It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orlando Woman Checks in to Deliver Baby, Doctors Amputate her Arms and Legs Without Explanation!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This doesn't make sense. They make it sound like she woke up and had no arms or legs and was puzzled.

What did she say when they moved her to this other hospital? What did she say when they said 'here, take this pill, it'll put you to sleep'? There was no information like that, in the article or in the video.

www.wftv.com...
ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights.

Well what is it that she wants to know? What does other people having it matter? Did she or didn't she have it, or was told that she had it? Her husband looks pretty upset in the video. Personally, I'd be on killing spree time, not paper filing time. Maybe he's just waiting to complete the lawsuit and get some money for his family before he murders everyone involved. That'd be the way to go on that one.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
EEEEK! This is crazy! There's a definate risk of amputation with having Toxic Shock Syndrome*(TSS)*. I mean, they would've tried antibiotics and such first. She would've had biopsies from affected and un-affected sites to determine the best course of action. You'd think Her or Her husband would've noticed necrosis severe enough for quadruple amputation, right?

*(TSS)*- don't allow Your teenage daughters to use tampons. TSS is a major concern.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Well what is it that she wants to know? What does other people having it matter? Did she or didn't she have it, or was told that she had it?

You can thank the misguided HIPPA laws passed by the federal government. Medical records of anybody that was on the floor at the time cannot be legaly turned over by the hospital unless a court order is issued. I also wonder if consent is required from all those on the floor to release thier records for this as well.

In regards to the husband committing violence it is a sight that I have become all to familiar with and If physically threatened by family members in the cource of doing my job can and have called the police and pressed charges. Too many excuses "he was under stress" or other BS to justify the increasing number of assults on nurses and other healthcare workers

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
What, huh, how? Wow.

I can't imagine the terror she's going through. She now has no arms or legs..
Can't they like, put them back on her?

God I feel sick about this. How can this type of mistake happen!?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Too many excuses "he was under stress" or other BS to justify the increasing number of assults on nurses and other healthcare workers

Having all his wife's arms and legs chopped off grants him a free pass from me. Put I honestly can't imagine that neither of them had any idea what was going on and the 'poof' this happened. There's simply got to be more going on here.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I dont know the facts of the case to know what really happened, I do know those hospitals are flooded with patients and seem to lack good doctors and I expect many mistakes occur there. This is outrageous, hopefully our govenor, Jeb, can force the hospital to turn the records over to them. From what I've heard and the actions of the hospital, a cover-up by the hospital staff sounds like a possibility.

The Hippa laws interpretation defy any common sense. I just dont understand why a patient does not have access of their medical records at will. Even when a lawsuit is filed, obviously no compensation will repay the damage that has been done. A fitting punishment would be for those responsible, if negligence was the case, to get their arms,legs, and for good measure their genitals amputated, Hammurabi would agree.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by jrod]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Unbelieveable. I don't even know what to say. That poor woman and her family have to live with this for the rest of their lives and they haven't even been able to find out why.

This story isn't very clear or specific. The woman's limbs were amputated because she, sometime over the course of her hospital stay, contracted streptococcus, correct? All 4 limbs, amputated without her or her family's knowledge or consent?

FredT, you're a doctor, correct? What are your thoughts on the likelihood of this kind of thing to happening in a hospital?

So many questions, so few answers. I'm starting to feel like I can't even trust my doctor anymore.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well, I did a little research, and found that central Fl. is like the worst place in the world to get yourself hospitalized (if you don't enjoy contracting drug-resistant infections).

According to this PDF I found floating around:
www.doh.state.fl.us...

Rates have been higher there than the baseline, historically. It also means medical authorities have known about this for some time, on the order of a decade or more. There are still no safeguards developed?

How many other people at that hospital are currently infected? Is there any effort underway to pinpoint the vector, or is this type of infection just assumed to be everywhere at all times? Is it like the roulette table in Florida hospitals now? If you're lucky you go in and get infected and beat it. If you're unlucky..well, I guess they wheel you out.

A note: most modern tampons don't cause TSS, if I understand correctly it was a questionable material used in earlier 'models.' The TSS came from the infection, right? Too much toxin in her blood, and her extremities started to decay. At least, that's the way I understand it right now.

This story is essentially doomed from the start because there's practically zero chance of any new information being made available to the public. Likely they'll just settle out of court and be done with it. I'd really like to know what happened though. It seems like it could present a real public health risk if safeguards against infection aren't adequate.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
the hidden cause of deaths....

The seriousness of medical malpractice is such that it results in the death of around 90,000 Unites States citizens every year. Surprisingly, many of these medical malpractice cases stem from small mistakes that blow up into serious consequences

link
i have nothing else to say......

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
OMG thats really messed up. Prolly operated on the wrong person, or some mad doctor did it. Worst nightmare came true for that poor lady.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
You could wake up missing your eyes and a liver...

the chances of you "waking up" without eyes and a liver are slim

[edit on 21-1-2006 by Neutrino]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Man, this sure brings a new term to malpractice. I can't understand why they are saying that she had a staph infection. The last time I heard you could not diagnose this infection without the aid of a microscope after being cultured. I feel sorry for her. Don't you have to give them permission to even give you an asprin? As for the hospital it sounds as if they are stalling for time to CTA. I hope she gets every penny she can form this place they call a hospital.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This case can serve to remind us that we need to take some responsibility for ourselves in my opinion.

I am two days out from returinng from hospital after a 10 day stay for a major surgery. You can bet your ass that I asked lots of questions and didn'nt sign anything I did not completely understand

You better make sure your designated decision maker knows exactly what your wishes would be in many varied situations.

I had my surgery in a Swiss hospital and truley felt like I was at a resort. The medical care is world class.The amazing part is that I am unemployed right now...that's right! I have medical coverage no matter what my employment status. *shameless plug for swiss insurance laws*

The point is that we need to take some reponsibilty over our healthcare. We shouldn't be afraid to aks questions and demand answers. It is afterall our life we are talking about.

Apocalypta is near

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Tampa Bay ABC local news here showed this story, according to them her limbs were Gangrious, besides having Strep-A, and Toxic shock. In the video taped footage of her there were obvious scares/sores on the areas of her arms and legs that were left after the amputation. So can we just dispel with the idea that this is a malpractice case about operating on the wrong patient…

The real issue here is not that she wants to know why she lost her limbs, but how she contracted the diseases that caused it to happen. The hospitals stance in this tells exactly what happened, how she contracted it. She was obviously exposed to another patient that had this infection, or a staff member that was exposed to such a patient. That is why the hospital cannot tell her more then she knows, it would violate the HIPPA laws to tell her who she was exposed too, especially if it was an employee that might not have know what they were carrying at that time of her exposure to them.

In other words, nurse A works on patient A that has the infection and for whatever reason gets exposed to the infection (rubs her eye, gets into a hang nail, etc). Nurse A is now carrying the infection but does not realize it, then 5 hours later Nurse A has to go to delivery of Patient B’s baby. In the process, she inadvertently passes it to patient B. Now patient B having a lower immune system is more prone to the infection in her weakened state, symptoms appear, and rapidly the hospital realizes there is a problem. Hospitals keep medical records of all their employees to ensure they are compliant with their titers. At this point they would screen those at the delivery and realize that nurse A is carrying the infection and passed it. However, they cannot tell the patient B what occurred as nurse A is now under protection of HIPPA with her medical records as well as patient A.

Something like this is terrible, and regrettable, but it does fall under the hazards of being in a place where they care for the sick. Even though standard precautions are used, there is no way to ensure that any healthcare worker has not picked up something from the last patient, you cannot autoclave an employee between calls. It is a risk of the environment.

Link to video:
www.wfts.com...

Under video on demand section.
Woman goes into labor, comes out quadruple amputee

[edit on 1/21/2006 by defcon5]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join