It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 1974 (3) secret tunnels were found under North Korea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Three secret tunnels were discovered under north korea in 1973, they were desighned to facilitate secret troop movements.

Underground Tunnels to Infiltrate Commando Troops.

On November 15, 1974, a Korea-U.S joint team, at about 8 km northeast of Korangpo, discovered an underground tunnel extending from the north deep into Korean territory. In the tunnel, the joint team collected several pieces of Soviet-made dynamite sticks and a North Korean-made telephone along with various traces indicating the tunnel was obviously dug by the North Korean army.

The U.N. Command made a protest to North Korea and proposed that North Korea and the U.N. Command must conduct a joint investigation of the tunnel.

North Korea rejected the proposal and insisted that it had nothing to do with the tunnel and that the tunnel incident was fabricated by the U.N. side.

Full Story Here:

www.koreascope.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yes, please come over and snoop through all of our underground tunnels and facilities. The UN really is rediculous, as is the US.

I do not understand their logic in believing they have the right to uncover every little nook and cranny in every country including WMD, bio, etc... The US is probably the biggest violator on all counts, yet they still feel they have the right to order other countries to disclose their secrets.

I love listening to insecure american schmucks talk about security etc...america = global hypocrite.

To get back on topic, it is likely that most countries have underground facilities for the transportation of various materials in order to be undetected. This is not anything new.

The end.

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by Lukefj]

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Lukefj.

I know it's nothing new, this is an article from 1974. ?

And i am sure that South Korea was very interested in knowing exactly what these tunnel systems were desighned for.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
queenari,

I was not attacking your post at all. It is interesting to know that a country like North Korea has a secret tunnel system. However, I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of demanding to see the extent of them by the US or UN.

I did see that the article was from 74, that's fine, this might be of increasing significance given current events involving this country recently.

I am also sure that South Korea is interested in knowing the designs for the tunnels. However, I'm also sure that there are plenty fo things about S. Korea that N. Korea would like to know about.

WE all have secrets.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Lukefj, when will you ever learn to look closer before going into a "hate america" diatribe... The UN had to be involved because it was a serious incident. The tunnels that you say should remain secret were under another country...South Korea. I think if America started to dig a bunch of tunnels under Canada... you would say what.? go away capitalist pig? Canada would probably ask America to stop, and if that didn't work you would cry to the UN also. South Korea had a right to be worried and the UN had a right to step in. I hope if they see precursors to war in any nation, that they would act. True, it might not do any good physically. But at least it would bring public condemnation to the "secret project". I still have hopes that the UN will ask for disclosure of captured alien artifacts someday (for the good of humanity). But then, we all know aliens don't really exist.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I agree, I wouldn't want Americans digging under Canada or anywhere else....but, they do. maybe in coalition with the Canadian government, but not in the public eye....what about Pine Gap?

I don't hate America, but I do feel they overstep their bounds frequently. In this case the UN did step in, but the US was joint discoverer of the tunnels. Simple solution for unauthorized tunnels under your country...explore them and explode them or use them for your own purposes.

problem solved.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I remember reading a story in a future war (2006) book and it touched upon this korean scenario, intelligence suggestions the north koreans do have tunnels however there are sophisticated seismic sensors put in place by the US Government and South Korean counterparts, however i wouldnt put it past the north koreans to dig them by hand instead of using heavy plant machinery.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Lukefj -
Please remember that the U.N. and the U.S. are completely different... The U.S. just happens to be the MVP of the U.N.

On one hand you have a very valid point...I agree that the U.S. gets involved in many situations where involvment is un-warranted. By supporting any country, or activist group, the U.S. will always make enemies.

However, if the U.S. did not step up to the plate and make countries (i.e. Iraq) comply with U.N. directives, then who would?? The French?
We know the answer there... It is imperative that countries be held in check by inspections etc... our government just makes the mistake of being the first and only country to readily run to the aid of the U.N.

Don't blame our country for attempting to keep the world at peace...blame the terrorists and other harm-seeking activist groups for attempting to upset the balance of life on the planet earth!!

That's just the way I feel...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The 2000 Report to Congress
Military Situation on the Korean Peninsula.

September 12, 2000

THE ROLE OF THE UNITED NATIONS COMMAND (UNC) IN KOREA

1. The role of the UNC is to uphold the terms of the Korean War Armistice Agreement until South and North Korea reach a permanent peace settlement.

In the event of renewed hostilities in Korea, the UNC�s role is to coordinate the military efforts of the ROK, the US, and other UNC member nations to resist the attack.

2. On July 7, 1950, United Nations Security Council (Resolution 84) determined that the North Korean armed attack upon the Republic of Korea (ROK) constituted a breach of the peace and recommended UN member states make military forces and other assistance available to a "unified command" -- the UNC -- under the United States, to repel the North Korean armed aggression and restore international security in the region. The US, ROK and 15 other UN member states provided military forces to the UNC.

Five other nations provided medical support.

3. The Commander-in-Chief, UNC (CINCUNC), signed the 27 July 27, 1953 Korean Armistice Agreement to stop the Korean conflict, on behalf of 16 UNC member states and the ROK. The Korean Armistice Agreement, which is purely military in character, pertains solely to the belligerents in the Korean conflict.

The objective of the Armistice Agreement is to ensure a complete cessation of hostilities in Korea by all armed forces until a final peace settlement is achieved.

4. Under the provisions of the Armistice Agreement, the Military Armistice Commission (MAC) was established to enforce the terms of the Agreement. However, since North Korea and China abandoned the MAC in the early 1990s, the UNC has had to rely on an improvised general officer level dialogue with the Korean People�s Army (KPA) to discuss Armistice related issues.

There have been 11 General Officer level meetings held since 1998.

5. The Korean Peoples Army (KPA) is determined to undermine the MAC and UNC structure. Nevertheless the UNC continues to carry out its functions and fulfill its obligations under the mandate of the Armistice Agreement. For the past 47 years, the UNC has been a vital factor in preventing the resumption of hostilities on the Korean Peninsula.

www.defenselink.mil...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
there are many tunnels that go all under the americas that probably do not end in usa...
and we freely steal oil off the coast of mexico with no problem...
ist that why saddam invaded kuwait...
hey, at least he decided to honorably handle their citizens after takeover, be it death or countryship...

new topics

top topics

join