It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Bush Fires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Just a bit of information on some fires going though Southern Australia. They have burnt something like 70.000 Ha all up, or more. No one has died yet, I dont think, but it went through a few towns. I havent heard any thing else.

www.abc.net.au
Firefighters in Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania are battling to keep bushfires from homes amid extremely high temperatures and windy conditions.

Western Australian fire crews are also battling a large blaze.

Several regional towns in Victoria remain under threat from large bushfires burning across the state.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) says aerial reports suggest two homes have been lost at Anakie near Geelong in the south-west.

Firefighters are already working to save homes in that area and are warning people living east and west of Anakie to prepare to be under threat.

The Moondarra fire in Gippsland, which has burnt out more than 4,000 hectares, is approaching the towns of Yallourn North and Tyers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There isn't really a lot of info on the net for the fires yet. Today's temperature was up to 44 at my house, or 130 or something in F. There was a strong northerly wind that swung around to a south-westerly in the after noon. This has caused the fires to break containment lines, and burn out of control. Wind gusts of up to 100 kmh are expected.

[edit on 1-22-2006 by Valhall]

[edit on 27-1-2006 by asala]

[edit on 27-1-2006 by asala]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just a clarification. 44 celsius = 111.2 fahrenheit.

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well we're more than an hours drive from the nearest fire and the whole house smells on smoke.

Twenty odd years ago we were over 2 hours away and still couldn't see across the yard for the smoke but this time the wind is blowing it away from us but the smell has still traveled.

We've got some more 40+degree days predicted for the next few days so things could yet get alot worse.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
That is bad news! I am sorry to read that.

Is somone of the ATS-family affected because of this huge fire?
I hope nobody has to evacuate!

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I can think of two possibly three Mayet (no problem there; with all her kids they could stomp the fire out)

Subz (also no problem his hollow legs are so full of beer so he can p it out) and possibly Net Chicken (He could probably lay a few eggs and get it out)

I am sure they will chime in and let us know and I truly hope they all are safe, just thought we needed a little humor is all.

[edit on 1/22/2006 by shots]

top topics

join