It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have MOD buttons...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
Aw poo, it was "working" for me last night--I could see it--and it's been fixed. I always wondered what this place looked like from a mod's point of view--everytime I had ambitions about being a mod, it wasn't for the power, it was because I was curious about how their "version" worked. Definitely cooler than phpBB

How much of that is custom work, and how much of it is "original"?

None of it is original, XMB itself uses operations in a drop down window at the bottom of a thread, so these are all customly made.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
In case another little glitch ever happens again, let me tell you how the ownership has told me, "Don't touch anything without first checking with either one of us, Parhessia or Valhall! We mean it! Get adult supervision!!"

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
In case another little glitch ever happens again, let me tell you how the ownership has told me, "Don't touch anything without first checking with either one of us, Parhessia or Valhall! We mean it! Get adult supervision!!"

I hope Skeptic has made some security checks in the php file, that's a horrible glitch to come pass and could be bad juju for the board.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It is possible that the ATS admin ran a script in certain users accounts that made the "mod buttons" appear. The mouse clicks could be tricky to track without installing spyware on a members PC. Perhaps the images had hidden Hyper links this would be a means of recording the number of number of mouse clicks.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I don't know about PHP's and security checks, but my Fisher Price keyboard and control panel came via UPS today. That should make some feel more at ease.

Edited because of - yes - typos, as usual.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
It is possible that the ATS admin ran a script in certain users accounts that made the "mod buttons" appear. The mouse clicks could be tricky to track without installing spyware on a members PC. Perhaps the images had hidden Hyper links this would be a means of recording the number of number of mouse clicks.

No, because the usernames would have to appear in the script, so when the script would've been ran it'd be something like

if ($username == "somename") [
$modlink = "/cp.php?action=warn";
]

or something...that's a short and easy way. But I doubt it was INTENDED.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
thank you I will now try that shugo. Hmmm who should I frame?....

Just kidding.

In all good seriousness now, I am going to try and go see if I can mod another site. I want the power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06
thank you I will now try that shugo. Hmmm who should I frame?....

Just kidding.

In all good seriousness now, I am going to try and go see if I can mod another site. I want the power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure...if you can upload it to the right directory you go ahead and try while I sit and laugh at you for not knowing howto define the username

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

Sure...if you can upload it to the right directory you go ahead and try while I sit and laugh at you for not knowing howto define the username

I think you may given part of the answer already. The directory may depend on OS and the software being used for web hosting. I think you would be better off waiting to be appointed mod. Like that will ever happen I hear you say.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The reason that the Mod Buttons appeared on the Serpo page was nothing that could have had disastrous consequences.

The buttons were INACTIVE.

The page that was displaying the control panel was a static HTML page, it was not a PHP page. When our good Overlord created the static page to cut down on CPU processing time so new visitors wouldn't go loading up the PHP page, he was logged in with the almighty Super Dictator account, and the mod panel was obviously displayed for him when he did a "Save As HTML" on it.

But rest assured, there is so much security in place around here, I need to take the "coughing" test each time I want to ban someone.

Board was never in danger.

As for the board being XMB, at one point in time it was, but there is probably less than 5% of XMB left to it. It is now our own AboveTop:Board custom implementation.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Board was never in danger.

Good to hear

and as Thomas got full instruction of the buttons after his mishap, things are back at defcon1.Phewwwwwww

Sorry Thomas i did feel for ya at the time,but its still funny.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Hmm, first TC, now SO. I think something contagious related to shiny buttons is going around the upper levels of ATS.
I saw the page and immediately thought "OOOOO!! Buttons!"

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Originally posted by Shugo

I think you may given part of the answer already. The directory may depend on OS and the software being used for web hosting. I think you would be better off waiting to be appointed mod. Like that will ever happen I hear you say.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by xpert11]

No it wouldn't.

If you don't have the ability to get into the servers directory for whatever board or url, you can't upload it to the right one, and even then you'd have to pull down a file and upload a new one, by then you'd probably have someone blocking you.

As for the board being XMB, at one point in time it was, but there is probably less than 5% of XMB left to it. It is now our own AboveTop:Board custom implementation.

Well aware of, but it still used to be, and judging by the question they were asking if it was in standard software, and I doubt the AboveTop is up for sale

[edit on 1-24-2006 by Shugo]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

It was a big red button Thomas, I couldn't resist when I first saw it.
I did only do it once though with no harm intended.
BTW, Didn't Valhall ban herself at one time?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06In all good seriousness now, I am going to try and go see if I can mod another site. I want the power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's severely over-rated I'm afraid- at least if you get it legitimately (maybe it would be more fun if you were just hacking- except for the part where they find you and sue you or have you tarred and feathered or whatever it is that they do to hackers).

Before AnarchyInk became a virtual ghost town (which happened when they ceased to be a top 10 search result for "Anarchy") I was an admin there.

First problem was that even though there were virtually no rules on AI and I was generally pretty forgiving of violations of what few rules we did have, every time I edited out a racial slur out of somebody's post it became a huge dramatic episode. I never checked, but I think there's a decent chance that in 2002-2003 I might have been the #1 Google result for virtually any "yo mama" slam you can think of.

Second problem is that I'm not extremely tech-savvy, so my attempts to create new polls or and other such seemingly simple ideas often resulted in me having to wait until Eeegor woke up (long wait sense he lives in Australia) so that he could fix my mess.

One of the higher ups (either the webmaster or the owner) did one worse though- after a server change he somehow managed to lose like 3 years worth of the poetry and fiction archives, which I think might be what killed the site.

In short- it isn't quite as glorious as it sounds. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in being able to lower the gavel on a trolls when they honestly deserve it, but being second-guessed about it- and occasionally being responsible for some kind of screw up- can be very taxing. Oh... and they don't pay you either.

Personally, if I was going to aspire to a position on ATS- I'd shoot for Conspiracy Master then start buttering up the staff to try and land an appearance on the TV show.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join