It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile Phones Do Not Cause Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
In a recenty-published article in the British Medical Journal, a study sponsored in part by the EU and mobile phone manufacturers has concluded that there is no link established between mobile phone use and cancer.

www.timesonline.co.uk
USING a mobile phone does not increase the risk of a deadly brain cancer, the biggest study so far has indicated.
Although it is impossible to say that there is no risk at all, the authors say that the data they have gathered so far provide no evidence of one.

Fears about mobile phones have not discouraged the public from buying and using them, but have encouraged a wave of research and reports from advisory bodies. Little good scientific evidence exists to show that they are a threat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What amazes me about this study is that they allowed part-funding from mobile phone companies! Despite assurances that the money was passed on by a third party and 'firewalls' were in place to prevent bias, surely the study authors would have recognized that perception of a conflict of interest is as relevant as actual bias to public opinion.

Another highly amusing part of the results discussion was that there *was* an apparent association between glioma incidence onthe side of the head where mobile phones were used, however, 'The researchers say that this finding is probably due to bias: people who get gliomas are inclined afterwards to say that whichever side of the head the tumours appear was the side on which they used their phone.'. Hmm.

I use a mobile phone and really tend not to worry too much about the health issues, but really, maybe I've been hanging around ATS too long......this study just makes me raise my eyebrows and try to read between the lines.

[edit on 25-1-2006 by asala]

join