It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Canada Votes 2006

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The first polls in Eastern Canada have now closed. No results will be availible until 10pm EST due to a new ruling blocking results from being published while polls in any part of the country are still open.

www.cbc.ca
The polls have closed in Newfoundland and the Maritimes as Canadians choose a government.

Although results cannot be posted on websites until 10 p.m. ET on Monday, after all ballots are cast across the country, the easternmost polls closed at 8:30 p.m. Newfoundland time (7 p.m. ET).

Polls closed half an hour later in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, most of Labrador and ÎIles de la Madeleine.

Earlier, Liberal Leader Paul Martin voted in Montreal, looking tense as he arrived at a polling station in his Lasalle-Émard riding.

With his wife, Sheila, at his side, Martin said: "I feel great. I feel great."

Polling stations across Canada are open for 12 hours, with closing times varying from region to region.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, election night in Canada is upon us. I know a lot of people will be waiting with bated breath for the results.

People want change but many are not wanting it so much to vote Conservative. However, many are and there are predictions for a Conservative win. Will this hold true? I guess we'll have to wait and see. All I know is that people are sick and tired of the Liberals and there is a lot of opportunity here for other parties (Green, NDP and Conservative) to gain more seats and a Conservative grab at power.

Hopefully the turnout for this election is good. It seems people are motivated by the recent Liberal corruption scandals and looking for change. During the last election in 2004 there were similar predictions for a strong Conservative showing but it never really panned out. This time seems different.

Related News Links:
www.thestar.com
www.bloomberg.com
www.angus-reid.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23-1-2006 by parrhesia]

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Nerdling]

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Nerdling]

[edit on 28-1-2006 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Parrhesia and I will be posting the data as it comes in. With commentary of course.

1hr 8 minutes.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Cool, I love elections

I'll be watching this thread closely, especially if we don't good coverage on the U.S. cable news channels.

Good work guys

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that this is big enough news to get ATSNN coverage

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Voting now closed here in Alberta, just waiting for BC now.

I always hated turning on the TV, and the first results we would see was that it was already decided. Total lack of suspense.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
CBC reports that there are 15 different political parties represented in this election, plus independents.

Now that's diversity.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
On an interesting side note, we have an ATS member that's running in the election.
She's not around here much anymore but I'm watching for her numbers and I am so proud of her for actually doing something.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
On an interesting side note, we have an ATS member that's running in the election.
She's not around here much anymore but I'm watching for her numbers and I am so proud of her for actually doing something.

We do?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Indeed we do. I'm not sure if I should post her member name or not. I wouldn't want to compromise her privacy in any way.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Indeed we do. I'm not sure if I should post her member name or not. I wouldn't want to compromise her privacy in any way.

u2u me

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Results are starting to come in here in Montreal.

I voted a couple of hours ago. My choices were:

Bloc Quebequois;
Liberal;
Conservatives;
New Democratic Party;
Green Party;
4 Independants; and...
Marxist-Lenninist?

So far the results don't signal a sea change but then it's early results in Quebec/Ontario.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The first results in Alberta are now showing. No surprises here yet, although the first station in one riding is showing only one candidate with votes.

Two Alberta ridings currently counting 90% or more to one party.

This may prove to be an interesting night. Folks here are intently watching Stronach's riding, even more so than our own ridings.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ok, these are the first results I've seen:

Conservatives are leading with 87 seats at present

LIBS: 76 seats

NDP: 21

BQ: 31

Others: 1

[edit on 23-1-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Folks here are intently watching Stronach's riding, even more so than our own ridings.

She is leading. I'm kind of surprised.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Folks here are intently watching Stronach's riding, even more so than our own ridings.

She is leading. I'm kind of surprised.

So am I.

Considering what she did last year I'm very surprised!

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
CTV has predicted a Conservative Minority

Projections suggest that the Conservatives will be at least 4 seats short of majority

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I suspect a few Ontario seats will be back and forth for a while, Global is now projecting a Conservative minority government.

PC 99
Lib 83
BQ 42
NDP 21
Other 1

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This is my prediction.

Conservative Party: 115

Liberal Party: 106

Bloc Québécois: 60

New Democratic Party: 25

Other: 2

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
10:09 pm EST

CBC Newsworld calling it a conservative minority government.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It's looking like it's gonna be pretty close form the numbers I'm seeing right now

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join