It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trillion dollar man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Alright guys. I'm sorry to do this, but I'm about to go off half cocked.

The gross examples of poor spending practices by GWB, the 'Leader of the Free World' has left us with a staggering projected year end deficit of over one trillion dollars. I recently had a discussion about this with my mother, a feirce republican, and she remained adamant that the trillion dollars would reappear, in the form of international business. Unfortunately, that's just not true. Because the bulk of this money goes to fund government contracts in the rebuilding of Iraq, and we all know about Dick Cheney's duplicity regarding the awarding of contracts, the US, and more specifically my generation (the ones most likely to suffer the loss) will most likely see a return of around 10-20%. That means that we will have a dent in the economic prosperity of this country that equals about 15% of the total national debt, just from the deficit of the fiscal year 2003.

Here's how I figured that...If a company recieves a contract, they are most likely already an international business. Therefore, not even half of the money will return to domestic markets, as most companies farm the bulk of their work from poorer countries.

Furthermore, with thte way that these contracts are being awarded, the money goes to the rich big-wallet republicans that try to skate through without spending a dime of their own. It's sickening really, how little of that 1 trillion we'll ever see again.

It really steams me that the people that this will affect the most had absolutely no say in what went on. I'm sure that my little brother and sister would have had something to say, Had I been able to explain to them that the economy they inherit will be #. Maybe the current regime has yet to realize this, but money is real. It's not something you can just move around in massive amounts without repercussion.

Well, i think I've said my peice on this subject. If you have a rebuttal, or anything like it, feel free. No flaming please. I don't appreciate that. Plus, I'm the God of Mischeif, and Lord of Fire. You do the math.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Noone has anything to say? That makes me sad...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I think everyone's just as disgusted as you, well the libs are anyways. The reps out there just treat this issue like its their illegitimate child and turn the other way. besides, you did a good job summing up an issue that needed some clarification as to its importance, at least for me

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I really appreciate that, Insite. I'm glad I could clear it up. I just hope that all my info is correct. As far as I know it is...

I just hope that everyone can just forgive their parents' political decisions. I can't even begin to fathom what the debt situation would look like in 2008 if Bush goes another four. I may as well start digging a hole in my back yard, and making a bunker. If things don't do a one eighty, I'm seeing depression in the next 10-15 years, if we don't have WWIII by then...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
On subject: please research my threads - I've been painted as being opposed to the Reincarnation of the Robber Barons as a visceral knee jerk-er. But, my angle and retort has always been "Do The MAth!!"
It's failed econmoic theory being revisited and the sheep of that party stripe always fall in line because they don't account for the theory only being good on paper or in a vacum where real world variables don't apply.
research & read Paul Krugman on the true story that is the clusterfuk of this faith based economic mismanagement.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Krugman, huh? I don't really mesh with his Ideas on economics.

Find and read this article, 'Krugman the Keynesian' By William L. Anderson. It's pretty well done, and explains how that austro-economic school of thought krugman uses to talk about economics is flawed.

As for the effects of externalities on the current economic theory, I agree wholeheartedly. It's true that our government today is a model of inefficiency.

to close out, I'd like to say that krugman isn't an idiot, and he'll most likely win awards, but I can talk about Microeconomics almost as well as he can. And I'm of the belief that in order to be a good economist, one should have a very good understanding of microeconomics.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Both sides find ways to funnel money to their loyalists.

The real issue is could he money have been spent in better ways? Sometimes that is not such an easy question to answer.

For example going into Iraq does mostly benefit people connected to the republican party but the US controlling Iraq is for the benefit of the country for many reasons.

It is different than pumping it back into goverment services which doesn't deal with global issues and where much of the money ends up as union wages. Certainly good would be achieved by spending such a sum but it depends on how it is used. The left can waste money quite as well as the right can.

For me it is a simple issue, what do you have to do to keep yourself where you are? That is the issue.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This isn't a lib/conservative battle. It's merely a thread hopefully doing a good job of exposing government irresposibility regarding money. I could care less if you're an ultra conservative who believes in slavery. You can't deny the fact that the US will never see a significant amount of that trillion dollars again. ever. It'll just get thrown on the stack of debt, which is at what, 8 trillion or so?

Anyhow. I think that looking at it like Im a liberal bashing on conservatives is a bad way to go about it. I'm just expressing my concern. and frustration. Peace.

new topics

top topics

join