It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale in London Thames,

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Pilot whales are the same type that you always see beaching themselves, obviously not the cleverest of creatures, maybe the name is ironic

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Forget your damned tea and crumpets for a minute and save the freakin' whales.

Funny. Really funny.

Anyway, what could we do? You say tranqing it would probably would kill it, which is probably true. There is nothing else though.

I guess it would be different in America. You lot could just shoot it.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Zanzibar]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Is this possibly another sign of Global Climate Changes?

Did you know thatr Russia~~Moskow are are having RECORD LOWS...It's true....

This lonely whale may very well be some kind of sign.....of course, he may have just goten lost too , right?> Doubt that..Ill? Maybe..

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This in itself is a phenomenon, nobody knows why Dolphins and whales loose there way, but why do i get the feeling that we humans are the one's responsible, something very wrong is happening i dont know what it is but i know that we'll end up paying for it in the end.

Its so bad they have to commit suicide.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by isisinanna
Is this possibly another sign of Global Climate Changes?

Did you know that Russia~~Moscow are are having RECORD LOWS...It's true....

This lonely whale may very well be some kind of sign.....of course, he may have just gotten lost too , right?> Doubt that..Ill? Maybe..

This has happened before in the UK over a number of years, I think it has just been sick whales.

DrLove if you have nothing over, then unfunny, offencive, stereo-types, please go and annoy some one else.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh

DrLove if you have nothing over, then unfunny, offencive, stereo-types, please go and annoy some one else.

I'm really starting to get fed up with the stereotypes, it makes me really annoyed.

Anyhoo..................it looks like we'll have to wait till the morning until we get anymore news, no-ones going to hear anything at night. Hope he makes it through.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Ummm...not to put too fine a point on it...but I was under the impression that there was a measureable amount of coc aine in the Thames, what with london's drug epidemic.

COuld this have somethign to do with it?

DE

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Ummm...not to put too fine a point on it...but I was under the impression that there was a measureable amount of coc aine in the Thames, what with london's drug epidemic.

COuld this have somethign to do with it?

DE

Hmm, so we have giant water-borne cokeheads in the U.K as well as the regulars now?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
ok guys, please my thread is about this whale and its whereabouts :@)

Thanks,

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
My question was serious. Could be what lured the whale in the first place. I'm looking to the why the whale is there in the first place- it is a saltwater mammal. Why would it be in a freshwater river?

DE

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
well could be 1 of many things,

one being that it is very ill, ie brain tumour or such,

another being that there may be noises under the ocean such as sub training or possible volcanic movment causing a sound,

there is also increased sprat in the Thames so could have even been look for food,

These bottle nosed whales even being near the UK is very rare indeed.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If this whale depends on sonar perhaps it is being confused by other electrical signals either by manmade machines or perhaps the electromagnetic field of the earth somehow is changing a little? The same that affects compasses and that helps or guides birds to fly south and migrate? If the earth is indeed changing, either due to natural age or human pollution and intervention then perhaps we are not just affecting the o-zone, weather, tectonic plates with our inscessent drilling and pollutant chemicals in the oceans, but perhaps we are also affecting the geographical electromagnetic fields of the earth ever so slightly to cause those underwater dwellers with sonar and who are sensative to it to become confused?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm with iamian on this, it's a bad sign, and it's grim watching it unfold.

According to the BBC (at 21.48) our friend here may have been spotted at Greenwich, so hopefully on it's way back down to pick up the salt road and out on it's way to safety. The 'Southend whale' is getting a mention in the news links now too. Overly sentimental, and overly anthropomorphic as this is, but it would be great if they were travelling together and both make it out ok.

I'll directly quote the relevant bit of the BBC text if I may, as it will probably get replaced later as the story develops:

BBC News
A possible sighting of a whale in the River Thames near Greenwich has given fresh hope that it may soon reach the sea and ultimately safety.
[...]
Tony Woodley, of the British Divers Marine Life Rescue Group, said it was spotted by a member of public at around 2045 GMT in Greenwich.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news here ...

Maybe OT a bit, but I recall reading (in print tho' - so no linky) that no more than a couple of hundred years ago (clearly once we started messing around with yet another environment), whales could communicate from one ocean basin to another, and that since that time their world (as defined by the distance of their sound) has shrunk and shrunk to the point that it is becoming accepted that this is now negatively affecting their mental health. (I'll keep looking online as it would have been in National Geographic or BBC wildlife or a similar relevant publication).

This page does talk a bit about the whale sounds travelling very long distances to kinda back up the sound part of my recollection.

From an article on www.biologynews.net
“Whales have very traditional feeding grounds and their migratory routes along coastlines have become incredibly noisy, urbanized habitats,” [Cornell researcher Christopher W. Clark] explains. “Acoustic smog is shrinking their world.”

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
in the whale and not wanting to go off into somewhere over the rainbow!(coacaine in the Thames - Please!) - the whales is supposed to be at Greenwich - some miles down river from the original media and sightings. Some wildlife boats are trying to follow it and ensure it gets back to the sea in safety.

FWIW - this was a story about a trapped mammal - probably one of the closest creatures on earth to us - and it is this creature we are interested in - if anyone would care to debate the quality of UK water supplies or substances within it I am happy to do so - and call upon my previous colleagues at Seven Trent Water and Thames Water to provide the necessary scientific details for those who choose to deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
least this is a little piece of hope!

Im reallly rooting for this lovley creature to get back out there in the ocean,

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Link

Astonishingly, scientists even found that water from the Thames already treated by sewage works still held an estimated concentration of 20,000 doses, or 80,000 lines, of coc aine.

Another Link, because I'm cool like that.

Yes. The Thames is quite clean. Cocaine everywhere. Cocaine would affect whales, right? Especially since it's eating/breathing from the cokewater, right?

DE

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thames Water - that must make me one happy person then - must put a lot of dealers off London as a place to make a score - hmm one problem though - if salmon run in the river - something I know for a fact - the PPM concentration must be pretty small - hmmm well they do say that 65% of all UK bank notes have Coke content on them. Sod the whale lets make some issue about some PPM content in solution. I am so sorry that you choose to make an issue so important over the life of this beautiful animal - get a grip please - who gives a damn about bear trace elememnts. I am deeply sad that you want to chase such a silly tale down - still deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
and in the interests of science - 20,000 doses in what concentration? 1m .75m ? the article is quite ambivalent on that ? A break out table detailing - as you see on a bottle of perrier might be interesting - as might one on other major sources of water about the world

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
whale goes on holiday looks at big ben and wants to party with the brits.actually its global warming and expect large squid to visit next week looking for a good holiday inn....

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The news about the Whale being heading out to Greenwich has panned out to not be the case,

The whale sadly has been re spotted not very far from where it was this afternoon

The tide will change again soon which will make it harder for the whale then to swim against the tide as its already weak,

I really hope someone steps in soon to at least help this whale or at least test it to see if its ill or not,

I cant bare the thought of it there being all scared ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join