It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a Man of Scienceor a Man of Faith?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well hi I am new here and don't know if this belongs here. This will probably be me only post because don't really post on forums freqeuntly. However I enjoy reading your disccusions and I find them intresting. Now if any of you are a fan of the TV show LOST which this thread has nothing to do about you will understand where I got this subject from. As I said I enjoy your discussions here and find many of the things here intresting. None of these scare me because I do not fear death and some a farfetched and hard to beileve. Anyway I noticed many of the discussions here have been about this "Alien Invasion" and "Our Doom" and other things having to do with astroids or aliens or something else. (I think I even saw chickens before
?) This has brougt me to ask this question. Are you a person of Science or a person of Faith. I am a Christian, Catholic to be exact. I beileve not in these endings but the one proclaimed in the bible. The tribulation the rapture and so on. Many of you I see talk of theese ending of invasion and conclude that christ has no meaning in your life. Which draws me to beileve that this is part of the ending in the bible. More people are turning from christ which I think is the wrong way to go. Now don't get me wrong I beileve in aleins. I don't beileve in the "Take me to your leader." sort of but I do beileve there is somthing out there. Wether they visit our Earth or not I don't know. I beileve they are inteigent beings with sophisticated technology. However I beileve that there is a qaulity to them that draws a line in front of human and keeps them in animals catogory. Not neccesarily animals but mammals or primates if you prefer. If you have seen the Jurassic Park films you will see that the veloci raptor was severly inteligent. There is evidence that is also stated in the third film that if it had not been for their extinction they would be the dominate species over this earth instead of man. Back to topic I have had a UFO encounter before. A large triangle ship looked sort of like a Star Destroyer from Star Wars. Some talk of their telepathic abilities. It is fact that the human mind cannot be cracked if it choses not to. Many are to weak to fight but some have sat in front of the strongest phycics and their minds could not be read. My frined who has moved and we talk by Email has had an encounter with an Alein. However he was not abducted. He claims the alein tried to force him by useing way of telepathy but failed. Somehow my friend locked his mind. The aliens looked curiously at him and my friend told them he would appreciate it if they left. They tried once more and he stared them down right in the eyes. They became confused an began to speak in there native laungauge. They did not become angry. They continued to look at my friend. He said once more I would like you to leave and don't come back. He said don't come back with force. He said he saw there eyes and face slowly become tinted with fear and they backed away and left. This encounter was over 2 years ago and my friend has not had at least a UFO isghting since. He remebers this night as if he is getting HD in his head. You may choose to beileve it or not but it is true. I told this story because I beileve we are the most sophisticated being of this universe. I beileve in god strongly and beileve the end will come as proclaimed by the ways of the bible. Which leads me that there are some in which the aliens fear and know they cannot control. I don't beileve they will invade and I see no reason why they should. This Earth is not the best place now. I posted this thread to test your juedgement. Are you a man of Science or a man of faith. I am glad you took time to read my post and I hope you enjoyed it. I will continue to read your discussions hear because I find the intresting and amuseing. SOrry for any misspeelings and typos I am not the best typer. Some of you who look for the day to come, try not to live in fear and let it ruin you. Life is a gift and is not to be wasted. I know from experinces through Hurricane Katrina which would be a whole different story in it's own. Anyway this is probably the last you will hear from me possibley unless something catches my atteion. Uhh football fans I hope you enjoy the superbowl! Everyone have a good year be safe and live a good life.
Take care.

Film: Imagination turned to Realtiy.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Here's a little posting tip.
If you break up your posting in a series of paragraphs, people will be able to read it without using a piece of paper as a straight rule to stay on the right line. This will make it much easier to read, and more people will be likely to read your thoughts.

Class dismissed. Everyone leave apples on my desk, sans razorblades.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Umm I read the first few paragraphs before it got to much to try and read anymore.

But to answer the question asked in the thread title, That is a rather difficult thing to answer, I do not believe in creation or a beginning god, but I believe in existance after death, yet I live my life trusting science most of all, but I have faith that my own personal theories about existance after death (that are routed in science).

But if I had to choose between the two, I'd have to say I'm a man of science.

Two suggestions,
1. As TC stated, break up your post into chunks.
2. Use the word person instead of man, since saying man only, could be considered sexist.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Firstly, I don't see why we I have to choose between one or the other as if they are mutually exclusive.

To answer your question, if I had to make a choice I would say that I am a man of faith as there are far too many things that science chooses to ignore. Also despite my answer, I do not believe in the Bible or religion. I believe in God independantly.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
"Firstly, I don't see why we I have to choose between one or the other as if they are mutually exclusive." == mytym

Well said, mytym. The problem is with the question.

Lets say a man of science boards a plane.

A man of God also boards the plane.

They BOTH believe they are going to arrive at their destination. They BOTH have faith that they are going to get there.
The man of science would argue that the crews are well trained, and the safety of the airline and aircraft in question means
the chances he will not arrive are very small, worth the slight risk. The man of God would argue that he is doing the will of God,
and his future is in Gods hands, thus there is no risk.

They both have shown equal faith, belief. The difference comes from the focus of that faith.

The plane crashes. I think the man of science would say his faith has dissappointed him.

The man of God would simply say he arrived as God planned.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
um i am a follower of god, but that doesnt mean that i cant like science as well

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm a man of science however I believe that we are our own gods (if you understand me) and control our lives and will go to the place that we consider to be heaven (or whatever you can call it) when we die.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well reading your replies I see that many of you had difficulty reading. I am deeply sorry even I can't read it! I reposted it to help some you to read better.

Well hi I am new here and don't know if this belongs here. This will probably be me only post because don't really post on forums freqeuntly. However I enjoy reading your disccusions and I find them intresting.

Now if any of you are a fan of the TV show LOST which this thread has nothing to do about you will understand where I got this subject from. As I said I enjoy your discussions here and find many of the things here intresting.

None of these scare me because I do not fear death and some a farfetched and hard to beileve. Anyway I noticed many of the discussions here have been about this "Alien Invasion" and "Our Doom" and other things having to do with astroids or aliens or something else. (I think I even saw chickens before ?) This has brougt me to ask this question. Are you a person of Science or a person of Faith.

I am a Christian, Catholic to be exact. I beileve not in these endings but the one proclaimed in the bible. The tribulation the rapture and so on. Many of you I see talk of theese ending of invasion and conclude that christ has no meaning in your life.

Which draws me to beileve that this is part of the ending in the bible. More people are turning from christ which I think is the wrong way to go. Now don't get me wrong I beileve in aleins. I don't beileve in the "Take me to your leader." sort of but I do beileve there is somthing out there.

Wether they visit our Earth or not I don't know. I beileve they are inteigent beings with sophisticated technology. However I beileve that there is a qaulity to them that draws a line in front of human and keeps them in animals catogory.

Not neccesarily animals but mammals or primates if you prefer. If you have seen the Jurassic Park films you will see that the veloci raptor was severly inteligent. There is evidence that is also stated in the third film that if it had not been for their extinction they would be the dominate species over this earth instead of man.

Back to topic I have had a UFO encounter before. A large triangle ship looked sort of like a Star Destroyer from Star Wars. Some talk of their telepathic abilities. It is fact that the human mind cannot be cracked if it choses not to. Many are to weak to fight but some have sat in front of the strongest phycics and their minds could not be read. My frined who has moved and we talk by Email has had an encounter with an Alein. However he was not abducted.

He claims the alein tried to force him by useing way of telepathy but failed. Somehow my friend locked his mind. The aliens looked curiously at him and my friend told them he would appreciate it if they left. They tried once more and he stared them down right in the eyes. They became confused an began to speak in there native laungauge. They did not become angry. They continued to look at my friend. He said once more I would like you to leave and don't come back.

He said don't come back with force. He said he saw there eyes and face slowly become tinted with fear and they backed away and left. This encounter was over 2 years ago and my friend has not had at least a UFO isghting since. He remebers this night as if he is getting HD in his head. You may choose to beileve it or not but it is true.

I told this story because I beileve we are the most sophisticated being of this universe. I beileve in god strongly and beileve the end will come as proclaimed by the ways of the bible. Which leads me that there are some in which the aliens fear and know they cannot control.

I don't beileve they will invade and I see no reason why they should. This Earth is not the best place now. I posted this thread to test your juedgement. Are you a man of Science or a man of faith. I am glad you took time to read my post and I hope you enjoyed it.

I will continue to read your discussions hear because I find the intresting and amuseing. SOrry for any misspeelings and typos I am not the best typer. Some of you who look for the day to come, try not to live in fear and let it ruin you.

Life is a gift and is not to be wasted. I know from experinces through Hurricane Katrina which would be a whole different story in it's own. Anyway this is probably the last you will hear from me possibley unless something catches my atteion.

Uhh football fans I hope you enjoy the superbowl! Everyone have a good year be safe and live a good life.
Take care.

Film: Imagination turned to Realtiy.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Alsi after reading several of your post again I noticed I do need to clarify myself in the qeustion. I wanted to know do you beileve everything happens for a purpose a reason and it's apart of a plan of God. Or do you beileve everything happens because it just happens. It happens becasue we made it happen. Paticuraly speaking in diasaters.

Do you beileve that things happen because of resons of science or it is Gods will?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I opened this up recognising the reference to LOST (look at my sig!)

You can't just classify people as believing in one or t'other. I personally believe in fate so you could say I have faith. But I also look for scientific explanations for things.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hey guys dont post often or read here much these days (Life is hetic) but i love a science religion question lol.

I believe we make our own future our own paths...there is no real set out life for myself its just my luck that i pick the right decisions if they are...(Cant tell lol since i dont know how the other one would of turned out).

I believe that if we fall in the steps that a god has set for us then we are no better than the computer that we program to do a certain application.

I did bother to read the whole of the first post lol bit cross eyed now but got there. I have a question for you jawaking.
I just wondered why you think we are the highest creation that "God" could of made? I wounder why you think we have the right to be the greatest?

Another race of beings could have a bible and say they are the best when all it is about is technological advancement surerly not through self greatness and an over grown ego? That just my thought.

I am a follower of science and never followed religion at all although I have read some of the stuff and done it in school but it never caught my imagination...and would rather believe in my self than in someone that needs to have his followers technically have fear and faith to gain entrance to heaven.

Sorry if i miss understood your post or offended you. I am a person that think all should do what they believe in and dont believe in forcing ones thoughts onto another.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I am a Woman of Science.

Sometimes though I envy people of faith. It must be nice to forget for a while that we are just random products of infinite time.

Good news is that there must have other sparks...the only question is where.

Apocalypta

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Wow intresting theroy there. First of all I don't know who you have talked to but I don't fear God. We should respect him but God is love and we should not fear him.

As to your question directed to me I am a person of faith. Therefore I beileve God created all things equal. I beileve in the story of creation all of thoose pretaining of the Bible. I beileve that we are the choosen race that god picked us. I beileve he made aleins who might have more of an advancement in technology but not in spirit. I beileve that God gave us a speacil gift that only we can have.

The power of choice. The power of the holy spirit inside of us. We have things I beileve that only we have. Don't get me wrong I beileve the aliens are intellegent but I don't beileve they are greater than us. More powerful. We have things they could never have.

Also sorry for my first post I hope the second helps you better. I am curious to see what some of your opions on my friends story his encounter?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Also thoose of you who are people of Science not to offend you but I feel sorry for you. Sure we all have our different beleifs and opions but being a person of faith I beileve in the ending procliamed by the Bible. Therefore which leads me to feel sorry for you non beilevers.

It says that God will bring all of thoose who are his followers to heaven and the noin beilevers will stay down on Earth. God and the angels will asccend down from heaven to fight Satan and his demons. War will cover the Earth and thoose who are which non beilevers will perise in a matter of 10 seconds.

There is more to the story but I thought I wouyld metion tha. So I would also like to see your veiw on that..............Here comes the critisicm! lol

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i believe in facts and god will not give me facts only illusions and ideas which are wrong. if we would have followed faith we would stil believe our planet was flat. scientist claiming otherwise were killed by saying it was round.

I don't belive in gods, I only follow science and facts even science fiction makes more sense then religion.
science fiction will many times become science facts.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Why do you have to be one or the other? As my signature
line says - science and religion can go together very well
and in fact if you use one to the exclusion of the other then
you come up short.

Science minus metaphysics isn't a complete picture.
Religion minus scientific fact is a fraud.

Gotta' have both.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jawaking1138
Also thoose of you who are people of Science not to offend you but I feel sorry for you. Sure we all have our different beleifs and opions but being a person of faith I beileve in the ending procliamed by the Bible. Therefore which leads me to feel sorry for you non beilevers.

It says that God will bring all of thoose who are his followers to heaven and the noin beilevers will stay down on Earth. God and the angels will asccend down from heaven to fight Satan and his demons. War will cover the Earth and thoose who are which non beilevers will perise in a matter of 10 seconds.

Right. In your world there a lot of sinners that will go to the pits of hell. Everyone who doens't do what you and petty dogmas say.

I don't need your sympathies. I'd rather be in hell then in heaven with the likes of you!

Have a nice day

Apocalypta is near

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Right. In your world there a lot of sinners that will go to the pits of hell. Everyone who doens't do what you and petty dogmas say.

I don't need your sympathies. I'd rather be in hell then in heaven with the likes of you!

Have a nice day

Apocalypta is near

Uh huh. Well apparently some people cannot have a civilized discussion. I have been nothing but nice here. I have stated my belieifs and opions and so have many others. I do not judge thoose who don't beileve in my opions. I am sure they are all really great people and everyone is entitled to their opions and beiliefs.

But to offend someone like you have done is totally out of line. I respect your beileifs even though I don't follow them. But why must you act out your hatred. This place is to have disscussions on different topis and this paticular one is very contreversail. I have seen noone else here throwing punchs.

As for thoose who keep saying they can't understand why you can't be both. I am asking do you beileve in the ways of God or science. For example. Do you beileve in the stories of creation in the Bible? Or do you beileve in evoloution or the Earth came from space dust.

I beileve in the creation from the Bible. I beileve God made all things and watchs over us. Many other of you beileve in other things which I have no problem with. I just don't beileve in it and have no plan in turning to thoose beiliefs. I am asking do you think things happen in the ways of God or because of Science. Not about scinetific discoveries and other such things.

The qeustion is pretty simple.I like Sceience. I like space exploration and many other things. They all intrest me. Although I beileve that these all came from God and not a matter of Science.

I have yet to hear from what you think of my friends story. His name is Seth by the way.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Also the way you talked of people of religon is entirely wrong in every single possible way.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
yes, im a scientist.
Yes in several fields.
err no - im not going to tell you what i did/do for a living, why should i?

I would have happily divulged information, but unfortunatly those with the real deal information are normally sidestepped for other sensational do do.

Sorry but theres always someone trying to make money from other peoples dreams. Ive seen stuff which goes with some of this fancible writing you read here and elsewhere. - but a h*ll of alot of what you read here is nothing more then fancible fiction.

The problem ufologists have now, is determing whats the real deal and whats a novel. Ill comment no further on my own experience with ebe technology. Its a shame us knowers arnt given more consideration. - thier loss - not mine.

[edit on 21-1-2006 by Im a true sceptic]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join