It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell was that

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I just want to let it be known that I did NOTHING with the admin panel today, or for several days, for that matter!

Of course not TC, we believe you.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
quite alot in "cycles"... As we grew over the past three years we noticed that every so often, a series of very disturbed and obviously BORED people who need a life attempt to hack into our servers or admin panels...

THAT is a sure sign to me that somone needs a life!

Springer...

You are being nice to those Internet Terrorists.
I don't post much, but I am here daily. Miss a day and I feel uninformed. Sure hope all gets resolved favorably.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I didnt witness it but dude that really sucks. Why would someone attack our peaceful board? but im a pirate so it works out

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
*twitch*

They tried to take away my happy place...... I was going through withdrawals... I had to put my calming music on.

*deep breath*
*twitch*

Go get 'em SO!

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There was a three-prong attack of some type.
A DDoS attack (handled by our provider's automated detection system, but there was a brief outage)
A SYN Flood (handled by our server's firewall)
And an overwhelming auotmated log-in script (also handled by our server's firewall)

There contrinues to be attacks (several per second) but our kung fu is strong.

The provider of the attacking server (it is a server, not a hijacked personal computer) has been notified and an investigation has been initiated.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The provider of the attacking server (it is a server, not a hijacked personal computer) has been notified and an investigation has been initiated.

Hopefully we are kept updated SO. Thank you for being so candid with us

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Everyone who ran all virus checks and system checks in reflex like a paranoid fool raise your hand..

just me.. huh..

whatever it was obviously did nothing significant so they are quite obviously weak at causing disruption... and why choose a Sunday, not exactly peak time..

from now on, I will refer to this person as "special Ed"

[edit on 22/1/06 by Klepto]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Skeptic, do you want me to use my magic mojo powers to burnify them and like then use my psychokinetic powers to make their heads pop?

I'll do it for free.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Gosh, it all sounds pretty serious. Can we know more as news become available?

Now, there is a solution for the ATS DT's I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think ATSchat is on a seperate server since I have just gone there when the board/world goes awry, and it is usually still up.

So pop this link into your favorites, the usual residents will be there to help you through it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1/22/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is terrible.

Sad truth is, that it was probably some 12 year old punk sitting in his basement.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If ATS goes down I'm offering counselling in the chat room till rather late tonight.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No, I don't think it was a twelve year old. Unfortunately, SO probably won't tell us who it was, or where they're located, for fear of lone wolf members seeking retribution in kind.

SO is smart like that.

I have a couple of guesses as to who perpetrated the dirty deed. There is that recent, ongoing drama with SotT and the other involving the DIA and that SERPO shenanigan...

While I'd love to know..there's a lot of sense in keeping that information out of circulation. It tends to exacerbate problems, in my experience. Anyway, I'm glad things are back to normal.

Luckily for ATS members, the ATS team employs only the finest ninjas!

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

There was a three-prong attack of some type.
A DDoS attack (handled by our provider's automated detection system, but there was a brief outage)
A SYN Flood (handled by our server's firewall)
And an overwhelming auotmated log-in script (also handled by our server's firewall)

A friend of mine told me her favorite site experienced a recent DDoS attack (about a week ago), and it really crippled them. I doubt they were as well prepared to fight it and filter out the garbage as this site, though. She said it hasn't been quite the same since.

Great job keeping it as stable as you have so far, SO.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I was one of the people WAGD asked
Or at least I think I was :p. Strange indeed, but we have some of the best in securit here, IMHO. A lot better equipped to deal with this kind of thing than many other sites.

Thanks SO, for fighting this off and for keeping us updated.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It just happened for a minuit again.

Reading SO's post mad me feel good inside.

Im sure he can handle it.(Whew)

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
So no one on this thread (very suprised) said the words, "government" "conspiracy" or "aliens" yet? Wow. I thought someone would suspect them of doing this.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I think its government related.

Thank you SO, for taking care of our little community.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06
So no one on this thread (very suprised) said the words, "government" "conspiracy" or "aliens" yet? Wow. I thought someone would suspect them of doing this.

Ha!! You read my mind!!

And finding this thread just after reading the thread about the feds going after Google: www.abovetopsecret.com...
....I really did think of that!! Could it be connected??

Great job SO (and all) !! Sic 'em tiger(s)!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join