It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic Weather Events For Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There have been some historic weather events take place over Europe over the past few days and they continue to take place as I type this. Situated over Poland is a 1050mb high.

How big is that? Look at this conversion table. 1050mb is at the top of the chart.

www.pcwp.com...

At the same time a weather balloon over the Netherlands reported air so cold (-86.8c... coldest ever observed by a balloon over the Netherlands) that it has created a small ozone hole.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The record low temp was recorded at 22km above the surface
Temps in the troposhpere aren't actually that cold at the moment.

I'm more interested in the possibilty of polar stratospheric clouds - the only cloud which occur in the stratosphere. wonder if they'll be visible from the UK?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Furthermore, the Canary Island have been alerted for heavy rainfall. All this weather is really "strange"...

When Moscow was dealing with the worst temperatures of their history, I met a man from Finland. He was planning to travel to his country and told me he had talked with a friend on the phone (his friend lives in the north of Finland). His friend told him they were having - 42º C.
I was shocked as I thought that was only in Russia. He added that, according to his information, Russia was close to the - 50 ºC.

I have been unable to confirm this on meteo websites and news, but this made me think about it. Do you think we are getting informed about the real temperatures they have been facing?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, we are obviously having an unusual year for weather...

but is it a cyclic temporary change, or the global warming/cooling that we have heard about from the US military?

most people dont realize that global warming, means global cooling at other areas... so it is both at once...

E_T

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
I have been unable to confirm this on meteo websites and news, but this made me think about it. Do you think we are getting informed about the real temperatures they have been facing?

That's yesterday morning's numbers... One stormchaser couple hundred kilometers north from here had -42C.

But now it's hot outside. -11C

Here's good page for Europe's temperatures, those are taken from METARs so they definitely qualify as official numbers for meteorological institutes/weather services..
www.vaski.net...

And for results GFS prediction model here's good site:
www.wetterzentrale.de...

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Turkey apparently is getting pounded by bad unusual weather

Reuters - Turkey felt the full force of a brutal weather system sweeping eastern Europe on Monday, with snow and ice pounding cities, towns and villages across the vast country.

In Istanbul the roads are treacherous. City authorities said there were more than 310 crashes before the evening rush-hour even began. Several people have died.

In the east, temperatures dropped to minus 30 Celsius (minus 22 Fahrenheit).

Reuters Video Feed

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Meanwhile we've had a few days pushing 60F (15.6C) recently in New York City...

Strange, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Thank you for the info and links E_T. Really interesting.

Seems that the worse part of this cold front has left Russia. At least, I hope, but it is moving towards the western part of Europe...

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'm sorry for this being off topic, but it still deals with the erratic weather. I know over here, we've had many 40-60 degree days. Very few snow falls and it all melts in a time span of 2-3 days. Even the pocono's (ski resort) up north is heating up. It's definately a far cry from the blizzard that we got in the area 3 years ago. And i heard that even most of china and japan are starting to have very hectic blizzards to. While some parts of japan had the usual snow fall from that area, more and more parts see more and more snowfall.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

We have been above normal for like 31 or 32 days in a row. Looking at the forecast this will remain the case for at least the next 10 days. We are averaging nearly 15 degrees above normal per day for Jan in Indianapolis.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The thing is, this weather is strange compared with......what?

Every year, every season, will be warmer/colder/wetter/drier than the one before. It's just natural variability.

After all, Britain had severe winters in '47 and '63 - far more severe than anything since. Does anyone question the reason for them?

If, however, there is a succession of years or seasons which are consistently warmer/colder/drier/wetter than average, then we can talk about there perhaps being something strange occurring.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   

At the same time a weather balloon over the Netherlands reported air so cold (-86.8c... coldest ever observed by a balloon over the Netherlands) that it has created a small ozone hole.

I wanted to know if there was more information on this ?
The part where really cold air created ozone hole.

C to F convertor

here is a convertor, i didnt know how cold that was (-86C) until
I put it into this convertor , its -122 F.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Strange, isn't it?

Yeah It's been rather warm in Toronto as well, not so today though it's like -10C right now. That 15.6C is looking nice a toasty right about now

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The weather should be pretty nice in westchester!
supposed to get to 50f in a couple days. I have been
taking my smoke breaks in t shirts !

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Just for the record, the weather is really boring in the UK and looks like staying so for the foreseeable future....

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced

I wanted to know if there was more information on this ?
The part where really cold air created ozone hole.

C to F convertor

here is a convertor, i didnt know how cold that was (-86C) until
I put it into this convertor , its -122 F.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by imbalanced]

Here you have some links of interest:
PHysorg
WEbindia
Expatica

Hope this is what you were looking for.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
breaking another record here in PHoenix, AZ
Over 100 days without rain
January and February are supposed to be our wettest months- called the winter rains.
August and September are supposed to be monsoons- we got winter rains in October instead.

The jet stream is really, really, screwed up. it keeps sending our moisture up to washington state and oregon.

And all they can say is it is the el nino effect- when in actuality, they really DON"T KNOW.

But the good thing about it is my arthritis has been very mild with all this DRY WEATHER. Maybe that is why the traffic is so bad- all the snowbirds are here so we can all breathe polluted air while our arthritis goes away.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
Do you think we are getting informed about the real temperatures they have been facing?

Whenever the outside world hears of weather it is usually synoptic weather... or what is happening on then grand scale

mesoscale weather (what exactly the weather was like in Joe Shmoe Hollow at the very beginning of the creek) is almost never reported. For example... a few weeks back a friend was at Lake Tahoe on the ski slopes... the national weather report was showing 50-60 mile an hour gusts. And that is what weather was like in most of Lake Tahoe. Wind gauges at the resort she stayed at showed 140+MPH and they closed the slopes because of white-out blizzard conditions. But that was one particular slope in a large geographic area.

Most mesoscale weather should be close to the synoptic event... however there are of course outliers.

I guess my point is... how exactly is "real" weather defined... Do you want the average 85" F in Atlanta number or the "on the hot pavement, in the full sun... in your black honda" while commuting it is 105" F.

The only true way to know what weather another has been facing is to ask them.

Myself? in the past couple of years I've been through 3 freaky-deaky hurricanes... and 2 weird ice cube storms (large hail) during afternoon microbursts. And right now all of the plants (bananas, elephant ears, etc.) that long since should have met their fate with frost... are still chuggin' along on our heat island. First year I've witnessed that late in January. A lot of talk about how "mild the winter has been". The wind seems to have a higher baseline than in years past.

I believe if one were to take a look at weather patterns from the period 1700-1950, a graph of weather severity would look quite "bell curved"

I believe if we look at weather severity for the past 56 years a "trimodal" bell curve would begin to appear... with a graph of rainfall data showing increase severe droughts and increased severe floods; decreased "normal" data points. Same for temperature. How one would tabulate this data... dunno.

wow... rambling now, gonna let this one go but yeah.... a trimodal distribution is developing... more weather extremes.

Sri Oracle

new topics

top topics

join