It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Airfield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Eh it's probably nothing, but I found something interesting. After looking at Area 51 on googleearth, it accidentally drifted and I landed on a weird airfield. It's located in South Eastern Nevada. The coordinates are: 37degrees 24'20.16"N 116degrees 14'09.60"W.

Like I said probably nothing, but it just seemed odd. There's no towns by it, not even a small one. It's completely surrounded by mountains. And there barely looks to be a control tower there. Kinda near area 51, but far enough not to be connected. Almost looks like it's in a depression of some sort.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Is it the runway with the black SUVs on it and the plane landing?
I found your coordinates hard to use.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Do you mean this?

^ The craters obviously indicate to bomb testing.

Maybe it's an underground base?

Also, just above the airfield, I found this:

Close-up:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Sorry about the coordinates. Hold on a minute and lemme whip out the camera.

Alright, here it is:

bah the pictures too big, so here's the link.

and the link: img205.imageshack.us...

[edit on 20/1/06 by SFRemmy]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There's also a plane on the runway, I don't know if it's landing/taking off or if it's scrapped and used for bombing though.
There seems to be a black SUV also. Possibly an airport for drug smuggling?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
If you zoom into the area north of the airfield, those gray things look like antennas/towers. Could be bombing targets, the rings would suggest that. To think....stupidity leads to something interesting.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Sounds like Tonopah Test Range. That's where they flew the F-117s out of. I'm not sure where exactly it's located in Nevada, just that it's in Nevada.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Another weird thing. Type in Area 51 and go STRAIGHT NORTH. There's a large group of fluorescent-like green circles. If they're grass, they're real out of place. Surrounded by barren patches of mountain. It says sundown spring on them, but I'm not sure...

Tonopah's slightly Northwest of that. Here's a link to it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
... There's a large group of fluorescent-like green circles. If they're grass, they're real out of place. Surrounded by barren patches of mountain. It says sundown spring on them, but I'm not sure...

Alfalfa with a pivot irrigation system. Water is kinda rare out there so any agriculture tends to be clustered around springs with a lot of empty inbetween.

Could be some other crop than alfalfa, but that is the likely suspect.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I can't believe people are still posting questions about the Nellis Air Force Range bombing targets (mock airfields, missiles sites, bunkers, etc.), Tonopah Test Range airfield, and the Penoyer Farms alfalfa fields near Rachel.

It seems that every few months, someone "discovers" these "mysterious" features on Google Earth. They have been discussed at length and identified on numerous other ATS threads and on the Dreamland Resort discussion forum.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Alright, Since I plan on going into the airforce, and I have studied about it intensivly, I can answer this for you. This airfield looks like a test field for the Tornado. The tornado is a type of air to ground strike jet.

www.airforce-technology.com...

That is a like to some information on the jet itself. From my study of the base itself, it looks like they have performed a multitude of manuvers on it. The northeaster corner of the base has three tank "slots". (used as protectivve barriers for the tanks). Go alitte to the left, and you see what could serve as G-T-A gun emplacments. A little more to the left and you see two more tank slots. In the middle of the airfield, is some more G-T-A gun emplacements, which have sustood a realitivly good pounding.

In my opinion, this was a practice strike field for pilots going to the middle east. I presume that this was used before Desert Storm.

I would be happy if someone would happen to know anything else about these airfields, for this has sparked my interest.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
I can't believe people are still posting questions about the Nellis Air Force Range bombing targets (mock airfields, missiles sites, bunkers, etc.), Tonopah Test Range airfield, and the Penoyer Farms alfalfa fields near Rachel.

It seems that every few months, someone "discovers" these "mysterious" features on Google Earth. They have been discussed at length and identified on numerous other ATS threads and on the Dreamland Resort discussion forum.

Second that!!

join