It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Accept Paycuts as Hollywood Profits dive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Intresting times article on the situation that is happening in Hollywood. How long will the eight figure salries last?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Hollywood plans fewer movies.:

www.variety.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
With computer animation technology advancing as fast as it is at some point will actors even be needed ??? Why pay some guy 10 million, when you can hire a team of computer animators to create the perfect actor for the part for a 1/10th of the cost?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
With computer animation technology advancing as fast as it is at some point will actors even be needed ??? Why pay some guy 10 million, when you can hire a team of computer animators to create the perfect actor for the part for a 1/10th of the cost?

Actors are a dying breed agreed, but Humans will still be needed.

The future of acting is Golum. My preeecccioussssss.

Eventually I see cybernetics being used to tie in Actors into a computer system so that we can seamlessly overlay just about any image on an actors body. RFID implants will be used to track the movements of the actors body, and vocal implants will allow the actor to imitate just about any type of voice without any training whatso ever.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Right, but do you think the current economic system of Hollywood could afford any big blockbusters, any longer, as the article says, the investment is reducing

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I feel the earth shaking .... It's Hillary Clinton and she's
trembling at the thought of the loss of all that Hollyweird
money for her 2008 Presidential campaign.

Seriously ... betchya' the radical left is looking at a
big cut in donations. The left coast movie crowd does
donate a whole bunch to the dems. If that bunch
has less money to play with .. they will cut the dems
donations before they stop their expensive narcisistic
lifestyle habits.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
Right, but do you think the current economic system of Hollywood could afford any big blockbusters, any longer, as the article says, the investment is reducing

Investment may be reduced but the cost of making wideshots via CGI is plummeting as computer technology gets cheaper and better. It's a transition period nothing more.

Flyersfan, is this really the thread to polarize? The thread title isn't "Leftist Politicians accept lower payouts from hollywood due to lower movie profits"

[edit on 24-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Flyersfan, is this really the thread to polarize?

U R Right.
Apologies. Just came off of PTS - politics.
Must have had some clinging to me when I left ....

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well, I hope the celebrities will survive this horrible plague.

I mean just the thought that talented artists like Tara Reid and Paris Hilton won't be making mega-millions anymore is scary...

Perhaps if a good 50% of the "actors" would learn how to act before being signed on to star in films, the industry would do better.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Damn it, and I thought I will have been a Big movie star! making Mega Millions! Now this stuff has to happen!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This doesnt come as a surprise to me. One of the major reasons for not as many people seeing mouvies is the prices. In less than 2 years alone in my city, the price for an "after 6 pm mouvie" went from $5.50 to $7.50!!! The food and drink prices went up alot also. A drink, popcorn and some candy + the ticket for the mouvie can cost over 15 dollars.

Cheaper to just download the mouvie from somewhere...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekarOfTruth
A drink, popcorn and some candy + the ticket for the mouvie can cost over 15 dollars.

Which is why I haven't gone to the movie theater in years. I just wait until the movie is out on DVD, then pay $15 for the DVD! At least that way I get something permanant I can keep for my $15...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekarOfTruth
This doesnt come as a surprise to me. One of the major reasons for not as many people seeing mouvies is the prices. In less than 2 years alone in my city, the price for an "after 6 pm mouvie" went from $5.50 to $7.50!!! The food and drink prices went up alot also. A drink, popcorn and some candy + the ticket for the mouvie can cost over 15 dollars.

Cheaper to just download the mouvie from somewhere...

Not sure where you live but here in NY most movie tickets can go from $10.50 to $11.50 depending on your purchase method. By paying that much for a movie where get the privelege of watching 20 minutes of commercials before the film starts, the privelege of buying a watered down soda for $5, and popcorn with enough salt to cause a heart attack on the spot for another $5.

And they wonder why attendance is down.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Personally, I think that in the future (like 20 years from now, and beyond) that seated movie theaters will become as rare as drive-thru movie theaters are now; in other words, you'll only see the occasional one in big cities, more as novelties than anything else.

Why? Well, by then, home theater centers (with flatscreen widescreen HDTVs and surround sound) will be the standard in homes and apartments, and most people will decide that the $15 DVD (or HD-DVD) is a better deal for the money than the $15 movie theater ticket + snacks...

By that point, most every movie will be a "straight to DVD (or HD-DVD) release" and those release dates will be the big deal then. Oh, and by then piracy of digital content will become a major crime, not just an annoyance!

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
By that point, most every movie will be a "straight to DVD (or HD-DVD) release" and those release dates will be the big deal then. Oh, and by then piracy of digital content will become a major crime, not just an annoyance!

Believe it or not i see this happening. In the past few years my friend s and i have gone from going to the movies every friday for fun and paying $15++ to just staying at someones house with a huge flatscreen and surround sound and ordering movies from blockbuster. It's much more convienant.

I think it's about time actors took some kind of paycut anyways. Other bust themselves just to get by. They can make one movie and go back to their hometown and retire if they want to. Most actors/Sports players salaries are outrageous. I enjoy a good movie, but wow...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Acouple of things thundercloud. DVD's are not permanant, the information starts to become corrupt after 6-8 years. Also i believe that HD-DVD and BlueRay will battle it out for a couple of years with no clear winner, then direct download will win out. HD-DVD will just be used to back up your comp maybe! We could by then be using holographic storage discs.
Direct download makes it much cheaper for the movie makers, since they never have to manufactuer the disc, or the cover. You would just simply sell the information to direct downloading companies, then when the innternet infastructure is in place.
You will porbably be able to download what ever movie you like in 10 mintues, but then again i guess it matters at the amount of the quality increase in the movies aswell.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang
A couple of things Thundercloud. DVD's are not permanant, the information starts to become corrupt after 6-8 years. Also i believe that HD-DVD and BlueRay will battle it out for a couple of years with no clear winner, then direct download will win out...

DVD-R and DVD+R formats - which you can burn yourself - last 6-8 years, due to the way they're manufactured. DVDs like you can buy at the store, however, are made with much higher quality materials, so they should (theoretically) last at least its user's lifetime. While not permanant, I'd say that DVDs should last at least 100 years... which will be permanant enough for me! LOL

(CD-R and CD+R compared to CDs like you can buy at the store has a similar difference in how long they'll last.)

Even if direct download becomes very popular, people are going to want to have their favorite movies, TV shows, documentaries, and sporting events on a physical format of some kind that they can collect, make a library for, etc. Why? It's just human nature. So, I think that there will definitely be HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray Disks in the future as the primary format of choice (but not both).

Downloadable content will not replace disks anymore than the Internet replaced books and magazines. More like supplement them.

top topics

join