It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Lunas NM Decalogue Stone

page: 1

join
share:
Cug

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I ran across this the other day. I did a few searches here and came up with nothing of note.

Outside of Los Lunas New Mexico there is a rock that seems to have part of the 10 Commandments (Decalogue) inscribed on it in ancient Hebrew. What I find most interesting was that when it first was discovered 1850 (Well the local native americans stated the rock pre-dated them coming into the area) this form of Hebrew was not understood. Kinda leaves out a forgery I'd say.

More info:
www.webcom.com...
econ.ohio-state.edu...
unitedisrael.org... Ancient-Hebrew-Inscription-in-Los-Lunas-New-Mexico.html

Any ideas?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
I ran across this the other day. I did a few searches here and came up with nothing of note.

Outside of Los Lunas New Mexico there is a rock that seems to have part of the 10 Commandments (Decalogue) inscribed on it in ancient Hebrew. What I find most interesting was that when it first was discovered 1850 (Well the local native americans stated the rock pre-dated them coming into the area) this form of Hebrew was not understood. Kinda leaves out a forgery I'd say.

More info:
www.webcom.com...
econ.ohio-state.edu...
unitedisrael.org... Ancient-Hebrew-Inscription-in-Los-Lunas-New-Mexico.html

Any ideas?

Interesting find. Hope it's real.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
That's very interesting. Looks like they took their time and used proper penmanship and layout also. The scribe responsible should be proud. I can imagine a couple apprentices holding the string straight as he worked on it.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
is there a translation? i couldn't see one on those links, did i miss it?
be cool to see what it says

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Here is a translation of the writings according to the first link

Again according to the link, here is a modern day translation

Here is a modern-day English translation of the Los Lunas Decalogue:

I am Jehovah your God who has taken you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slaves. There must be no other gods before my face. You must not make any idol. You must not take the name of Jehovah in vain. Remember the sabbath day and keep it holy. Honour your father and your mother so that your days may be long in the land that Jehovah your God has given to you. You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not give a false witness against your neighbour. You must not desire the wife of your neighbour nor anything that is his.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cug

Well, I do know something of where this could have come from.
There were God-worshipping people in the americas before Columbus arrived, people that melded with and/or were killed off by the rest of the Native Americans of the time, a people that lived the law of moses (for the most part) and had remnants of the language from the west
Christ even visited these people after His resurrection, as He said in John 10:16 ""

Check it out for yourself, though.
You've prolly heard of the record of these people before. It's called The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. You can find more info at
www.mormon.org
jesuschrist.lds.org...

or ask me as many questions as you want
Have a nice life

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It looks to be more like 9th century BCE script than later.

www.mhccorp.com...

The earlier script was more square and right angular.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This was largely determined to be a hoax by UNM students, who would have had access to materials to crudely reconstruct the languages. There are disparities in its use on the stone itself, AND at least two prominent translations which are completely unrelated to each other in terms of content conveyed. Ill try and find links. Fun hike, though! And the mesa has actual petroglyphs all over it, as well as ruins of buildings nearly 1,000 years old. Alas, I went and visited this stone myself, and it was unimpressive/clearly a recent activity when compared to any of the sites other cultural attributes.

ETA**

Here's a detailed read on the Los Lunas Mystery Stone
Also some good skeptical reading on it

edit on 13-6-2014 by Taj Mikel because: (no reason given)

top topics

join