It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brilliant books by Haruki Murakami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Hey there, the last weeks and months I read a few books of Haruki Murakami, a japanese author.

Why I read books of him? Well its coincidence...Once upon a time I bought the book "Afterdark" for my girlfriend. I just read the summary at the cover.

Haruki Murakami

In 1987, when Norwegian Wood was first published in Japan, it promptly sold more than 4 million copies and transformed Haruki Murakami into a pop-culture icon. The horrified author fled his native land for Europe and the United States, returning only in 1995, by which time the celebrity spotlight had found some fresher targets. And now he's finally authorized a translation for the English-speaking audience, turning to the estimable Jay Rubin, who did a fine job with his big-canvas production The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Readers of Murakami's later work will discover an affecting if atypical novel, and while the author himself has denied the book's autobiographical import--"If I had simply written the literal truth of my own life, the novel would have been no more than fifteen pages long"--it's hard not to read as at least a partial portrait of the artist as a young man.

amazon.com

Norwegian Wood is a simple coming-of-age tale, primarily set in 1969-70, when the author was attending university. The political upheavals and student strikes of the period form the novel's backdrop. But the focus here is the young Watanabe's love affairs, and the pain and pleasure and attendant losses of growing up. The collapse of a romance (and this is one among many!) leaves him in a metaphysical shambles

amazon.com

I would start with "Norwegian Wood" then "Dance, Dance, Dance" ...Currently reading "Kafka on the shore" but this is a totally different book..Every book is different, thats why I read four books of him. So please read and enjoy!

yours

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Did someone read a book of him so far? I am just wondering, because they become very famous these days in Germany. If I remember correctly, Haruki Murakami lived for a few years in the United States. When he becomes famous, he moved back to Japan.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
from Wild sheep chase book by Murakami..

The moment he touch her hair and beg to see her ear...

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
yes i read that book too. i love these kind of comments which reveal the sense of erotic of Murakami.

top topics

join