It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it bad idea to turn Trident missiles into conventional weaponry?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Another question.
The range of the Trident missile makes targets available from it's US berths, on both coasts probably. Was there any capability or practice to be able to launch while at dock if the balloon went up? I have wondered about this a long time. While at dock it would be in effect an ICBM, no?

[edit on 19-2-2006 by Sandman11]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well a SSBN doesn't surface when it fires its missiles, pressurized gas pushes the missiles to the surface then the motor ignites. So if it was pier side would the gas be able to propel it through the air?
Also, it wouldn't offer you any advantages from land based missiles.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well a SSBN doesn't surface when it fires its missiles, pressurized gas pushes the missiles to the surface then the motor ignites. So if it was pier side would the gas be able to propel it through the air?
Also, it wouldn't offer you any advantages from land based missiles.

Oh I disagree.
It would offer total invulnerability or close enough to it, for when it was at sea, and if warning and targeting data were recieved prior to the SLBM sub base being hit it could launch whatever weapons were dockside with close to ICBM range. The only real difference is that the Trident wouldn't be able to withstand 2000 plus psi a Minuiteman 3 silo could withstand while in the predictable dockside location, but the Minuteman would be launched prior to being hit as per "launch on warning" as the US has subscribed to for about 20 or 30 years now. That is no longer strong enough for today's nuclear war strategy, so why not use the SLBMs at port as well in the same fashion?
And I believe a SLBM can be launched on the surface. It doesn't have to be submerged, as far as I know. Perhaps those with superior sources could confirm this but I am pretty sure.

[edit on 19-2-2006 by Sandman11]

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join