It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I challenge you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
To post an actual photo of the earth or the moon taken from space that show stars and other planets in the distance:

Case and Point:

This photo is taken from Mars of the Earth and our Moon, not bad but as you can see there's a ton of data removed and the photo made blurry...

The photo is from Nasa taken here:
mpfwww.jpl.nasa.gov...

Please post the image you find in the thread along with a link to the page that talks about the photo.

Let the games begin.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'm not sure I understand what you getting at???

Are you trying to find a picture with the earth or moon with stars in it?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
you probably won't be able to get an answer to your challenge. The reason is that the magnitude of brightness required to show the moon and planet earth would necessarily keep all the other stars that are not as bright hidden. Its not a conspiracy thing but rather a optical problem. To do what you are suggesting we would have to "burn in" the images of the earth and moon to such an extent that they would be unrecognizable white dots to allow the dim stars in the background to be seen. It is much like looking at the sun during the daytime and wondering why you can't see any stars. I am sure someone else can explain it much better than I can.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
go here.

images.google.ca...
There are several pics taken from the shuttle showing the earth and moon.

Found this one as well. Might have been made using a double exposure. first to capture the moon, then again, blocking out the moon, to capture the stars which would be washed out due to the brightness of the moon.

[edit on 22-1-2006 by sensfan]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What, I believe, promomag is getting at is that in the Moon landing images there are no stars in thr background. Crazies use this idea as proof that we faked the landings, while in every other shot of our Solar System there are no stars either.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Sparkie - We have the technology, it's possible to get these kinds of photos.

Sensfan - Link don't work, want to try again.

Cmdrkeenkid - moon landing was ages ago, I don't care about the moon landing or not, what I care about is good photos showing detail of the earth and the moon with some stars... hell even some nearby planets should be bright enough.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by promomag
what I care about is good photos showing detail of the earth and the moon with some stars... hell even some nearby planets should be bright enough.

Oh, well in that case, Sparkie the Wondersnail would be correct.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The photo you supplied I believe is from the messenger spacecraft on
it's way to Mercury. But there are two problems with this. Magnitude
of brightness of Earth/Moon and the narrow field of vision. The spacecraft
is not all that far from the earth at this point (relatively speaking) and therefore any background stars would not appear because the view is of a very narrow view of space.

Incidently I believe, maybe someone more ambitious then be can produce a picture from the surface of mars, with the earth in view. I believe this was a featured photo from early on in the Mars Rover mission.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Most photographers already know the answer: It's difficult to capture something very bright and something else very dim on the same piece of film -- typical emulsions don't have enough "dynamic range." Astronauts striding across the bright lunar soil in their sunlit spacesuits were literally dazzling. Setting a camera with the proper exposure for a glaring spacesuit would naturally render background stars too faint to see.

Simple thing to do is try this at home with a camera. put in 400 speed film, probly even 200 speed would work. Stand underneath a street lamp at night (preferble where there are no cars) point the camera up at the lamp. and take a picture

I garuntee you unless you overexpose the film, you won't find any stars in the picture, and if you did, you would get mostly glare from the lamp

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHorseChestnut
Incidently I believe, maybe someone more ambitious then be can produce a picture from the surface of mars, with the earth in view. I believe this was a featured photo from early on in the Mars Rover mission.

I love the "You are here."

EDIT: The photo promomag is from the MGS mission as was stated.

[edit on 1/22/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
How about the Hubble Telescope?

Oh, I know ... it can't take pictures of the earth becuase:

hubblesite.org...=78&cat=topten

Wow, but for some VERY STRANG REASON, it took a picture of the moon!

hubblesite.org...

So anyways, if LIGHT is a big issue from the sun, Why don't we try taking pictures from a darker region of the planet?

Not Possible?

Since the Moon (hoax?) subject was brought up, this picture looks like a pretty low light region of the moon when we were there.... wow, look at the quallity of this photo! AMAZING...... But still.... no stars.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Ahh! so the old Moon hoax thing rears it's ugly head again. I thought that was what you were after, or are you under the impression that we as a species have never travelled out of our own atmosphere. (flat Earther?)

Why do you assume that we as humans are so inept as to realize space flight? What is the thrust of your argument?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by promomag
Wow, but for some VERY STRANG REASON, it took a picture of the moon!

Your own link answered that for you.

So anyways, if LIGHT is a big issue from the sun, Why don't we try taking pictures from a darker region of the planet?

I'm a bit confused by that statement. The Hubble Space Telescope is, oddly enough, in space. As for Earth based observatories, they're generally high up on mountain tops and as far away from cities as they possibly can be.

Since the Moon (hoax?) subject was brought up, this picture looks like a pretty low light region of the moon when we were there.... wow, look at the quallity of this photo! AMAZING...... But still.... no stars.

Here, I'll even link these posts for you to save you the trouble of scrolling up.
Sparkie the Wondersnail's explanation
Jehosephat's explanation

[edit on 1/22/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I tell you what, while everyone here tells me this ISN'T possible for some technical reason or another *love the street lamp example btw* I'll let you all scratch your head for a little bit while taking a look at this photo of the moon and STARS for a bit. Not a great photo, seems the SUN is out and shining brightly too:

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If this thread is going to go the way of discussing the Moon Hoax it'll be closed so discussion can continue here: An End to the Moon Conspiracy

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
From my telescope I have seen the same thing with my 16" aperature.
But my light gathering far exceeds that of the Messenger mission which is not designed to take views of space like that. Those instruments on messenger, cassini, and the likes are not telescopes, but rather camera's with very limited aperatures intended only to gather light from a rather close object. Apples and Oranges you might say.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Why is this a moon hoax thing now? I have a very simple challenge for someone to give me photos of the earth and the moon with some stars and it becomes a moon hoax thing.

Either nobody can meet the challenge *which I've clearly done* while most of you all respond that it's technically impossible.

C'mon, Stars, Earth, Moon.... no hoax... surely there HAS to be a better quallity photo than what I've shared with you all just to PROVE that it's possible.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well if you can do that from your telescope, share the pictures! or Show me some that someone else has taken...

That's my only challenge.... show me the pictures!

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I can show you photos of Stars with the moon but not with the earth (as I have never taken my telescope off this planet!). But, the photos from our spacecraft are not designed for this activity, as scientists are more interested in the targets these spacecraft are going to!

[edit on 22-1-2006 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Jeez people, you make it sound like this is IMPOSSIBLE, why?

Here, I'll throw more bones.... better quallity photo too...

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The challenge still stands as you all continue to tell me and anyone that reads this.... IT'S TECHNICALY IMPOSSIBLE?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join