It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the Odds of Two Albinos in a Family?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Source of pictures not aware of.

I have been googling what the odds are and the math is too much for me.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Johnny and Edgar Winters

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I know of a brother and sister that are albinos. There may be something in the genes that causes it.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
I know of a brother and sister that are albinos. There may be something in the genes that causes it.

That is probably correct, but it seemed odd to me when the parents are so dark..thanks

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Albinoism is caused by a recesseive gene so it lays dormant until it is paired with another - it is only when two parents who both have the recessive gene get together that an albino child is born.
My sister has two albino children one boy, one girl. They also have a son who is not affected, but is of course a carrier of the recessive gene.
After the birth of her first albino child she was told by doctors that the chances of having another albino were approximately one in four. The risk is higher if the child is a boy.
Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

After the birth of her first albino child she was told by doctors that the chances of having another albino were approximately one in four. The risk is higher if the child is a boy.

I admire the Winter brothers so much, being so talented.Thanks for the information.
Does this mean you may have the recessive gene too?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
As someone said, extremely high if the parents both carry the gene for albinism. It occurs in all races, though in some rural areas, the child may be seen as either "magical" or "cursed." If the child is seen as cursed, they may be killed.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have an Albino friend. His parents are dark as the night. But growing up with him he well that I know of he never recieved any taunting or anything like that cause of it. Just another one of the guys

thats horrid to kill someone cause their albino... 1pt for irrational beliefs

ps: my friend chris doesnt have the pink eyes/ white hair though

but he's whiter than me and I r cockyasian

[edit on 22-1-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
As someone said, extremely high if the parents both carry the gene for albinism. It occurs in all races, though in some rural areas, the child may be seen as either "magical" or "cursed." If the child is seen as cursed, they may be killed.

I remembered the movie God's Little Acre where Michael Landon played the albino and they used him as a diviner, as to them he had majical powers.
Was not aware they were killed..as cursed.
I would love to have one myself

As a long-time Winter fan, I believe both of them have the pink-colorless eyes which prohibits much sunlight?
Johnny did a song for Bob Dylan's 30th, I think it was and the genius still has his playing down better than ever.

top topics

join