It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble chases exploding stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Observations of distant supernovae - exploding stars - made by the Hubble telescope give new information on the so-called dark energy of the cosmos.
This mysterious force explains the 1998 discovery that the expansion of the Universe is actually accelerating.

The amazing finding was produced by examining the acceleration's effect on the light coming from supernovae.

Now, Hubble has provided the best data to confirm the phenomenon and limit the nature of the dark energy itself.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So what do you think Dark Energy is? Do you think we will ever be able to embrace it for ourselves?
So it now looks almost certain that this energy is making the Universe accelerate, but surely this can't go on forever...
Will this ever slow down or do you believe that the Universe will eventually collapse back on itself? Do you think that Dark Energy has a purpose?

Oh the questions...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm not too sure about any dark energy, as I'm not really the bill nye in here. However, it sounds really Iffy to me. It just makes me think that anything as powerful as that just CAN'T be stable, can it? Plus I heard somewhere (Not sure if it's related) that just a teaspoon of antimatter could destroy earth.
Anyhow, that's all I know about anything like that. Let me know. Peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I thought that antimatter would onlt destroy its own ammount in matter????

join