It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus have abandonment issues?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
According to the gospels, Jesus had no biological father. Mary was in effect, artificially inseminated by 'Our Father who art in heaven.'

So my question is this;

Was Jesus simply a man who never knew his biological father and therefore 'created' a father out of 'the world?'

Did he simply turn to Judaism because he was never told about his father and Judaism is based on a male God?

Matthew 16:17 - Worldwide English NT
Jesus answered, `Simon, Jonah's son, God has blessed you. No person on earth has showed you this. But my Father in heaven has showed you.

If Jesus was God on earth, then why did he say that 'no person on earth has showed you this?' He was giving glory to his father.

Matthew 19:16-17 - Worldwide English NT
A man came to Jesus and said, `Teacher, what good thing must I do so that I will live for ever?'
Jesus said, `Why do you ask me about what is good? Only God is good. If you want to live for ever, you must keep God's laws.'

If Jesus was God and he was sinless, then why doesn't he consider himself good?

Perhaps Jesus simply adopted Jewish Law because he wanted a righteous father figure...

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_the_byron
Was Jesus simply a man who never knew his biological father and therefore 'created' a father out of 'the world?'

John 6:38
For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

6:39
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

6:41
The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.

6:42
And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

6:43
Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.

6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

6:45
It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

6:46
Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

6:47
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

No, He did not "create" a father out of the world. There is a distinction between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, yet they are one God.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

περι δε την εννατην ωραν ανεβοησεν ο ιησους φωνη μεγαλη λεγων ηλι ηλι λαμα σαβαχθανι τουτ εστιν θεε μου θεε μου ινατι με εγκατελιπες/

About three o'clock, Jesus called out loud, `Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?' That means, `My God, my God, why have you left me alone?'

Matthew 27:46

Why does God need to ask himself a question?

Unless he was human and didn't know the answer.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Jewish Humor............... i love it

lmao

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Jesus was reciting from Psalm 22, which if you take the time to read, mirrors much of the trials of Jesus' life and death. Much has been made here of Jesus' divinity, but one must not forget that Jesus was fully human and had to face and overcome all of he doubt, weakness and fear that all humans face.

It should also be noted that one of the lessons of Jesus' life was that we should all have a personal, ongoing relationship and dialog with God the Father, just a Jesus, both human and God the Son, had with God the Father.

Matt.27

[46] And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

www.hti.umich.edu

Pss.22

[1] My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
[2] O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.
[3] But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
[4] Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
[5] They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
[6] But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
[7] All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head saying,
[8] He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
[9] But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.
[10] I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.
[11] Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
[12] Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
[13] They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
[14] I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
[15] My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
[16] For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
[17] I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
[18] They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
[19] But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
[20] Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
[21] Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
[22] I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
[23] Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
[24] For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
[25] My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
[26] The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
[27] All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
[28] For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.
[29] All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
[30] A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
[31] They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

[Note: The KJV is in the public domain.]

www.hti.umich.edu

Shortly after one o'clock, amidst the increasing darkness of the fierce sandstorm, Jesus began to fail in human consciousness. His last words of mercy, forgiveness, and admonition had been spoken. His last wish--concerning the care of his mother--had been expressed. During this hour of approaching death the human mind of Jesus resorted to the repetition of many passages in the Hebrew scriptures, particularly the Psalms. The last conscious thought of the human Jesus was concerned with the repetition in his mind of a portion of the Book of Psalms now known as the twentieth, twenty-first, and twenty-second Psalms. While his lips would often move, he was too weak to utter the words as these passages, which he so well knew by heart, would pass through his mind. Only a few times did those standing by catch some utterance, such as, "I know the Lord will save his anointed," "Your hand shall find out all my enemies," and "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Jesus did not for one moment entertain the slightest doubt that he had lived in accordance with the Father's will; and he never doubted that he was now laying down his life in the flesh in accordance with his Father's will. He did not feel that the Father had forsaken him; he was merely reciting in his vanishing consciousness many Scriptures, among them this twenty-second Psalm, which begins with "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" And this happened to be one of the three passages which were spoken with sufficient clearness to be heard by those standing by.

www.urantia.org

[edit on 2006/1/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

He was/is 100% Man and 100% God at the same time. You keep forgetting while the Father, Son and Holy Spirit all three are God, there is a distinction between them. When He cried out at that moment, He was seperated from God the Father and all the sins of mankind were placed upon Him. He had never ever been seperated from Him before, but at that moment He was. Why, because sin placed upon Him and a seperation occurred because of it because the Father can have no association with sin. Jesus is God but He was seperated from God. Think about that for awhile. It is possible to dwell on that, yet it is also hard for us to understand fully what that, means since we are a somewhat finite being talking about and trying to understand an infinite being.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There's a simple answer to that question guys (I made the same question to a Pastor when I first became a Christian). The reason is that Jesus Christ physically and spiritually DIED for all men for that moment. That moment was worse than the crown of thorns, worse than all the torture he had to endure, worse than the crucifixion itself since the Holy spirit and his eternal connection to the Father (He and the father are one, but distinct at the same time- the mystery of the trinity as we all know) was SEVERED for a split second. He died SPIRITUALLY as well as physically. That split second was the worse pain he could EVER endure (and why he called for his Father who did indeed leave him for a split second- the neccesary price of atonement for humanity). That's why he called out- it wasn't really a question, only the horrible pain and sadness of being seperated from God which he had to endure in his final moment.

[edit on 21-1-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So God's spirit was crushed by man?

At least it arose once more I suppose.

I feel for Jesus.

His spirit was too rich for this earth, so it had to be crushed?

Who thinks the battle of Marathon was between the Persians and the Romans?

A lot of people I know do, whereas I was always told it was between the Persians and Greeks.

Who's being honest? I guess we need a time machine.

Molwn Lave
- Miltiades.

This is before Jesus btw, but we all know the Romans formed their own Empire stealing/borrowing from the every Empire that came before...

Let's ask the pope.

He loves us enough to tell us all the truth right?

One version, but this is about Jesus.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
NO. It was pre-ordained. The culmination of a plan developed aeons ago in time. He knew from day 1 he was going to die for his creation.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Did Jesus have abandonment issues.....?

I love to see the marriage of generation-old dogma with modern pop psychology.........I'm not sure if the pun is intended..

Without getting into a huge rhetorical expression on the validity of the bible as an actual historical document...how can one ascertain the psychological issues of a man who has been absent from this plane for millenia....with only third party accounts that are most certainly inflected with bias of varying intensity?

That is provided that a man named Jesus did indeed exist and isn't a collabortive creation who acts as a symbolic represention of what we should all aspire to........//

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Did Jesus have abandonment issues.....?

I love to see the marriage of generation-old dogma with modern pop psychology.........I'm not sure if the pun is intended..

Without getting into a huge rhetorical expression on the validity of the bible as an actual historical document...how can one ascertain the psychological issues of a man who has been absent from this plane for millenia....with only third party accounts that are most certainly inflected with bias of varying intensity?

That is provided that a man named Jesus did indeed exist and isn't a collabortive creation who acts as a symbolic represention of what we should all aspire to........//

The pun was certainly intended, or created if you like
. But so far, I have seen no hate and no venom, all I have seen is a circle and a force that pulls us to the centre of that circle that we often try to fight or discuss out of existence.

I don't think Jesus had abandonment issues, but it's so hard to feel his joy when all we have is negative examples to follow.

I think everyone should aim to lead by good example and maybe just maybe, we won't need fear of death looming over us to keep us 'in line.'

I'm not on anyone's side, unfortunately for me, all I'll ever be on this earth is an outsider looking in, or an insider looking out.

What I have learnt though is that Jesus loved. You can't quantify that.

top topics

join