It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you buy a ticket for the space lottery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Some people are starting to talk about the proposed idea to have a national lottery to win a ticket into space as a way to fund future space missions. Other prizes in consideration would be rides on a F-16 or on the vomit comit or zero g simulator plane. Since lotteries make huge amounts of money I think this idea is a perfect one to make some cash for programs and space travel would definatly benifit. What do you think.. would this be a good idea or am i the only one thinking this?

I suggest a National Space Lottery as a new way of funding space flight systems, promoting space tourism and paying for the tickets of those who would fly. Many have spoken of our goals in space, but few offer ways to pay for them. The following proposal offers a possible solution.

The National Space Society should promote creation of a National Space Lottery. Ideally, this might become an International Space Lottery, and would offer the possibility of space flight, as a prize, to every man, woman and child on earth.

The problem with funding space efforts with tax dollars is that many say, “What’s in it for me?” To date, space has been reserved for scientists and rich tourists, like Dennis Tito and few imagine themselves as having a chance. A National Space Lottery will offer the possibility of space travel to everyone, rich or poor!

A Space Lottery would generate enormous worldwide publicity, a new fascination with space. Prizewinners would be followed like those of modern “Reality TV” shows. An International Space Lottery would be ideal. People all over the world, rich and poor, would share in the possibility of a ride into space. Space tourism could soon become a reality. Men, women and children everywhere sense that the destiny of humanity is elsewhere, and want to be part of the dream.
Space Lottery Article. SPace.com

mod edit to use "ex" instead of "quote"
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**
Quote Reference.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Personally I don't play the lottery but I think this is a cool idea. When the space tourism industry gets going only the rich will be able to enjoy that. Using this lottery until space tourism becomes affordable is a good way to include all types of people into this fantastic experience.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
in short?

HELL YEAH!

I dont play the lottery either but I'd play Space Lotto every day!

Not interested in an f16 ride while still very cool you cant beat space atm

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I would play if there was one, but only if the people got to take pictures of what they see up there and that public would be able to access what is being seen. As long as the people have some control and say in what occurs with the lottery. If the government ran it completely then I probably wouldn’t play. Unless the chances of winning were really good, then I’d play.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Bush wants NASA to establish some space colonies on the Moon,
but that's really unlikely. So yes, I would play the space lottery.

You think they'll let me drive for a little bit?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
does he really? he can't even get the problems of his own country sorted out, why would he want to create a new colony on a whoenother planet? Unless he figures he can create neew place and that would cancel out the stuff hes done on earth. I dont know. i'm just gald he will be out in 2008.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

why would he want to create a new colony on a whoenother planet?

The moon is not a planet, it is a moon, a natural satelite.

As for why, well why not, I mean it's a good idea, building an off-world colony.

Oh and as for the space lottery, I would'nt play it, there all fixed.

[edit on 1/20/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
oops my bad,
didn't think about it when i replied, thanks for correcting my mistake.
. and as to the why not answer why would bush want to create a new society kind of thing when he has a society to tak care of now? shouldn't you solve your problems first before creating more?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yes i would. I hope a laptop works up there. I want to get off this world.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's a cool idea, but they'd have to disqualify everyone who didn't meet the strict physical requirements. If nothing else, that could convince Americans to get serious about fitness.

I'd play for a chance to take place in long-term missions, but I wouldn't want to risk all those lives for what would amount to a stupid rollercoaster ride. Seems foolish just to shoot people up so they can fall back down.

Imagine the look on the faces of whatever intelligent beings are watching us do such a stupid thing. Like little kids with an antigravity platform, just mucking about. The wonders of the universe available for exploration, and we're using the tech to improve on the trampoline.

There's something wonderful about the childlike aspect of our species..and there's something terrifying about it as well. I hope the universe is ready for us.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I figured by now someone would offer to buy me at least 10 tickets.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
You can now participate for only 2$: www.sendme2space.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
"When deep space exploration ramps up, it'll be the corporations that name everything, the IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks." - Fight Club (1999)

top topics

join