will almost certainly not happen.

My home riding: (likely no one cares, hehe, but oh well
)

Edmonton--Leduc Last updated: 23:51 ET

Conservative James Rajotte 31,352 59.7
Green Party Ben Morrison Pettit 3,356 6.4
Liberal Jim Jacuta 10,398 19.8
N.D.P. Martin Rybiak 7,393 14.1
Total number of valid votes: 52,499

I was hoping to see the Green party get some seats, even though I don't like them very much. I'd like to see the power shared amongst multiple parties; I don't trust any one party to lead right now.

I was kind of hoping that the Liberals would end up winning another minority government; they are the party I hate the least right now, I think. About the only thing I like about the Conservatives is their opposition to gay marriage; everything else in their platform I don't like.

(and I thought I was getting the jump on an ATS posting for the Canadian election... and there's already 40 replies, lol! So much for a free 750 points...)

edit: because I don't know the difference between /ex and ex

[edit on 23-1-2006 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
People in Alberta would lose their minds.

Quebec would probably flip out and demand a referendum on seperation.

Thankfully, it appears that won't happen. Martin's giving his concession speech now.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Martin is stepping down as the liberal leader.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Wow, who will lead the party then?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join